You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-season 2022

JohnnyH

Thought we played well

Saltburn obviously treated it like a competitive game. Thought a couple of times they went a bit ott considering it's a friendly. Played fairly well imho. Nunez looks lively, a bit raw in areas. 

That's Salzburg striker looks a bit good, wouldn't mind seeing him come in to replace Bobby in the long term, not sure the club would want a second big man though. Keeper looked good also  a couple of really good stops

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Quite bizarre stuff on Twitter (of course) to constantly highlight everything Nunez does wrong in a game, very odd. Imagine being arsed?

Worry not, Section.

The vast, vast majority comes from self-appointed, toe-curling online quilts who’ve barely been to a game in their lives. 

Give it large on the arl net but never in danger of darkening Anfield’s doors. 

He’ll be sound, looking forward to seeing him give it all a go, now. 

• Upvote 3

Here's the thing, the season starts in 10 days. 

Now, midfield-wise, I'm nervous about Jones and Elliott.  I thought we might see a bit of them kicking-on during pre-season but it's Groundhog Day every appearance for these two.  

Forwards, I think Firmino looks like he's going to start the season where he left off last season, that is harrowing.  

• Downvote 1

Our build up play last night was good. But our finishing, WTF? And at times our defending wasnt much better. Id have thought if Jurgen wants Mo and Darwin to develop a striking understanding, it would make sense to play them together during games? I just dont get that of one playing while the other sits on the bench.

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Thought we played well

Saltburn obviously treated it like a competitive game. Thought a couple of times they went a bit ott considering it's a friendly. Played fairly well imho. Nunez looks lively, a bit raw in areas. 

That's Salzburg striker looks a bit good, wouldn't mind seeing him come in to replace Bobby in the long term, not sure the club would want a second big man though. Keeper looked good also  a couple of really good stops

The thing is he plays more like a smaller forward. Quite good technically, much better than Haaland or Nunez, though doesn't look as quick or dynamic in the box. He'd play a different role than Nunez, while potentially being able to do similar things. Worth a look in a year or two if he develops.

I think Carvalho and Elliott will need to be reigned in a little. A lot of running into blind alleys and excesses of confidence. Neither of them can run past anybody and they shouldn't be trying to. Bajcetic, though, looks shockingly good at that position for his age. 

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Carvalho and Elliott will need to be reigned in a little. A lot of running into blind alleys and excesses of confidence. Neither of them can run past anybody and they shouldn't be trying to. Bajcetic, though, looks shockingly good at that position for his age. 

'Reigned?' Tut,tut!

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Our build up play last night was good. But our finishing, WTF? And at times our defending wasnt much better. Id have thought if Jurgen wants Mo and Darwin to develop a striking understanding, it would make sense to play them together during games? I just dont get that of one playing while the other sits on the bench.

And not playing him with the players who can deliver the balls he needs so the team can develop the understanding with him.

How many minutes has he played with Robertson, Trent, Henderson, Salah and Diaz this summer so far, 15 minutes against Leipzig, maybe a few minutes in the earlier games?

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

Only seen glimpses of the game but I'll tell you this, you won't win anything by losing.

What the players need to consider is if they're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball,  put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it matters who Nunez starts in the team with during pre-season.  It's unlikely he'll be starting any serious competitive matches for us in the near future, and pre season is all about fitness.

They'll get plenty of time in training together before he becomes a regular for us.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

And not playing him with the players who can deliver the balls he needs so the team can develop the understanding with him.

How many minutes has he played with Robertson, Trent, Henderson, Salah and Diaz this summer so far, 15 minutes against Leipzig, maybe a few minutes in the earlier games?

It does seem a bit odd.

Maybe they are working on that hard in the vast majority of training sessions and in matches he wants to look at other combinations.

For instance, from memory, he very often doesn't play a lot of his better players together until really late in pre-season. Maybe he wants to look at Carvalho in the left of the 3 alongside Nunez. Elliott on the right of the front 3. Bajcetic in the holding role.

Also, maybe a lot of it is governed by recommendations from Schlumberger and this new data group and Nunez fits in a group that have different fitness levels.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I don't think it matters who Nunez starts in the team with during pre-season.  It's unlikely he'll be starting any serious competitive matches for us in the near future, and pre season is all about fitness.

They'll get plenty of time in training together before he becomes a regular for us.

The Twitter virgins (& a few on here) will be up in arms if Klopp doesn't start the season with our marquee summer signing in the front three.

I think he'll start at Fulham, if not on Saturday. Not due to the Twitter twats but because Klopp spent a fortune and has had a good few weeks to work with him.

Firming probably starts and I'm fine with that.

Whether he needed to start the majority of games in pre-season with the 'first team' given he already has tactical familiarity with our system over Nunez, especially early on, is another matter.

Hopefully Firmino stays injury free up to the World Cup and it gives Nunez more time to adapt, would have been nice to see him get some first team minutes to help that though both for him and the players around him.

41 minutes ago, Mook said:

The Twitter virgins (& a few on here) will be up in arms if Klopp doesn't start the season with our marquee summer signing in the front three.

I think he'll start at Fulham, if not on Saturday. Not due to the Twitter twats but because Klopp spent a fortune and has had a good few weeks to work with him.

I honestly don't think he will, Mook.

Somebody said earlier that his movement was good.  It's always funny when someone who sees the same thing and thinks the exact opposite, but that's what I saw.

For me his movement was odd - running strange angles.  I think he will need more time with the team to work on connecting and timing runs right.

I hate people's rush to judge one way or the other, and I certainly ain't doing that.

It's natural that a player who has stepped up into what is probably the best and most finely-tuned football squad in the world is going to take a while to adjust.

Forget the money, just give the lad time.

47 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I'd hoped Darwin would have fitted in better than he has. Not sure I can take 90 minutes of Bobby passing the ball to opposing defenders every week.

After 2.5 hours football, if that??? 

47 minutes ago, razor said:

I honestly don't think he will, Mook.

Somebody said earlier that his movement was good.  It's always funny when someone who sees the same thing and thinks the exact opposite, but that's what I saw.

For me his movement was odd - running strange angles.  I think he will need more time with the team to work on connecting and timing runs right.

I hate people's rush to judge one way or the other, and I certainly ain't doing that.

It's natural that a player who has stepped up into what is probably the best and most finely-tuned football squad in the world is going to take a while to adjust.

Forget the money, just give the lad time.

It was probably me that said about his intelligent movement. I am quite optimistic about him purely based on the number of chances he has had. 

At this stage I worry much more about players where the game just passes them by. The fact he could have scored 7 or 8 goals so far to me is a good thing.

I am not saying I am right, but you like you say we often see things differently. For instance I don't see what people see in Naby and yet based on what I read about him before he arrived I was really excited. If someone like Newcastle came in for him and we got a replacement in I would be quite pleased.

Again, I may be wrong about him but for me I can barely remember a game where I have thought he was excellent for 70-90 mins.