You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gakpo: I am still learning and developing my game   

TLW

1 hour ago, Clem H Fandango said:

@gakpo you pass the ball with the inside of the foot. lesson #1

First team in Holland,and an international player. What the fuck do you need to learn? There are people who have flown fighter planes by 23 ffs.

He’s a Holland international so there must be a different reason why he looks like he can’t do the basics right. I’m going to go out in a limb and say it’s the same reasons why other hugely talented footballers can’t do simple things right just now. Confidence in crisis. 

On 11/02/2023 at 10:39, El Rojo said:

I’d take him having as big an influence as Bruno Cheyrou did right now, which isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of his start with us.

Didn’t Cheyrou have one month where he was brilliant? Scored in three or four games and then dropped off again.

You are forgetting the catastrophic six months beforehand and 12 months afterwards. Otherwise named 'his Liverpool career.'

He's not slow, he just doesn't look quick.

Have a look at him and Salah in the build up to the goal tonight, Salah is making two or three movements for every one of Gakpo who's striding up the pitch.

Salah looks like he's playing at 60fps while Gakpo is at 30fps but he's keeping pace with Salah and starts slowing down before him.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

He's not slow, he just doesn't look quick.

Have a look at him and Salah in the build up to the goal tonight, Salah is making three or four movements for every one of Gakpo who's striding up the pitch. Salah looks like he's playing at 60fps while Gakpo is at 30fps but he's keeping pace with Salah and starts slowing down before him.

Well one being near 6'4 and the other 5'8 will do that

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Well one being near 6'4 and the other 5'8 will do that

Well that's my point, in light of people saying he was slow a while back.

He's a strider, it's his acceleration rather than his pace as he moves through the gears rather than being rapid off the line.

• 1 year later...

Can't find a better thread than this one.

I've got to say he frustrates the fucking shit out of me. I want to get on the pitch and shake him some times. He seems afraid of his own shadow. And then there's other days where he looks such a clever and talented player. Today was a day where I wanted to shake him though and he has a few too many of them. 

I'm not convinced he'll ever be quite good enough; of our five established forwards I'd say he's certainly the least likely, and with the emergence of Danns, there's a question to be asked about whether he is surplus to requirements.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

I'm not convinced he'll ever be quite good enough; of our five established forwards I'd say he's certainly the least likely, and with the emergence of Danns, there's a question to be asked about whether he is surplus to requirements.

I think his confidence has gone. He probably would benefit from going out on loan to a smaller club,  get a few goals to get his mojo back. 

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

Danns has played about an hour of senior football. That's not an emergence.

17 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I think his confidence has gone. He probably would benefit from going out on loan to a smaller club,  get a few goals to get his mojo back. 

He scored in consecutive games just before the League Cup final which was last Sunday. So I dont think he is on a goal drought crisis at all.

I just think he looks a little fatigued now, which is leading to him snatching at shots and making poor decisions.  However,  even at his sharpest, he isn't a naturally aggressive forward who can impose himself on the game. He is often anonymous which is a waste of a solid 6'3 frame which he should be using to bully opponents.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

He scored in consecutive games just before the League Cup final which was last Sunday. So I dont think he is on a goal drought crisis at all.

I just think he looks a little fatigued now, which is leading to him snatching at shots and making poor decisions.  However,  even at his sharpest, he isn't a naturally aggressive forward who can impose himself on the game. He is often anonymous which is a waste of a solid 6'3 frame which he should be using to bully opponents.

His best usage of his strength is when he gets the ball in our half and drives at the opposition - he’s always very difficult to stop. Still doesn’t happen enough though, we probably saw more of it last season.

As you say, looks fatigued at the moment but his stats are right up there.

Diaz can be equally frustrating for different reasons.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Can't find a better thread than this one.

I've got to say he frustrates the fucking shit out of me. I want to get on the pitch and shake him some times. He seems afraid of his own shadow. And then there's other days where he looks such a clever and talented player. Today was a day where I wanted to shake him though and he has a few too many of them. 

He was awful yesterday.

I have a suspicion he plays well in big games where you need a calming influence and badly in matches against lesser teams where we need to dig in and fight. I don't have any real evidence to back this up however.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

He was awful yesterday.

I have a suspicion he plays well in big games where you need a calming influence and badly in matches against lesser teams where we need to dig in and fight. I don't have any real evidence to back this up however.

I dunno what it is with him, but he really frustrates the shit out of me. More than any player in the squad. I think it's because I think he's got such a high level talent wise, but he just doesn't seem to want to push himself to his limits. We're that type of team and it's that type of league.