You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Aquilani too although i think the boat's sailed as far as his Liverpool career is concerned

Aquilani....the Italian Enigma.

Dont care for stats or what he has done in Italy or under Rafa and Roy.

Point is can he be a decent addition to the squad with King Kenny in charge?

Well the answer is yes.

In a team where you play a pass and move philosophy then it is important that you have players that can actually do that...be it forwards, midfielders or defenders, they all have to contribute to that style of play.

Aquilani has that in him, and I saw that player ever so briefly under Rafa.

I just hope that if he comes back, our fans give him a chance to flourish because I know that he will.

I saw it in Lucas and I see it in him.

In lucas you also saw a backbone though. In Aquilani, not so sure.

Very true, but once Aquilani gets going I think he are going to see a rare attribute in the player that is somewhat unknown to us.

Flair.

I am not going to state that Aquilani has got what it takes to survive in the Premier League but I can say that he has a place in our squad as an attacking midfielder. He can pass, shoot, use both feet and can make space for himself when in the opposition half.

That will create space for others to move in to.

People should not be quick to say that he was shit, he was just not used correctly and when we did get a manager that can bring out the best in him, he was loaned out. There is still something I feel that we have not seen from Aquilani and I am sure that has not come out in Juventus either.

Of course he has to want to be here to start with, have the right state of mind.

If he doesnt however and we get a good price for him, I aint going to cry over him....good luck to him and may the force be with him.

it was never a case of him not cutting it in the league. it was him not fitting in to the sterile, static style of play under rafa for the most part. on the odd occasions when we did move the ball quickly and we had good movement, he looked class.

id have him back in an instant, certainly ahead of someone like Charlie Adam, and with that nagging feeling i have that we're going to be seeing less and less of Gerrard in the team. Aquilani is someone that could play that attacking midfielder/second striker role quite well.

that said i don't see him coming back. Juve quite rightly are looking to do as good a deal as they can. they are calling our bluff, and we are calling theirs right back.

I didn't see anything from him here that would warrant us having him back and from the little I have seen and what I have heard from others that follow Italian football, neither has he done much in Serie A either. I don't think he has a future here.

Very true, but once Aquilani gets going I think he are going to see a rare attribute in the player that is somewhat unknown to us.

Flair.

I am not going to state that Aquilani has got what it takes to survive in the Premier League but I can say that he has a place in our squad as an attacking midfielder. He can pass, shoot, use both feet and can make space for himself when in the opposition half.

That will create space for others to move in to.

People should not be quick to say that he was shit, he was just not used correctly and when we did get a manager that can bring out the best in him, he was loaned out. There is still something I feel that we have not seen from Aquilani and I am sure that has not come out in Juventus either.

Of course he has to want to be here to start with, have the right state of mind.

If he doesnt however and we get a good price for him, I aint going to cry over him....good luck to him and may the force be with him.

Well said, I agree entirely. One of the things I've noticed about Meireles is that his very short, quick-tempo passing is actually very erratic. I've doubts that Aquilani could put in the shift that Meireles does but for me there's no question he would excel in the attacking aspect of that role.

I didn't see anything from him here that would warrant us having him back and from the little I have seen and what I have heard from others that follow Italian football, neither has he done much in Serie A either. I don't think he has a future here.

But thats just it. We watch Liverpool week in week and we know exactly whats going on with our club (players, formations, positions etc). How do we know that Aquilani is really been deployed correctly or even used properly within a certain formation???

I know there is a player in him and it will take a proper manager with a certain kind of philosophy to bring out the best in him.

Neither Rafa nor Roy were those manager and neither is Juventus with their negative tactics.

I think King Kenny fits the bill and with our current set-up I think that we will see a new kind of Aquilani thriving here in the Premier League.

Proving he comes of course....

Whenever I take my seat in the Main Stand, I passionately hope Alberto Aquilani will show his true colours. Liverpool resigned themselves to Alonso leaving for Real Madrid, so Rafa had plenty of time to pick a midfield replacement, and Aquilani was his choice. Unfortunately, he arrived from Roma with an ankle injury, a frustration for him, Rafa and everybody at Liverpool. Whenever I've observed Aquilani, he seems quite alert, seeing a pass. I saw his excitement when scoring at the Lop against Portsmouth and Atletico Madrid, a reaction that proves how desperately he wants his transfer to work. out. I believe he has a real desire to show people he's better than they imagine. He cannot complain, though. It's the nature of football for there to be criticism if someone arrives for £20 million and struggles to deliver in his first season. Sympathy was always going to be in short supply for Alberto. I heard people whisper, 'why did Liverpool pay that for him. Look at the state of him.' I felt that to be unfair, because, after all, he was returning to fitness after an operation. Missing pre-season was especially damaging, particularly for a new signing from abroad, unfamiliar with the frenetic pace of English football. So I'll reserve judgement on Alberto Aquilani until well into this season. If he has an injury-free run, Anfield can judge Aquilani properly.

The words of Kenny Dalglish in his book. I'm not sure he's counting down the days until his return, but he didn't need to write the above. If he didn't rate him, he could have kept quiet on the matter and nobody would have noticed. If Juventus don't offer a really good deal on him, I think he'll be back, and I wouldn't be entirely unhappy with that.

Does anyone really think he'll be back?

Just cos Kenny said that in his book doesnt mean he'd do the same as boss.

Spearings just signed a new deal, Lucas has excelled, we'll probably buy another CM in the summer, Stevie to come back plus Raul, there's no space for alberto.

Buying another CM depends on wherever Aquilani stays or goes. We can then use the money to buy another class CM.

But I would not be too worried if we went into next season with Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Aquilani and Jonjo.

That gives us ample of cover and quiality.

If they will agree to pay us £10M I think we should cut our losses tbh.

Yes he had a very difficult first season but from what I saw, I saw nothing at all to suggest he was ever worth what we paid for him.

If he came back I couldn't see him ever being a regular in our team, a good squad player and somebody who can do a job when required but nothing more.

Buying another CM depends on wherever Aquilani stays or goes. We can then use the money to buy another class CM.

But I would not be too worried if we went into next season with Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Aquilani and Jonjo.

That gives us ample of cover and quiality.

I think we are lightweight in the centre of midfield & need a proper defensive midfielder, as we can find teams streaming through us at the central defenders.

I would be happier with the above list if it had M'Vila rather than Aquilani in it & I would assume the £10m /£12m from Benito's mate would cover most of the cost.

I think we are lightweight in the centre of midfield & need a proper defensive midfielder, as we can find teams streaming through us at the central defenders.

I would be happier with the above list if it had M'Vila rather than Aquilani in it & I would assume the £10m /£12m from Benito's mate would cover most of the cost.

Any upgrades are welcome but to be honest recently our CM has been anything but lightweight and the CHs have had next to nothing to do. The screening has been superb especially when you consider the extra work they've had to do helping out the young full backs.

With Gerrard back in the mix the balance may need adjusting though.

Aquilani certainly has flair but he also shies from physical contact and goes missing on the pitch for large parts of many games, quite apart from his injury record.

Given that I also reckon he just doesn't fancy it here, I hope personally that we can get rid for a decent-ish price.