You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronaldinho who at his better is greater than ANY player on this planet is avaible for a knock-down fee, if we just signed him this summer we would hae strenghted tremendously in my opinion. You must also have problem with your eyesight if you think Silva has been "average" in these Euros, the stupidity of that comment doesn't even need a response. Also you list these players to make Rafa look like some kind of wizz in the transfer market when it isn't really the case. Torres was a fantastic signing i must admit but he was bought after everyone had lost patience with Rafa continued signing of non-goalscoring strikers so he was forced to think big that time. Mascherano again was a good signing but the main reason he was signed was that he was a defensive midfielder, had Mascherano been a creative midifelder extroadinaire stuck in West Ham reserves Rafa wouldn't of touched him with a barge-pole. Again a similar story with Skrtel, Rafas fairly good at spotting an signing defensive players and he is just another example. Babel however like Downing highlights Rafas flaws at selecting attacking players, he is undeniably a big talent, however he was signed for a fair wedge when there where other players more comfortable in playing the attacking midfield role avaible for a similar price. Dossena has just been signed so we dont know whether he will be a success or failure. These examples above help to shatter the myth amongst many that Rafa is some kind of whizz in the transfer market.

He'll want £150 grand a week, you thick, championship manager twat ! :wallbutt:

Ronaldinho who at his better is greater than ANY player on this planet is avaible for a knock-down fee, if we just signed him this summer we would hae strenghted tremendously in my opinion.

I'd agree, Ronnie at his best is better, but there are serious doubts about whether he has the appetite to play at the top. It would be a gamble, and not a cheap one either. Maybe the fee would be knock-down but his wages would not - 200k a week is being spoken about.

You must also have problem with your eyesight if you think Silva has been "average" in these Euros, the stupidity of that comment doesn't even need a response.

It's an opinion, different to yours. Can you just disagree without resorting to insults? If you're here for debate you should realise people are going to disagree. Personally I think Silva has shown quality but hasn't set the tournament on fire. My concerns over signing him, or Arshavin, or Ben Arfa or players such as that, is that you have to factor in the possibility of six of so months before they have adapted. Especially with fans so desperate to mount a title challenge.

Also you list these players to make Rafa look like some kind of wizz in the transfer market when it isn't really the case. Torres was a fantastic signing i must admit but he was bought after everyone had lost patience with Rafa continued signing of non-goalscoring strikers so he was forced to think big that time.

That's simply not true. Torres was bought because that was pretty much the first opportunity Rafa has had to spend that amount of money on one player.

Mascherano again was a good signing but the main reason he was signed was that he was a defensive midfielder, had Mascherano been a creative midifelder extroadinaire stuck in West Ham reserves Rafa wouldn't of touched him with a barge-pole.

I think the main reason Mascherano was signed is that he's an exceptional footballer with a spot on attitude and has improved us a helluva lot.

Again a similar story with Skrtel, Rafas fairly good at spotting an signing defensive players and he is just another example. Babel however like Downing highlights Rafas flaws at selecting attacking players, he is undeniably a big talent, however he was signed for a fair wedge when there where other players more comfortable in playing the attacking midfield role avaible for a similar price.

I'd argue that it's easier to spend that level of money on a defender and get someone very good. With regards to Babel, I think the issue would be the same for Silva in that here is a relatively inexperienced player who will cost a lot of money and may have to spend a decent amount of time adapting. Who could Rafa have signed for 11.5 million who would have been guaranteed to be better?

Dossena has just been signed so we dont know whether he will be a success or failure. These examples above help to shatter the myth amongst many that Rafa is some kind of whizz in the transfer market.

I don't think he is a whiz. Neither is he abject at signing attacking players.

So you're saying Lennon is going to become the wing version of Torres?

*gets neg rep at the ready*

:lol: That's a fucking boss insult!

Not in the same league but Lennon is talented and we could make him into a world beater... the likes of Downing are journeymen.

I don't think he is a whiz. Neither is he abject at signing attacking players.

I think he has signed some fantastic defenders, midfielders and a world class keeper.. he is however abject at signing attacking players on the whole although Torres has done quite a bit to turn that tide.

He'll want £150 grand a week, you thick, championship manager twat ! :wallbutt:

I doubt he wants that much but obviously a player of his quality demands a high wage which is understandible, the price you have to pay for quality sometimes. Did you see how i just did that? respond articulately to your comment with throwing in childish and unnecassary insults, amazing stuff :thumbup:

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb... These examples above help to shatter the myth amongst many that Rafa is some kind of whizz in the transfer market.

I love it when stupid people try to sound intelligent. Terrific stuff.

I disagree Rash, I think Torres, Babel, Crouch, Kuyt (I know a lot don't rate him) Yossi, they've all improved us. Maybe not as much as we all would like. I also think it's unfair to count Morientes as an abject signing, as he should have been so much better.

Babel hasn't adapted yet, but I have faith he'll come good. Crouch may be on his way out but he has contributed a lot. Kuyt has been spoken about too much on this site but I side with those who rate him - we can agree to disagree there. Yossi has scored 11 goals and has done well coming on as a sub - I'd keep him rather than Pennant.

I don't think, Torres aside, the signings have pushed us forward as much as we'd like, but I think those I've mentioned, plus the little wonder that is Luis Garcia, have all improved us.

I think the fact that we have had loads in and loads out in the attacking area over the past 4 years sort of proves that we haven't done as well as we would have liked. Maybe we have signed too many and didn't need to do that. Agree about Luis, he is a leg.

Lennon could be a world beater and Downing is a journey man?

Rash you are bonkers.

Lennon "could" be one if nurtured as he has talent. Downing won't improve much more, he has limited pace and can't beat a man - Lennon can do both. We can agree to disagree here if you like.

Aaron Lennon is better than Downing, Milner, Pennant and such like - and available.

Last season PL stats:

Downing - 3415 minutes: 9 goals, 6 assists

Lennon - 2129 minutes: 2 goals, 6 assists

Milner - 2227 minutes: 2 goals, 2 assists

Pennant - 1128 minutes: 2 goals, 3 assists

On the basis of the facts, I'm prepared to believe Lennon is a better option than Pennant or Milner, but he doesn't pose anywhere near as much of a goal threat as Downing.

waa waa waa . . . Torres was a fantastic signing i must admit but waa waa waa . . . Mascherano again was a good signing but waa waa waa . .

There are no fucking buts when it comes to sighning these players you 'flid.

I was left hanging. Like when Brian stopped preaching in the Life of Brian.

Which was of course my intention, being the new messiah and all that.

This Lennon stuff is stupid, he's not even that quick; I beat him to the ball on that Nike thing. You can't argue with science.

Science: It works, bitches.