You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manu 2 LFC 0

Red Nick

I think the reassuring thing about Benitez is that if he makes a dodgy signing he doesn't persevere with the guy - he acknowledges the error and ships him out. All managers sign players that don't prove to be good buys - my problem with Houlllier was that he couldn't acknowledge he made an error and continued to play them. Benitez doesn't seem to have any problem in holding his hands up and saying thanks son but this isn''t going to work.

Wonder what the reaction will be if thats our dealings done and we dont sign a Rw or Cb.

Of who, our players, board and management or some reactionary knee jerk fans ?

Its more important, at this stage, to be right in who we sign, then to sign someone for the sake of it. Look at the summer of 2002.

If we sign noone again, so long as the squad and management react like they did in the first half of the season, then I see no reason to worry. With Essien and Drogba gone, Chelsea are short on depth, it would only take a couple of injuries to Fwank and Terry and the title race would be open. Ive got us at 80-1, were gonna win the league.........

Oh and to add some realism, I dont think Rafa would have let Whitbread or Josemi go (our two backup CBs) if he wasnt sure of getting someone. You can't control who you sign, but you can who you release.

I think the reassuring thing about Benitez is that if he makes a dodgy signing he doesn't persevere with the guy - he acknowledges the error and ships him out. All managers sign players that don't prove to be good buys - my problem with Houlllier was that he couldn't acknowledge he made an error and continued to play them. Benitez doesn't seem to have any problem in holding his hands up and saying thanks son but this isn''t going to work.

Absolutely. Josemi is a classic example. Nowt worse than a good manager with a blind spot.

Bored out of my tiny

Vidic and Evra are both very good signings but like I said I'll give the board and Parry till the end of the month to prove me wrong

Wooo, you really are sounding like Rash now.......

What Id like to know is, what exactly will you do, once you've given them the month ? Wrtie a strongly worded letter to the board ? Sabotage Parrys car so that the wheels and doors DONT fall off when he drives it ? Put some higly flammable substance into his custard pie substance so he burns himself next time he's at a show ? Come on NIck, whattyagonnado ?

Song, Meijer, Camara, Diomede, Barmby etc. Houllier only got like that towards the end, and then it was probably because his career at the club hinged on the success of the players he signed. The Houllier revisionism never ceases to amaze me. No matter how much you dislike the guy for the way things turned out under him, it's not fair to just re-write history - especially when we're still benefitting from the quality of many of the players he signed.

Song, Meijer, Camara, Diomede, Barmby etc. Houllier only got like that towards the end, and then it was probably because his career at the club hinged on the success of the players he signed. The Houllier revisionism never ceases to amaze me. No matter how much you dislike the guy for the way things turned out under him, it's not fair to just re-write history - especially when we're still benefitting from the quality of many of the players he signed.

I never said I disliked Houllier, nor am I ungrateful for the many good things he did in helping to turn the club around. My point was, and still is, that in the end his failure to admit any failings was part of his downfall. Thats all.

Bored out of my tiny

Vidic and Evra are both very good signings but like I said I'll give the board and Parry till the end of the month to prove me wrong

very good signings? How can you say that?They both look good in crap leagues. I can remember thinking D....f and the new Zidane being cracking signings ' til the pulled on the red shirt and played

very good signings? How can you say that?They both look good in crap leagues. I can remember thinking D....f and the new Zidane being cracking signings ' til the pulled on the red shirt and played

To be honest though United for Heinze and Barca got Ronaldino from that crap league.

I've seen us linked with Sunderland's Dean Whitehead a couple of times. To be honest, don't know about him other than he's a midfielder. Didn't think he was a right winger though. And for over £2mill? Seems a strange one.

Scouser, decent player, hardly the next big thing.

I've seen us linked with Sunderland's Dean Whitehead a couple of times. To be honest, don't know about him other than he's a midfielder. Didn't think he was a right winger though. And for over £2mill? Seems a strange one.

He's more a holding player. A bit of a Barton type, skillfull, scoers goals, creative but able to hold his own.

He's a v good player.

I can't quite bring myself to be that positive, but on the other hand I go along with the general sentiment.

Take the Mancs. They've had a frankly dreadful record in the transfer market ever since I can remember. But until the last three or four years Ferguson got away with it because his successes masked his failures. Recently though:

Veron

Howard

Djemba Djemba

Liam Miller

Alan Smith

Kleberson

Bellion

Saha

Forlan

Blanc

I can't bare to work out how much that little lot cost. And whether or not they are good players, none of them have made a significant contribution to their team. While on the credit side they have only Van Nistelrooy, Rooney and Heinze, while the jury's still out on the overall verdict concerning Ferdinand and Ronaldo.

Hardly a transfer record that should be sending shivers down our spine. So when they buy two players, the chances are that they may have wasted quite some money.

Rafa, on the other hand, has yet to make an expensive mistake. Josemi was a mistake, but cost only £2m and we got out of jail swapping him for Kromkamp, Pellegrino was gratis and Nunez came with the £8m for Owen. Moreover, he's shipped them out pretty quick once we could do without them. So I'm not really sure why there is any angst.

Oh, and it's not 2-0 either.

We have Kromkamp and Anderson. And maybe Martin has signed by now too.

I don't think the jury's out on Ferdinand and Ronaldo. They are both everpresents and integral parts of that team.

Man U signing Evra means they have increased their chances of beating us to 2nd. He is a quality player and will go straight into their team.

I'm more uncertain about his value to the team in the long run, as Henize has done very well indeed since he came to England.

Rash, be honest - you really wish you were Scouse, don't you? You're obsessed.

We are God's (Allah's, very PC. Did you see what I did there? ;)) chosen people.

Remember there are two types of people in this world - Scousers and those who wish they were ;)