You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

4 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

I'm very very late to the party and haven't paid much attention apart from seeing tropes like "Southampton... expensive... feeder club... Liverpool target... stalemate etc etc..."

Is there an actual player involved and what is his name?

Ignorance is bliss.

8 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Isn't this Twitter feed linked to the club in some way  , I'm sure someone on here said it was .

Screenshot_20230806-210017_X.jpg

Seen a few bits the 3rd bid has gone in. 

Another huge week coming up apparently. Same as the last month. 

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If they wanted more than we thought he was worth, then I’m not bothered.

Bit of a daft story / statement when  Szoboszlai cost more. 

I agree with the first part. I feel the same about Lavia - if Klopp and our scouts don't think he's worth 50m, then I'm fine with them offering 41m (or whatever) and then refusing to go above that.

What bothers me is that if Southampton refuse to sell him for what we think he's worth, then you have to move onto the next one, sharpish. I suppose it's hard to complain about it until the end of the window, but if we really do get to deadline day and haven't bought a #6, then we're taking a huge risk on another season outside the top 4, and you can forget about challenging for the league. I'm all for being careful how you spend big fees, but at some point, we do have to field an actual squad of players who are good at football.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I agree with the first part. I feel the same about Lavia - if Klopp and our scouts don't think he's worth 50m, then I'm fine with them offering 41m (or whatever) and then refusing to go above that.

What bothers me is that if Southampton refuse to sell him for what we think he's worth, then you have to move onto the next one, sharpish. I suppose it's hard to complain about it until the end of the window, but if we really do get to deadline day and haven't bought a #6, then we're taking a huge risk on another season outside the top 4, and you can forget about challenging for the league. I'm all for being careful how you spend big fees, but at some point, we do have to field an actual squad of players who are good at football.

I agree.

Didn’t the main Southampton guy at The Athletic say we’d done a lot of ground work with Lavia back in June?

Looking back on Google, it seems we agreed terms with Lavia around mid-July, made our first bid late-July and our second bid early-August. 

I know Fabinho and Hendo’s exit in the middle likely muddied the waters somewhat, it wouldn’t surprise me if Southampton stuck a little extra on top of the original fee after those sales and our added desperation. 

Neil Jones was saying the other day that the list of clubs looking at Lavia is seemingly closing and Southamptons hand isn’t as strong. Chelsea are focused on Caicedo, Partey is staying at Arsenal, the mancs need to offload and City don’t seem interested in making a move. I would agree with that and their desired fee (ie the £50m) isn’t fully realistic anymore and there must be some wiggle room. 

We must be sure there will be a compromise can be reached with Southampton, otherwise we’ve wasted approaching a month. 

I know there will be fume if it falls apart over a “few million”, I’d agree, especially if he’s as good as everyone says he is (or believe he will be) and we think he could be a player for us for the next >10 years.

We’ve seemingly done a lot of the ground work going back months, I can’t think it won’t happen, it’s just very frustrating the time it’s taking. 

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I agree.

Didn’t the main Southampton guy at The Athletic say we’d done a lot of ground work with Lavia back in June?

Looking back on Google, it seems we agreed terms with Lavia around mid-July, made our first bid late-July and our second bid early-August. 

I know Fabinho and Hendo’s exit in the middle likely muddied the waters somewhat, it wouldn’t surprise me if Southampton stuck a little extra on top of the original fee after those sales and our added desperation. 

Neil Jones was saying the other day that the list of clubs looking at Lavia is seemingly closing and Southamptons hand isn’t as strong. Chelsea are focused on Caicedo, Partey is staying at Arsenal, the mancs need to offload and City don’t seem interested in making a move. I would agree with that and their desired fee (ie the £50m) isn’t fully realistic anymore and there must be some wiggle room. 

We must be sure there will be a compromise can be reached with Southampton, otherwise we’ve wasted approaching a month. 

I know there will be fume if it falls apart over a “few million”, I’d agree, especially if he’s as good as everyone says he is (or believe he will be) and we think he could be a player for us for the next >10 years.

We’ve seemingly done a lot of the ground work going back months, I can’t think it won’t happen, it’s just very frustrating the time it’s taking. 

I reckon there's a few possibilities:

1. We're trying to negotiate the price with Southampton, and it's going very slowly

b) We're looking to sign someone else and Lavia is an option, so we're slow playing it until we have decided which to go with

3. We're just generally incompetent because there's no-one left at the club doing transfers, just some retired German fella by his pool in Ibiza

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I reckon there's a few possibilities:

1. We're trying to negotiate the price with Southampton, and it's going very slowly

b) We're looking to sign someone else and Lavia is an option, so we're slow playing it until we have decided which to go with

3. We're just generally incompetent because there's no-one left at the club doing transfers, just some retired German fella by his pool in Ibiza

Option 4, all of the above

• Haha 1

On 06/08/2023 at 04:39, Jurgen Knows said:

The point you are missing here is that you seem to assume that the bolded bit doesn’t exist in the Middle East. I’m sorry if I sound sarcastic but believe me there are more than 400 million people in the Middle East, and they are much more emotionally invested in football and their clubs and rivalries than anywhere else in the world. The Al Nasr/ Al Hilal Riyadh derby is one of the fiercest, and the city rivalry between clubs from Riyadh and Jeddah is intense as well. I have a lot of respect for you an tha, but I really think that you and many on here have very little knowledge of the Middle East. 

Yeah sure.

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Eaton.jpg

“We have reliable reporters working on it.”

”Who?”

”RELIABLE. REPORTERS.”

According to reliable reports in Saudi Arabia Al Ittihad have offered Mo Salah an €180m two year contract.

If they offered us 100m it wouldn't surprise me if we sold either. Maybe even less than that as fsg would be doing little somersaults of joy getting his 350k per week off the wage bill. It wouldn't surprise me if this is why we're seeing these links to that villa kid. Maybe they've just decided to write this season off already and if they're going to clear the decks of big wages, go the whole hog.

If Salah goes, by next summer would there only be Trent and vvd left on those 200k wages? 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If they offered us 100m it wouldn't surprise me if we sold either. Maybe even less than that as fsg would be doing little somersaults of joy getting his 350k per week off the wage bill. It wouldn't surprise me if this is why we're seeing these links to that villa kid. Maybe they've just decided to write this season off already and if they're going to clear the decks of big wages, go the whole hog.

If Salah goes, by next summer would there only be Trent and vvd left on those 200k wages? 

Yes but we need to become more self sustainable and protect the future of the club.