You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe there's even a debate on this thread to be quite honest, Downing is so average he should be painted grey. He's neither here nor there, not up nor down, but trapped in some netherworld of mediocrity. In fact if Neo had needed to track down the most average programme in the Matrix, the oracle would have led him to a five a side football pitch and introduced him to Downing, he would be doing keep-ups while bent spoons span magically around his head.

I can't believe there's even a debate on this thread to be quite honest, Downing is so average he should be painted grey. He's neither here nor there, not up nor down, but trapped in some netherworld of mediocrity. In fact if Neo had needed to track down the most average programme in the Matrix, the oracle would have led him to a five a side football pitch and introduced him to Downing, he would be doing keep-ups while bent spoons span magically around his head.

Downing took the grey pill.

Boro need a keeper, if we got Downing for Carson and 4/5m it would be good deal! Whatever people think Downing is something we dont have and need, a winger who can go past players and give a cross decent and score goals, would be a good signing!

Downing puts in some excellent crosses.

Would be a decent signing, provided Boro don't do a Villa and ask for crazy money. Very sensible post :whistle:

Rash, wind your fucking neck in a bit.

I get sick of opinions on here being formulated on the back of the managers opinion. If Everton were linked with Downing we would be laughing our tits off - he is the same calibre as say an Andy Johnson and Darren Bent - ie not good enough for us. It's astonishing how players are great when they are either already here and injured or they are linked to us.

During the past 2 months I have seen favourable posts on Barry (being better than Xabi), Downing and Milner.

Where were these Barry/Downing/Milner fans in January Ian?

Lennon could be a world beater and Downing is a journey man?

Rash you are bonkers.

Lennon will nver be a world beater. Just doesnt have the talent. Did he say Downing was a journeyman? Even though hes young and only ever been at one club?

Boro need a keeper, if we got Downing for Carson and 4/5m it would be good deal! Whatever people think Downing is something we dont have and need, a winger who can go past players and give a cross decent and score goals, would be a good signing!

I think Stewart Downing would be a very good signing, but he alone wouldn't improve our chances of challenging for the title next season. We still need to sign an impact player who can score 12-15+ league goals a season & influence games in the same way that Gerrard and Torres do. Middlesbrough have Adam Johnson coming through the ranks and if they are after Scott Carson then it could be possible to strike a favourable deal that allow us to spend any additional monies that we have on a top quality player.

No, you would rash. Yet unbelievably you think Lennon could be a world beater.

I didn't say Lennon is a world beater, I think he has the potential to be a world beater, well at least top class. The likes of Downing don't.

I know what you're saying but you've been saying it for ages now, so people know what your view is. I agree that there are people who change their opinions like the wind, based on what particular people do but that's just the way it is. All you can do is point it out and then move on.

Stop dwelling on it.

I know what you're saying but you've been saying it for ages now, so people know what your view is. I agree that there are people who change their opinions like the wind, based on what particular people do but that's just the way it is. All you can do is point it out and then move on.

Stop dwelling on it.

Opinions can change, e.g. I think Frank Lampard is a far better player than I have given him credit for in the past although still no Gerrard. It's when opinions are formulated on the back of transfer links or what the manager says that does my head in.

Some of the comments on here today e.g. Cardie's "we have no influence on Rafa so let's not talk about it" - have been mind boggling.

He'll be an improvement on Kewell, just by being fit, but he doesn't look like someone who is going to make the difference for a title challenge. Way over-priced as well.

Depends how the deal was structured. If we could throw Scott Carson into the deal and value Carson at £5-6m then I think it would be a decent deal.

A great statement from Boro's Lamb, starts off extremely fanciful before heading into a land of pure fiction.

Stewart's got everything as a player and is playing possibly the best football of his career, both for Middlesbrough and for England, but I don't feel that he is fulfilled his potential yet.