You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gakpo: I am still learning and developing my game   

TLW

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What a load of rubbish. I'm so glad we have a manager and staff who know exactly what is needed to win football matches.

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

What bit have I said was rubbish. Dont be hiding behind the manager knows best shite. Let’s hear your opinion about him. I mean, this is a forum for discussion after all.

34 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He is a top class professional footballer in a top class team. If he was so bad he wouldn't be within a million miles of this stellar football team and it's world class manager. It's a bit embarrassing when people on here criticise the lads as they are at a level only a few percent of the population even dream of reaching. And yes our manager does know best,thankfully.

13 minutes ago, Red74 said:

So you couldn’t then

Tbf Vlad you haven't really offered any kind of expert insight into why you think what he said is a load of rubbish 

All you've said is the manager thinks he's good enough and we are doing well. Of course Klopp is going to play him, he bought him, and in the last 8 years we've seen Klopp stand by everyone of his signings. Even with Kieta and most if us thought he was shit but he constantly got minutes.

I think Red74 is right, Gakpo does struggle with his back to goal. It's an expert position to play and requires a certain skill set. I know I always struggled playing that position when I played too. It's hard when you've played your whole life facing the play.

But I do think Gakpo is a good player, he has played a huge amount of minutes these last 3 games and he look burnt on Saturday. He's also out of form + playing a position that isn't natural for him.

Let's not forget he has no pace on his right (Elliot) and Diaz on his left  (who nobody knows what he's really going to do with the ball) so linking up isn't easy right now.  Plus all our problems in midfield recently. It's unfair to be overly critical of anybody at the moment, we are never going to be fluid and open up teams easily. We just need to grind out results and win battles, Gakpo has been a part of that.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Tbf Vlad you haven't really offered any kind of expert insight into why you think what he said is a load of rubbish 

All you've said is the manager thinks he's good enough and we are doing well. Of course Klopp is going to play him, he bought him, and in the last 8 years we've seen Klopp stand by everyone of his signings. Even with Kieta and most if us thought he was shit but he constantly got minutes.

I think Red74 is right, Gakpo does struggle with his back to goal. It's an expert position to play and requires a certain skill set. I know I always struggled playing that position when I played too. It's hard when you've played your whole life facing the play.

But I do think Gakpo is a good player, he has played a huge amount of minutes these last 3 games and he look burnt on Saturday. He's also out of form + playing a position that isn't natural for him.

Let's not forget he has no pace on his right (Elliot) and Diaz on his left  (who nobody knows what he's really going to do with the ball) so linking up isn't easy right now.  Plus all our problems in midfield recently. It's unfair to be overly critical of anybody at the moment, we are never going to be fluid and open up teams easily. We just need to grind out results and win battles, Gakpo has been a part of that.

The evidence is that he's a top level footballer at both club and international level and I'm not going to criticise somebody with more talent in his toenail than most of us on here have ever had. Scored goals in the World Cup,in Europe and in a 7-0 rout of Man U at Anfield. I wish I was that crap at any stage in my life.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The evidence is that he's a top level footballer at both club and international level and I'm not going to criticise somebody with more talent in his toenail than most of us on here have ever had. Scored goals in the World Cup,in Europe and in a 7-0 rout of Man U at Anfield. I wish I was that crap at any stage in my life.

We're not discussing pub league Football, surely our points are all relative.

Gakpo would score 300 goals in my five a side game but that's not relevant. What is relevant is that he played for Liverpool on Saturday and was pretty awful so that's what people are going to talk about.

Just as an aside, I'm a fan of his but it's ok for people to be objective about him. You can't just shut the conversation down because he's scored at a World Cup or because Klopp picked him to play.

Together with Nunez, Gakpo is the player with most games this season, both on 41.

He’s scored 13 goals and got 4 assists, all this while playing almost every position in midfield and attack.

He’s doing just fine. 

IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

• Upvote 1

He can often look like the game is passing him by, but last night was not one of those nights. He was up for it from the beginning, made loads of late near post darts to lose his marker (his first goal being a case in point), and looked gutted at the end not to get his hat-trick. More of that from him please.

1 minute ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'd definitely sell him in the summer

He's a striker that doesn't score goals. So what's the point in keeping him

13 as the player being moved around and rotated the most isn't it?

That moment where he didn't pass to Nunez did my head in but I don't want him sold or whatever. Diaz frustrated me against City but I still think he's fine. Gakpo, Nunez and Diaz need time I think, even if this season does go to shit from here on out. If it's still bad with another manager next season fair enough but I still prefer being patient and can still remember the stick Nunez was getting not long back too. Gakpo will never play the same way as Nunez but he can play better and start scoring more too.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He's zero edge to his game unless it's easy.

Not sure that's a thread we want to pull, certainly in terms of goals only Salah and Jota that wouldn't apply too.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Not sure that's a thread we want to pull, certainly in terms of goals only Salah and Jota that wouldn't apply too.

It probably is. At least Darwin and Nunez seem to test a defensive line currently Gakpo just looks lost, he dawdles on the ball too long, often when he has a pass on he turns it instead then gets rid. He's reminding me of Ox where you think now is his chance for the team and he just doesn't take it, It's like there's currently no attributes he offers. Don't get me wrong I dont want rid, how many 5th choice strikers are good but he's frustrating the shit out of me.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He's zero edge to his game unless it's easy.

I guess the definition of easy is what it's all about. He can be quality, but mostly when the other team just lets you have it. As soon as you have to fight to keep it, he doesn't want to know. He can't wait to get rid of the ball and in his panic, generally loses it, stumbles or whatever. He's joined the shithouse club of cheyrou and markovic to me, the 2 biggest cowards I've seen wear a red shirt in almost 50 years. He gets away with it more because this team does the fighting for him and lots of teams are passive against us. As soon as they're not passive, there's no room for passengers anymore. He's a massive passenger in any fight.