You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm scared more than anything that he has NESV convinced this is the players fault and not his gutless tactics.

It is obvious the gameplan is score and then retreat to cling on for dear life. Thats not the players fault.

Well they brought in Commoli now...so it wont be too long before this is cleared up.

i have a feeling he will still get until the end of the year/

The crazy thing is that it is those who wanted Rafa gone the most, for exactly the reasons stated above who are now Woy's biggest defenders.... I just don't understand this!!

To replace Rafa with someone even more negative and defensive minded speaks volumes of Purslow and the Boards incompetence on football matters and how little they know/knew of the fans wish for more attractive football!

Thankfully that's all in the past. You're better off looking forward and saving yourself the ulcers.

I'm scared more than anything that he has NESV convinced this is the players fault and not his gutless tactics.

It is obvious the gameplan is score and then retreat to cling on for dear life. Thats not the players fault.

Well they brought in Commoli now...so it wont be too long before this is cleared up.

i have a feeling he will still get until the end of the year/

I'd imagine so, we are six games unbeaten and a win away to Stoke from going top of the form table.

Hodgson's gameplan wasn't to retreat and hang on for dear life. He said himself, that they pressed us well and kept us pinned into our own half.

I'm not defending the performance though. It was brutal. We need three points on Saturday.

Admit I didn't read the entire thread, but am I the only one who think Skrtel was a major liability today? Like he normally is if you ask me. He can not head the ball, he can not control it and he can not (like half our team) pass it. If Kyrgiakos is not back for Stoke we could be hammered. They could put 4 or 5 past us no problem. Go ahead and laugh at my stupid prediction, I only hope he'll play and we'll never know.

I'd imagine so, we are six games unbeaten and a win away to Stoke from going top of the form table.

Hodgson's gameplan wasn't to retreat and hang on for dear life. He said himself, that they pressed us well and kept us pinned into our own half.

I'm not defending the performance though. It was brutal. We need three points on Saturday.

I would believe that wasnt the gameplan if he hasnt played that way before.

The only table that is relevant is the actual table. Everything else is as relevant as Rafa's possesion stats and Houlliers shots stats.

Admit I didn't read the entire thread, but am I the only one who think Skrtel was a major liability today? Like he normally is if you ask me. He can not head the ball, he can not control it and he can not (like half our team) pass it. If Kyrgiakos is not back for Stoke we could be hammered. They could put 4 or 5 past us no problem. Go ahead and laugh at my stupid prediction, I only hope he'll play and we'll never know.

It's vital that Kyrgiakos is fit for Saturday.

Not going to take away anything from Wigan they definently pressured us and played well.

I remember at one point in the game we had a free in our own half and everybody started moving back until Gerrard started gesturing for everyone to push on. Either they are being instructed to sit very deep or they are all incredibly scared to get forward.

Out of these two games; away to Wigan and then Stoke, if i'd have been pressed for an answer as to which was the more winnable, i'd have said Wigan. What we've done now is increase the pressure on ourselves to win at the Brittania and that is definitely not easy. Stoke will look to bombard us, so we neex the Greek back. I'm trying to stay positive about the result tonight and see it as a point gained in our revival.

Out of these two games; away to Wigan and then Stoke, if i'd have been pressed for an answer as to which was the more winnable, i'd have said Wigan. What we've done now is increase the pressure on ourselves to win at the Brittania and that is definitely not easy. Stoke will look to bombard us, so we neex the Greek back. I'm trying to stay positive about the result tonight and see it as a point gained in our revival.

You're correct mate. As soon as that game finished tonight I thought to myself that Stoke now took on a massive amount of importance. We need to give a good performance after what happened at Wigan tonight. If the performance at Stoke is on a par with tonight then the fear is that we've had an upsurge for a few games and are again reverting to type.

He needs to send them out positive against Stoke and try and get the confidence levels up again. I fear tonights performance could play on their minds Saturday.

Over to Roy now. He has to give them positivity and let them play football Saturday. The team sheet is going to say a lot before a balls even been kicked.

Why ignore your more experienced players and bring on youngsters? Especially in the engine room, not being funny but have yet to see Shelvey rip up trees and I don't think hes ready yet like the likes of Gerrard and Owen was although to be fair Roy seemingly doesn't know how to handle youngsters. Or old people. Oh and stop playing Ecclestone on the wing you total spastic, he's a finisher in and around the box so if your going to give him a chance, grow a pair and play him with Torres. Stop putting CM's on the wing and anything other than a winger in general.

Why ignore your more experienced players and bring on youngsters? Especially in the engine room, not being funny but have yet to see Shelvey rip up trees and I don't think hes ready yet like the likes of Gerrard and Owen was although to be fair Roy seemingly doesn't know how to handle youngsters. Or old people. Oh and stop playing Ecclestone on the wing you total spastic, he's a finisher in and around the box so if your going to give him a chance, grow a pair and play him with Torres. Stop putting CM's on the wing and anything other than a winger in general.

Shelvey was a criminal mistake. Its obvious he thinks playing in midfield consists entirely of playing through balls into space. He has no idea how to defend and no idea how to play in a support role. He cost us a lot of unnecessary pressure.

BTW we're playing all these CMs for the same reason Benitez switched to 4411 last season. Our defence needs baby sitting because its not good enough. There isn't a single player in our back four you would back to consistently win a 1:1 hence you need 2:1s and that means cover. So the choice is holding wingers or holding midfielders. Hodgson would rather play with Gerrard in the middle and holding wingers for that cover. Hopefully he'll wise up.

Picture the scene at half time...

Roy's sitting there thinking... 'I brought on Gerrard last week for the second half against Napoli and he ripped up the place. Now if I bring this kid on, and everybody will be delighted to see him getting game time, that's what they want, see? The kids, and they say I can't handle them. And when he scores and wins us the game, I'll be hailed as a genius. My knighthood will be as good as in the post'

Regardless of the subs the problem was when we were pressing we battered Wigan, then we scored early and didn't press again till the last 5 minutes where we battered Wigan.

Press or hold the ball better, they're your options and we did neither and the most worrying thing was it looked like Roy was encouraging that shite.

BTW we're playing all these CMs for the same reason Benitez switched to 4411 last season. Our defence needs baby sitting because its not good enough. There isn't a single player in our back four you would back to consistently win a 1:1 hence you need 2:1s and that means cover. So the choice is holding wingers or holding midfielders. Hodgson would rather play with Gerrard in the middle and holding wingers for that cover. Hopefully he'll wise up.

That is utter dogshit.

In my opinion.

As we know from our recent record at Wigan, that ain't easy either.

First half started well, had some chances after the goal, the second half was very disappointing, but they make it hard for everyone. We should still have won the game through SG's shot, but a point will have to do. It's more than what we got there last season, and it's 6 games unbeaten before going to face the Premiership's rugby team on Saturday.

The doommongers will give the impression we lost 0-5 instead of getting a point though.