You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed.

Rafa Benitez has confirmed Steven Gerrard will be available for Tuesday's Champions League encounter with Lyon at Anfield - but Fernando Torres will not figure against the French side.

The duo sat out Saturday's Barclays Premier League defeat to Sunderland after failing to recover from knocks sustained while on international duty.

However, Gerrard trained with his teammates at Melwood this morning and will be included in the squad for the clash with Les Gones.

The boss told a pre-match press conference at Anfield: "Steven is fit. He has been training so hopefully he will be available tomorrow.

"It is important as we have had some problems with injuries since the start of the season, so having Gerrard fit is a big boost for us."

Meanwhile, though Torres will sit out the fixture with Lyon, the boss is hopeful he'll be able to call on the services of the Reds' No.9 for Sunday's meeting with Manchester United.

Benitez added: "Torres is still not ready. Hopefully he will be for the weekend, but not for this game."

Holy shit why does everyone want to play 1 up front when Torres is out IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerrard in midfield with Masch please

2 that's right 2 up front please

Play Voronin up front at least he's a striker and he's definitely fresh.

---------------Pepe----------------

Johnson--Carra--Agger--Insua/Fabio

Yossi----Gerrard--Mascherano--Riera

---------Voronin---Kuyt-------

Yossi and Kuyt could swap spots maybe but I want 2 proper strikers and I don't know how Yossi would do as an advanced striker. They could even interchange during the game, if Kuyt comes out wide Yossi comes inside and does his thing.

442 for me

--------------Reina--------------

Johnson----Carra--Agger----Insua

Benayoun--Gerrard--Masch--Riera

---------Kuyt----N'Gog----------

I think ten of those will start but Lucas will play with N'Gog dropping out.

good news

--

Lyon travel to Liverpool without three central defenders

/ Injury news

19/10/2009

French giants Lyon will travel to Liverpool today for their Champions League clash tomorrow night, without three central defenders.

Lyon will arrive in England with the same squad that lost 2-0 to Sochaux on Saturday, missing Mathieu Bodmer, Jean-Alain Boumsong and Cleber Anderson.

As a result, French international defensive midfielder Jeremy Toulalan is expected to line-up alongside Cris in the centre of the Lyon defence.

Lyon are currently joint top of Ligue 1 on 20 points from nine games, they have won both their Champions League group games so far.

Lyon travel to Liverpool without three central defenders

Edited by Redzawi

Personally, I think N'Gog has to start tomorrow. He needs to be in the side more often. Against Leeds (and yes, I am taking the opposition into account) he was strong and a willing runner. His finish shows he has an eye for goal as well. Rafa has been fairly outspoken about how good he is, so it's time he put the lad out there to prove it.

Babel can fuck right off.

I'd have:

Reina

Johnson

Carragher

Skrtel

Aurelio (although he HAS to improve on Saturday's performance, he was the worst player on the pitch)

Kuyt

Lucas

Mascherano

Yossi

Gerrard

Ngog

I think we'll win this one, although knowing us, it won't be cut and dry. Massive week goes without saying really.

Can't we get some other club to play them?

We could get you to welcome them to their dressing room and you could put them at ease with some jokes. So at ease they'll be asleep and miss kick off.

EDIT : Oh, and in the absence of Torres either put Dirk up top or N'gog ahead of Twitter.

I think we've got to be bold. Gerrard should play alongside Masch. Dirk & Yossi are certs. For me its 2 from Voronin, Ngog, Babel and Riera. I'd persoanlly go for Voronin & Ngog, not sure why just a hunch.

Yeah I can see your point; I went for both Lucas and Mascherano in the centre just to give us defensive stability given our recent form and run of results. But by playing Gerrard back there and going two up top like you suggest sends out a message to Lyon that we mean business.

The only trouble I have with that is that our backup strikers are poor. I'd definitely go with Ngog like I suggested earlier, but I'd pick myself to play up top ahead of that shithouse Voronin.

I'd perhaps plump for Babel to partner Ngog in those circumstances.