You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

He's quite quick. He's not lightening but he's much quicker than Pennant. I don't think he's great but he's better than you give him credit for, you do yourself no favours by trying to portray something or somebody as all bad, when it's not the case, just to try and back your own agenda up.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This obsession with pace annoys the shit out of me. It's really not that important. For the record, I reckon Downing and Pennant are about the same pace-wise, and while I don't think he's a world beater by any means I do think he's the right kind of signing to provide competition with Babel for that position.

This obsession with pace annoys the shit out of me. It's really not that important. For the record, I reckon Downing and Pennant are about the same pace-wise, and while I don't think he's a world beater by any means I do think he's the right kind of signing to provide competition with Babel for that position.

Agreed.

Think he'd be a better option than Babel in a 4-4-2, as he works harder and will offer more width.

As I have said previously our best season, in the league, under Benitez came when we got 82 points and it was the one time Kewell had a good run of games. He wasn't brilliant but he offered the team good width and balance. He only scored three goals during that period, was hardly man of the match but the results over that period were impressive and our team looked to have a good balance.

Downing can do a similar job, only probably scoring more, given he got 9 goals last season in a relatively poor Boro team - plus he'll work a lot harder than Kewell. If Pennant goes, which is looking quite likely, then Downing can be the one player we have who'll offer the team width, this could be important against narrow, stubborn teams happy to defend at Anfield, where we struggled last season eg Birmingham and Wigan.

Shoukld Downing sign, I don't think he'll blow us away. I don't think he'll get in the team ahead of Babel in the 4-2-3-1 formation, which we seem to favour. However he could play that role and he'd also offer a good option in 4-4-2. At Anfield next season should he sign I'd hope we'd play as close to this team as possible:

----------------------Reina------------------------

Arbeloa------Carragher--------Agger-------Dossena

Babel--------Gerrard--------Mascherano----Downing

--------------Keane----------Torres---------------

That team has width, goals, pace, guile, is defensively sound and should be far too much for most teams at Anfield.

He'd be a good option.

Downing is a good player. I think he would provide us with good balance particularly in a 4-4-2, similar to that given to us by Kewell a few seasons back when he played left and Gerrard right.He currently better than Kewell was then and a lot fitter.

He is an intelligent footballer who can offer width and crossing,but can also comes inside and can play a shorter narrower game.

He isn't rapid but is quite a strong runner who last season added more goals to his game.

Capello has stated that Downing is the player who has suprised him most, in that he is a lot better than he thought.

I watched Downing a lot more closely towards the end of last season and he's much quicker than he's given credit for. Wes Brown isn't slow for instance, and during the Mancs game he absolutely skinned him on the outside a good few times.

I don't particuarly rate him or anything but to suggest he's slow is folly.

In answer to your question earlier, Paul, I don't really know. All I do know is that we bid £6M + Pennant which was rejected, but Downing was then told that a higher bid would probably be accepted.

These things change so quickly though that it's hard to keep up.

Middlesbrough have a ready made replacement in Adam Johnson who is knocking on the door of their 1st team, so now may be the right time for them to let Downing go.

I've seen you mention him a few times but I don't think he's all that myself. He's alright, and did well on loan at Watford but playing in the Prem is a big step up from the Championship.

Oh my god, i'm dicussing the merits of Boro's fringe players, quick someone change the subject!

I've seen you mention him a few times but I don't think he's all that myself. He's alright, and did well on loan at Watford but playing in the Prem is a big step up from the Championship.

Oh my god, i'm dicussing the merits of Boro's fringe players, quick someone change the subject!

I haven't seen much of Johnson, but I think Southgate has promised him more of a run in the team which is why they have turned down offers from clubs like Rangers and may be prepared to let Downing go if the price is right.

Rashid, stop being a tart. Old posts don't prove anything because things change quickly in football and people can change their mind about players as well you know...

I used to think Downing was utter gash, but having watched him a bit more closely I now think he's just average. Not good enough for us by a long stretch but to suggest he's slow is folly because he's not. And don't insult my intelligence by mentioning Wes Brown there as if I made that shit up - I saw it with my own eyes. Downing skinned him for pace several times. Does that mean he's naturally quicker than him? Maybe not, but I didn't say that, I just said that he beat him on the outside with pace a few times.

Wind your neck in.

Downing: “It is unsettling when you are younger, definitely. Obviously if there are big clubs interested in you it is flattering and sometimes you are tempted.

“But at the moment I’m focused on doing my best for Middlesbrough.”

“My mates are big Boro fans and they obviously want me to be at Middlesbrough for all my career, and if we become a top team, a Champions League team, then there would be no question about going,”

“But if we don’t eventually make that step, then one day I might have to make that decision. It’s an important couple of years for me.

“It might be good one day to do that, maybe move on and try something different, I think every player likes to try something new in their career and I’m no different.

“There are hardly any players now who stay at just one club throughout their career.

“That might happen one day, and if it does I hope the fans will understand.

“They’re bound to be disappointed if one of the local lads leaves, and if he’s an important player some won’t forgive you at all.

“Personally I think I’ve always given everything, I’ve played through injuries before, I’m always available to play and I don’t think anybody could accuse me of not giving my all for the club.

“But at the minute we’ve got a big season ahead of us and I just want to concentrate on what I can do for Middlesbrough.”

This clubs more around his level.

Sunderland To Swoop For Downing?

Sunderland manager Roy Keane is reported to be considering making a bid for Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing.

Sunderland have enjoyed a busy week in the transfer market having already announced the signings of former Tottenham pair Pascal Chimbonda and Teemu Tainio as well as Cork City’s David Meyler and goalkeeper Nick Colgan and, according to Sky Sports News, Downing could be next.

The England international is rumoured to have become increasingly unsettled at Teeside, and the Black Cats are said to be keen to take advantage.

Although Keane would not comment on the rumours directly, he did suggest that his club are not nearly done in their summer recruitment drive.

"I know the five or six players we're looking to bring in the next week or two would excite me in terms of bringing us to the next level," said the Irishman.

"They will all be genuine Premier League class.

"The higher the quality of the player, the higher the wage packet, so it's a test for the club on that side of it because we have to be able to pay the sort of wages needed to get top Premier League stars."

• 2 weeks later...
"He is English and can play three different positions, but I am talking about someone who can play on the left."

We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

"Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.

"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name."

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Aston Villa | Benitez drops strong Barry hint

I am thinking that Rafa was hinting at someone else and not Barry...

Seems funny to make a comment like that... and Downing can play in 3 positions, I believe he has played Left Back, Left Mid, and Right Mid??

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Aston Villa | Benitez drops strong Barry hint

I am thinking that Rafa was hinting at someone else and not Barry...

Seems funny to make a comment like that... and Downing can play in 3 positions, I believe he has played Left Back, Left Mid, and Right Mid??

Nah, he was talking about Barry mate.

The strange thing about the whole Barry 'deal' and also the links to Downing is the fact that Liverpool were in touch with Downing on a regular basis when the Barry deal was ongoing, and were stating that they would be bidding in due course etc, and now that the Barry deal looks dead, it's all gone quiet and they haven't been in touch.

Nah, he was talking about Barry mate.

The strange thing about the whole Barry 'deal' and also the links to Downing is the fact that Liverpool were in touch with Downing on a regular basis when the Barry deal was ongoing, and were stating that they would be bidding in due course etc, and now that the Barry deal looks dead, it's all gone quiet and they haven't been in touch.

I think that was when Rafa believed he would get £20m plus sales and thought he could sell Alonso for a decent price. I think he wanted Barry, Keane and downing in that order and thought he was getting all three. Now it looks like it'll just be Keane.

I think that was when Rafa believed he would get £20m plus sales and thought he could sell Alonso for a decent price. I think he wanted Barry, Keane and downing in that order and thought he was getting all three. Now it looks like it'll just be Keane.

I'm not so sure.

I reckon we were just keeping our options open.

Rafa still has money to spend.

Rafa still has money to spend.

Hope so but I doubt he'll have anything more than the £8m or so he'll get for voronin and pennant unless the yanks think they have to build fences again (or unless he does manage to sell Xabi).

Hope so but I doubt he'll have anything more than the £8m or so he'll get for voronin and pennant unless the yanks think they have to build fences again (or unless he does manage to sell Xabi).

To be honest, i've lost track of where we are regarding net figures this pre-season.

We've bid £15M for Barry haven't we? If Rafa went out and targeted a young attacking player, I bet he'd get him.

To be honest, i've lost track of where we are regarding net figures this pre-season.

We've bid £15M for Barry haven't we? If Rafa went out and targeted a young attacking player, I bet he'd get him.

If Silva or Quaresma cost £20m he'd get it.

If Downing or Barry cost £15m he'd get it.

Thing is, Parry decides how much they're worth.

He has an abacus. A new abacus.