You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Word around the campfire is that the mancs are interested too, although they would like him to stay at Boro another year and sign him next summer. I don't know why, maybe because Giggs is only going to have one more season there?

Kiss my arse Xabi D.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word around the campfire is that the mancs are interested too, although they would like him to stay at Boro another year and sign him next summer. I don't know why, maybe because Giggs is only going to have one more season there?

Downing was touted as a long-term replacement for Giggs when he first burst onto the scene. Nani will probably be given more starts next season with Giggs starting on the bench or playing more centrally.

Stewart Downing should join a tanning studio, pluck his eye brows & wax his body hair and do a few more step overs & then he might be more appealing to some.

Or maybe become a top notch player and not just a "decent" one.

Downing may be no Barnes, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good acquisition. If Babel can become more consistent & grow in confidence then we could have a player with similar attributes to Barnes who can score goals and add pace and power to our attacking play. Downing would provide width, balance, creativity and more of a goal threat.

Really hate to say it but, seeing that this Milner link just won't go away, I have to concur that it would be a total waste of money. Is there actually ANY point in wasting money - money we don't have and will simply go onto our debts - on someone we KNOW isn't good enough for a team with title ambitions? I felt the same when we signed Pennant (and Bellamy, and indeed when GH tried to sign Lee Bloody Bowyer(!)) - that it was a waste of money. And, to be fair, Pennant's actually been better for us than I thought we would be, even though he is not and never will be a top-drawer player. To top it all, Milner isn't even an improvement on Pennant.

If we buy Milner, we'll be selling him for half that price in 2 seasons. Add the wages in, the big signing-on and departure fees, and you're talking about a large amount of money. And for what? Of course, with any signing from abroad, you never know whether they will settle, regardless of fee, but i do think that anyone who follows the Premiership will know that a player like Milner will not improve us. I cannot see any justification for a move.

I can see what Downing would bring to the team, even though i don't overly rate him because of his inconsistency. But Milner? Just mediocrity.

I'd see it as Rafa thinking he can fill up the squad, whilst generating a bit of cash. Sell Pennant for £7 million, get Milner for £4 million (as an example) neither of them will play that often barring injuries, not much between them, Milner is probably a little bit more suited to the right forward position. Then there's an extra £3 million in the kitty to spend on Downing.

Or some top swanky euro wingerstriker of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Genuine question for fellow forumites this fine morning. Are we allowed to question or criticise the manager? Are we allowed to generally be pissed off? Finally if we are asked the same question twice can we answer with the same response without being accused of being repetitive?

I've woken up this morning to seeing lots of abuse, totally out of line with Paul's recent "respect" agenda and was wondering what bought it on. Talking about partisanship isn't half of it. I think there is a genuine Neanderthal element to this forum and it stinks.

Have some respect for people's opinions because that's all they are opinion - we aren't fighting a war and there are no enemies here, all LFC fans. The manager is not going to lose his job over what a few of us say on the forums so please stop with this rubbish. I have just been browsing historical posts and there are numerous on here commenting on how shit Stewart Downing is and how shit McClaren is for selecting him but today out of the woodwork are many fans of this player - I should name check previous posts really but that causes rows.

So I ask again, are people allowed to give opinions on here without abuse? And are people really that influenced in their own mind to form opinions based on what our manager does?

Seriously have a think because I for one can certainly be friends with people I disagree with. Bullying sucks.

Nice sentiments Rashid.

After watching Silva last night, I'd be pissed off if we settled for someone like Downing. If last season taught us anything, its that buying in top quality makes sense both on the field and financially. Our two main buys are both worth considerably more than what they were purchased for, especially in the case of Torres.

Ask yourself this, could downing put in a display like what Silva did last night. I don't think he could and that should be our benchmark.