You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-season 2022

JohnnyH

7 hours ago, aRdja said:

It’s amazing the seemingly large amount of rival fans tune in to watch our pre season games. That comes with being a great team I suppose. 

If they’ve watched our pre-season games, they’re more dedicated than I am. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Fixed

Ha not unreasonable.

It has become ridiculous now how much shite is attached to pre season.....the days when clubs just went about it with no fanfare at all and just played games that at best you may have seen the result of in the echo were much better.

It's become a circus and one that attracts a fucking hell of a lot of clowns.

13 hours ago, Pidge said:

I don't see anything odd about the extra friendly to be honest. I think it makes total sense considering the shortened pre-season. Especially with a few players still learning the system and a few others returning from injury.

Exactly. 

Am presuming a big part of it will be to give outings to Alisson and Jota, but also Gomez, Jones, Elliott, Bajecic, Gordon, Carvalho, Ox, Firmino, all look a bit undercooked. 

I saw a stat saying we are the 6th most clinical team in the league last year with 988 chances 94 goals and conversion rate of 9.5 percent.  I've no idea how they define a chance the numbers seem a bit wild but if its true that's pretty shit finishing for a team alongside City being massively ahead of the pack on points. It's so difficult to pick fault with this team but I swear our shooting drives me up the fucking wall, I think unless we are more clinical this year it wont be cut and dry top 2. 3 finals and no goals, our head to heads with the other sides at the top aren't great. Tiredness and facing top sides explains how difficult it is in finals but we do need to be more ruthless. 

I think not getting a midfielder could be a big mistake, personally I think we need two and the likes of Ox I'd just pay him off stick him on a horse and slap it's arse. Fabinho, thiago  Henderson and Keita essentially in what's going to be a highly conjested season their injury record worries me. I could see a midfield situation similar to what happened to our defence a couple of years ago or maybe it will be a 4231 so its less of a slog. Jones I just don't think cuts it, if he can he needs to show a hell of a lot more than hes shown so far, he's 21 he's young but not young enough it's an instant pass, its been said hes playing within himself and it could be down the managers orders that just seems nuts to me, at first i can understand it teaching him discipline but to negate the strengths of a player so he offers next to nothing for this length of time just doesnt ring true. Harvey I don't know what his position is if I'm honest and he's a kid so is Carvalho. 

I think I'm just anxious, the season has just come around to quickly for my liking, the need to be near perfect has added a stress to the game I've not experienced before which seems mad because teams never used to win the league by big margins so there was always the risk of being caught but there was room for error because the other side would almost certainly drop points. Weve lost two titles by one single point because the opposition can win 20 games on the bounce under pressure. Its relentless. I've not watched any pre season, I dont care for it. Have we improved our side enough to not only keep up with City but go that extra point.

I'd sell kieta in a heart beat I'm just tired of watching him now trying to get excited because he gave a 7 out of 10 performance. I think its going to be a mad season I think it could be one where every one is kind of off the boil so you could either end up with a mad winner or it will at least be closer between more sides.

48 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I saw a stat saying we are the 6th most clinical team in the league last year with 988 chances 94 goals and conversion rate of 9.5 percent.  I've no idea how they define a chance the numbers seem a bit wild but if its true that's pretty shit finishing for a team alongside City being massively ahead of the pack on points. It's so difficult to pick fault with this team but I swear our shooting drives me up the fucking wall, I think unless we are more clinical this year it wont be cut and dry top 2. 3 finals and no goals, our head to heads with the other sides at the top aren't great. Tiredness and facing top sides explains how difficult it is in finals but we do need to be more ruthless. 

I think not getting a midfielder could be a big mistake, personally I think we need two and the likes of Ox I'd just pay him off stick him on a horse and slap it's arse. Fabinho, thiago  Henderson and Keita essentially in what's going to be a highly conjested season their injury record worries me. I could see a midfield situation similar to what happened to our defence a couple of years ago or maybe it will be a 4231 so its less of a slog. Jones I just don't think cuts it, if he can he needs to show a hell of a lot more than hes shown so far, he's 21 he's young but not young enough it's an instant pass, its been said hes playing within himself and it could be down the managers orders that just seems nuts to me, at first i can understand it teaching him discipline but to negate the strengths of a player so he offers next to nothing for this length of time just doesnt ring true. Harvey I don't know what his position is if I'm honest and he's a kid so is Carvalho. 

I think I'm just anxious, the season has just come around to quickly for my liking, the need to be near perfect has added a stress to the game I've not experienced before which seems mad because teams never used to win the league by big margins so there was always the risk of being caught but there was room for error because the other side would almost certainly drop points. Weve lost two titles by one single point because the opposition can win 20 games on the bounce under pressure. Its relentless. I've not watched any pre season, I dont care for it. Have we improved our side enough to not only keep up with City but go that extra point.

I'd sell kieta in a heart beat I'm just tired of watching him now trying to get excited because he gave a 7 out of 10 performance. I think its going to be a mad season I think it could be one where every one is kind of off the boil so you could either end up with a mad winner or it will at least be closer between more sides.

I worry about a lot of the same things. I worry about injuries to Fab and Thiago, and even with them I am concerned we can be a bit as susceptible to pace to through the middle. Naby is a bit like that phrase "definition of insanity- do the same thing over and over again, and expect a different result". Curtis, I expected to rip it up this pre-season to prove a point but hasn't shown much. 

There the negatives. However, Harvey looks lean and hungry, Carvalho looks a real player and have been super impressed with Bajcetic. I don't see them relying on Bajcetic but he looks a top prospect. 

Up top though I feel more optimistic than most. We have bought a player that scored 35 goals last season, albeit in a weaker league, and looks like he will be a real handful. I think that threat of raw pace and the physicality will keep centre halves more occupied and give more space and time for Luis and Mo to play in. Hopefully Luis will now start finding his shooting boots and it will also stop teams pushing up on us.

Ideally we would add a defensive midfielder that allowed us to play the likes of Harvey in the same way City play De Bruyne - with no defensive responsibilities whatsoever - and so allow them to focus playing completely to their strengths. By the looks of it that won't happen this summer but hopefully it will in Jan or next summer.

34 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

Well I wasn’t expecting Brazil 1970, but people paid £25 for this

If I was one of the 1st teams starting tonight id be a bit pissed off, to be honest, they've all had a full pre-season same as the players who are rested tonight, silly day really to have the friendly 1 day after the charity shield, could have played on Tuesday night even Monday.