You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some don't rate Downing as a footballer but it's mean to move his thread to the GF.

Agreed so i will make a light remark about this...

If Silva or Quaresma cost £20m he'd get it.

If Downing or Barry cost £15m he'd get it.

Thing is, Parry decides how much they're worth.

He has an abacus. A new abacus.

he didn't get a new abacus, he got around to turning his mobile on, there is a calculator tool on it apparently...

Villa made an approach for Downing.

Football: Venables Advised Southgate Appointment

Southgate duly approved the recent £6m sale of Luke Young to Aston Villa.

"We had a discussion and Gareth was content to let that player go," said Gibson. "Aston Villa contacted me about two players. The first one- (understood to be Stewart Downing) - was absolutely unavailable but then they asked me about Luke."

• 6 months later...

Valencia's new chief executive, Javier Gomez, has admitted that the Mestalla club's financial state is precarious at best.

Reports of an unpaid wage bill of €15 million have rocked the Mestalla side, who now may consider drastic action in terms of their top assets, namely David Villa and David Silva.

"The club is in a very delicate situation," he told Sky Sports.

"The club has to control spending, grow income and sell assets.

"Selling Silva and Villa? Obviously we will consider that type of action. We have to control costs, and the biggest cost in a football club is maintaining a team."

Valencia managed to fight off summer interest in their star players, particularly Villa, who was apparently subject to a late Real Madrid bid of €35m that was immediately rejected.

Silva is under contract until 2014, while 'El Guaje' is tied to the Mestalla until 2013 with a release clause said to be in excess of €150m.

Valencia May Have To Sell Villa, Silva - CEO - Goal.com

Torres doesnt look as good when he plays alongside Villa for Spain. He looks a lot better as a lone striker with someone like gGerrard in the hole behind him.

Im not certain buying Villa would be a good idea if it makes Torres less effective.

I think Villa is the better bet and would allow us to play 442 at home and have reliable cover for Torres/Gerrard. i'm not sure about Silva and the premiership, think he'd get flattened

I would totally agree. Villa every time for me. Then Ribery for the right and thats it.