You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe

You can spin it any way you want to but while its not officially boycotted its still a bit of a twats trick to join them and he has known this and made his choice and will have known he was going to get a bit of stick.

He was a decent journalist at the Echo and I enjoyed reading his column but cant bring myself to say good luck.

Why though are you making out covering the reds is a shit job and having all those freebies around the world is such a chore?

You ask what he was supposed to do, well he could have waited for a better offer from one of the other nationals and then he could have avoided the shit he is definitley going to get.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it strange that when Tommy Smith wrote an article for the NOTW in 1992 he was pillaried relentlessly for it and was forced to apologise and give his fee to charity, with many calling him a hypocrite for his stance on Souness after his dalliance with the Sun.

Yet in 1998 and again last year when Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard respectively had articles published in that paper nothing is said. At the time they just happened to be Liverpools best players. It smacks of total hypocrisy, if you're of no value to the team we'll slate you, but it's ok if you're an important member of the team your all right to do what you want.

What's disapointed me about Bascombes decision though is his failure to realise the insidious nature of the beast he's working for. They know the NOTW isn't boycotted and are trying to use bascombe as a vehicle of credibility in the Merseyside area to drive sales of the Sunday paper which they hope in turn will drive sales of the daily paper. Bascombe is the most respected Liverpool reporter with deep contacts within LFC, how long will it be before direct quotes from Rafa start appearing in the NOTW and to take it to it's conclusion is anyone here naive enough to believe that in the future direct quotes won't start appearing in the Sun. Bascombe after all will be contracted to News intl and will have no (or very little) editorial control.

That's my fear anyway that it's a backdoor way of regaining some semblence of credibility among LFC fans by using Bascombe. I could be totally wrong as I know very little about how newspapers work and this is just my gut feeling on the matter and others I'm sure can break down my arguments much more eloquently than I've made them.

Just one more thing though I've always considered the NOTW the Sunday Sun. I know that both Gerrard and Owen spoke to the HFSG and the justice campaign and they gave them the all clear, but on a personal level whether the NOTW is boycotted or not do any of you really believe that any of the families would buy the NOTW or see any difference between the two papers? I could be totally wrong and if I'm out of order for that comment I'll apologise, but it's just the way I've felt all along since the disaster really, and I've never thought I was in a minority. But again apologies if this is wrong.

What he said.

Darling Fascist Bullyboy,

give me Chris B's old job, you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman,

Dave U.

PS, Pete Price is a cunt.

If you're going to be that sycophantic, why don't you rush round and stick your tongue right up his bottom?

I had to laugh when BHB asked Hamstrung not to get personal. I think the irony might have been lost on BHB.

In all honesty in my eyes he is some fella who writes the match reports in the local paper.

Couldn't care less where he goes and works and it's none of my business either.

Amazed there are pages and pages of cunt, fucker, wanker etc. etc.

"richmiller1" made this post, which I think is a good summary, almost to the point of being irrefutable. It might do all of the people who got onto their high horse good to read it because some of you have lost focus on why the boycott is there in the first place:

"He might have put it ineloquently but he has a point.

The issue was always kelvin and his paper.

Yes the NOTW might be equally odious in most repects, but the fact the s*n is generally shameful in its approach & content isn't the reason it's boycotted. Like it or not had Hillsborough not occurred most would still buy it.

The boycott has always been about the 'truth'. The editor of the NOTW at the time was rightly not held responsible for kelvin's mistakes, neither was good ol' rupert.

They may be owned by the same person, they may share the same website and have the same complete disregard for honesty.........but where it counts they are not the same. They did not have the same editor and that is the be all & end all. He made the content decision, passed the headline & then refused to apologise. He and the paper that continued to employ him rightly became the focus.

If the NOTW is suddenly completely unacceptable then it seems entirely logcal that this policy either be extended to all tabloid papers (all of which are as bad as each other) or everything Murdoch has his hands in ( eg Sky or the Times or even the Simpsons).

I find it strange that when Tommy Smith wrote an article for the NOTW in 1992 he was pillaried relentlessly for it and was forced to apologise and give his fee to charity, with many calling him a hypocrite for his stance on Souness after his dalliance with the Sun.

Yet in 1998 and again last year when Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard respectively had articles published in that paper nothing is said. At the time they just happened to be Liverpools best players. It smacks of total hypocrisy, if you're of no value to the team we'll slate you, but it's ok if you're an important member of the team your all right to do what you want.

What's disapointed me about Bascombes decision though is his failure to realise the insidious nature of the beast he's working for. They know the NOTW isn't boycotted and are trying to use bascombe as a vehicle of credibility in the Merseyside area to drive sales of the Sunday paper which they hope in turn will drive sales of the daily paper. Bascombe is the most respected Liverpool reporter with deep contacts within LFC, how long will it be before direct quotes from Rafa start appearing in the NOTW and to take it to it's conclusion is anyone here naive enough to believe that in the future direct quotes won't start appearing in the Sun. Bascombe after all will be contracted to News intl and will have no (or very little) editorial control.

That's my fear anyway that it's a backdoor way of regaining some semblence of credibility among LFC fans by using Bascombe. I could be totally wrong as I know very little about how newspapers work and this is just my gut feeling on the matter and others I'm sure can break down my arguments much more eloquently than I've made them.

Just one more thing though I've always considered the NOTW the Sunday Sun. I know that both Gerrard and Owen spoke to the HFSG and the justice campaign and they gave them the all clear, but on a personal level whether the NOTW is boycotted or not do any of you really believe that any of the families would buy the NOTW or see any difference between the two papers? I could be totally wrong and if I'm out of order for that comment I'll apologise, but it's just the way I've felt all along since the disaster really, and I've never thought I was in a minority. But again apologies if this is wrong.

I think you have some good points there. :dunno: Im undecided on this.

Has anyone else noticed how Chris Bascombe's career has been in the ascendancy ever since I gave him a few little pointers? Christ, I virtually got him this new job and all the thanks I received was being called a twat. Without a capital letter.*

*Well in, Chris (if you read this). You've always written about the Reds with honesty and integrity (as far as you were allowed) and it'll be good to have one more genuine Red helping to set the agenda on the nationals.

It's a private issue really and has sod all to do with anyone who isn't a member of Chris Bascombe's family or one of his mates.

Will be sad to see him gone from the Echo as he was a very good writer doing a very difficult job.

Try telling that to the wolves over at your place, rabid the majority of them.

Last year I made good money arranging a Jimi Hendrix and Johnny Cash CD covermount for the Sunday Times.

So instead of giving CB stick come and give Red Nick stick as thats what you like to do anyway.

Leave the poor lad alone, some people have to live and look after there family or would you prefer he turns down the money or even signs on. The same people probably complaining that we havent spent 100m in the transfer window.

Stop sitting in judgement on other people

Last year I made good money arranging a Jimi Hendrix and Johnny Cash CD covermount for the Sunday Times.

So instead of giving CB stick come and give Red Nick stick as thats what you like to do anyway.

Leave the poor lad alone, some people have to live and look after there family or would you prefer he turns down the money or even signs on. The same people probably complaining that we havent spent 100m in the transfer window.

Stop sitting in judgement on other people

Twat!:tease: