You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

He's obviously a manc because he skimmed over the only positive from the game... Sturridge and Sterling, putting that solely down to them being at the same club, he didn't even mention the clubs name, just briskly moved through those prose as an adjunct for his praise of Phil Jones.

Then talks about Ferguson's tactical use of Jones before lumping the praise on yes you guessed it Van Gaal for last nights famous victory. No mention of Hodgson whatsoever, no mention of the tedium, no mention of weetabix head going missing as always, no mention of shot's on target, just a propaganda piece on Phil Jones deflecting away from reality.

What i want to know is how he gets away with it? how one of the editors doesn't say to him "hang on there's virtually nothing on England in this, you've just wrote about Man United here, you were meant to cover the England game weren't you?".

Barclay has lost jobs at most of the major papers in the last few years and can't get a permanent gig anymore - the Standard work is apparently paid by piece.

• Upvote 1

Hodgson is shite and the master of playing down expectations. But I think most of you are underestimating the difference between domestic and International football. Nearly every manager managing national teams are pretty clued up tactically. Its not like watching English football where most teams are coached poorly.

Throw in England are and have been the Stoke of international football for my lifetime under many different coaches. One or two different coaches may make them easier on the eye. But results wise stick a squad of 22 English players and more often than not they stink out the place. England are lucky there are more weak teams in the Euro qualifying phase as they would have struggled to qualify otherwise.This isn't to say I will not enjoy hodgson being vilified and mocked as he considers himself one of the great managers of the past 30 years the mentalist.

The extra teams has given them a very very easy group. It will also be fun to watch how Gary Neville distances himself from Hodgson to avoid getting his reputation damaged. Neville's fingerprints are all over this as well but only a matter of time until he gets the gig. Neville getting the job would be even dafter than Hodgson. A man whose claim to the job is he talks a good game on Sky. I would like to see him analyze his and Hodgsons shit.

The extra teams has given them a very very easy group. It will also be fun to watch how Gary Neville distances himself from Hodgson to avoid getting his reputation damaged. Neville's fingerprints are all over this as well but only a matter of time until he gets the gig. Neville getting the job would be even dafter than Hodgson. A man whose claim to the job is he talks a good game on Sky. I would like to see him analyze his and Hodgsons shit.

They may as well try something like that.  Who else is there?  Who else would even want it?

Capello and Sven were tactically astute, but still England were shit. 

Until the FA grow a pair of balls and go for a foreign coach who follows the Biesla school of high pressure and intensity then England will continue to look lumpen and lethargic.

Doubt that would have made one iota of difference in Brazil weather conditions. If a team has high pressure and intensity good coaches can offer strategies to overcome this. England as a footballing nation are average and overated apart from a couple of players and their depth is getting even worse. But most contries have a decent few see a small country like Bosnia and Herzegovina and also Wales. Pjanic and Dzeko, Bale, Ramsey as an example. England is the country that touted Downing as the solution to their left sided problem and gets excited by Townsend.They might as well retire from international football and stop pretending.

In Hodgson's world, he sends his teams out with the best preparation any group of players are likely to ever get. Then when they stink the place out with turgid performances grounded by his preparations, he's so thin-skinned when it comes to any form of criticism about himself and his methods that he'll look for the flimsiest of positives (number of shots blocked, etc) or negatives (the opposition isn't of a high enough standard to make the fans give a shit about attending, etc). And if all else fails, he'll throw his players under the bus. In Hodgson's world, nothing is ever his fault. 38 years of experience can't be wrong.

• Upvote 5

Doubt that would have made one iota of difference in Brazil weather conditions. If a team has high pressure and intensity good coaches can offer strategies to overcome this. England as a footballing nation are average and overated apart from a couple of players and their depth is getting even worse. But most contries have a decent few see a small country like Bosnia and Herzegovina and also Wales. Pjanic and Dzeko, Bale, Ramsey as an example. England is the country that touted Downing as the solution to their left sided problem and gets excited by Townsend.They might as well retire from international football and stop pretending.

Good coaches can offer strategies to overcome anything, but at least with a more progressive thinking coach they could work to the one area they have a possible advantage, namely that the players are at home in a fairly intense league.

As for Downing, I hardly think England - as a country, unified in voice and thought - touted him as anything. The media get ahead of themselves by the odd display that isn't dogshit, hence the Townsend excitement.

Most international teams have a core of a few good players and a load of serviceable ones, the key is organising them in a way that plays to their strengths. At a slow pace England look terrible, always have, always will.

"The young players, as Wayne rightly points out, they were thrown in the deep end here (world cup), unfortunately they didn't swim on that occasion".

It's listening to absolute crap like this that makes me still hate the cunt even though he's no longer our problem. England's best player at the tournament was Sterling you stupid owl faced cunt. How dare you try and blame your ineptitude and dinosaur football on the youngsters. 

• Upvote 4

They may as well try something like that.  Who else is there?  Who else would even want it?

I understand the need to have an Englishman managing England. But if Neville has been his number two he is complicit in the failure of Hodgson in my view. I also think it is a bit of an insult to coaches who spend many years learning their trade to give it to Neville whoose sole coaching experience is working under hodgey and highlights the cult of personality that is so wrong with English football.

Maybe they should move away from a name and seek a coach and not of the tactics Timmy type. If that person does not exist then that surely tells you about a deeper problem. It also raises the issue of who has been nurturing the next generation of player.

But I still think England's record over the past however long shows their true level. Rather than blaming individual managers.

I understand the need to have an Englishman managing England. But if Neville has been his number two he is complicit in the failure of Hodgson in my view. I also think it is a bit of an insult to coaches who spend many years learning their trade to give it to Neville whoose sole coaching experience is working under hodgey and highlights the cult of personality that is so wrong with English football.

Maybe they should move away from a name and seek a coach and not of the tactics Timmy type. If that person does not exist then that surely tells you about a deeper problem. It also raises the issue of who has been nurturing the next generation of player.

But I still think England's record over the past however long shows their true level. Rather than blaming individual managers.

Step forward Stuart Pearce and Gareth Southgate.

Henry Winter on Talkshite: "criticise Roy as much as you want but what's the alternative?".

The FA make most of their decisions based on the opinions of gobshites like him so who is he to ask that question? These cunts champion mediocrity and help create a culture where people in the game are happy to make big bucks and have smoke blown up their arses by their mates in the media here despite being far below the standards of their peers in other countries where there are fewer resources. They are a significant reason as to why there is a dearth of alternatives.

• Upvote 1

Henry Winter on Talkshite: "criticise Roy as much as you want but what's the alternative?".

Well they had Sven a man who gave them arguably England's greatest ever one off result and a manager who also qualified easily for tournaments and always got them to the quarters at least, but he's not there now as he was hounded out by the likes of Winter and co...

A bit like Capello another top manager who the press with their xenophobic tendacies was got shut of.

He should really be irrelevant but I can't stop hating this cunt every time I see his stupid fucking face on tv. There is a Sky billboard a few miles from where I live. It’s Woy in our pressroom when Joe Cole was signed. It’s still up there and it does my head in every time I see it. I even ended up writing to Sky to tell them to take that shite down but didn’t get a response and now I think they are leaving it up there just to wind me up!

• Upvote 1

Agger had him sussed four years ago.....

Daniel Agger has criticised the Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson's tactics, according to reports. The Danish defender, who was a late substitute in Sunday's 3-2 defeat by Manchester United at Old Trafford, was quoted as saying on a Danish television programme: "The manager has a philosophy that we're playing football further up the pitch and then you have to play a different kind of football at the back."

According to the Daily Express, Agger continued: "That's not my style. That's not the type of football player I am. I like to keep the ball on the ground. And I'm going to keep doing that. Whether he'll use me or not, time will tell.

"I guess I'll try to change even though I'm not going to be the player that unloads the ball every single time I get it. I'll fight for my chance. I'll get the chance. I know what I represent and I think he [Hodgson] knows that."

Agger was reported to have repeated his view on another Danish TV programme, saying: "Our play has changed, so I'll have to adjust a bit. But to be honest, I'm not going to adjust 100%. I'm a footballer who keeps the ball on the floor. I'm here to play, not to unload."