You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Boss said:

By telling him if he truly cares about the club he'd want what's best for it. I don't think we should go down the route of keeping him on the sidelines for a season personally, but we can't lose Salah and have no money to reinvest. That's fundamental. 

Footballers care what’s best for them and/or what earns them the most money. 

Some times they both align. 

Some times they don’t, but cheap ass cunts trying to bully them into taking a wage half of what they could get else where isn’t ever going to get them to sign up on reduced terms and it’s infantile to suggest it would. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Footballers care what’s best for them and/or what earns them the most money. 

Some times they both align. 

Some times they don’t, but cheap ass cunts trying to bully them into taking a wage half of what they could get else where isn’t ever going to get them to sign up on reduced terms and it’s infantile to suggest it would. 

When did I ever condone FSG's handling of Salah's contract? They are complete asshats. 

9 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

Bailed pending an inquiry which has been extended a few times since his arrest….

I obviously dont know whether or not he’s done anything illegal. Also dont know what kind of person or character he is, but I do know that Klopp are looking very closely at those things when he brings in new players. And I suspect Klopp and the club will know a lot more about it than me as well.

Based solely on what he’s showing on the pitch, I definately think Bissouma could be a good signing for us. But that wont be the only thing we’ll base our decision on.

6 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I could see something like Salah leaving on a free in 2023 but then we sign Saka using the money saved from not renewing Salah's contract. 

I'd rather see him leave in the summer and use the money to buy Bellingham and Saka. Obviously, I don't want him to go, but I can't see these owners paying him what he wants. 

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you sell Salah, you need goals back. What is this about using the money to sign an 18 year old midfielder in Bellingham? That'd be fucking nuts. 

Who would you replace Salah with? Hypothetically of course. 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Hopefully, Burnley will give him a chance and we can see for ourselves.

To be fair he looks real good there. Vieira esque with his long stride. I suppose if you were being picky, you’d question why he didn’t make as big an impact in the Championship.

• Downvote 1

Not renewing his contract is fucking insanity. I get it the owners are tighter than a gnats arsehole but you don't just dwindle down the contract of a player who is so hugely important to this side and currently one of the worlds very best players. If you can't even show ambition keeping what you have, how can you show other players and fans you have any ambition at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you sell Salah, you need goals back. What is this about using the money to sign an 18 year old midfielder in Bellingham? That'd be fucking nuts. 

To be fair, when we sold Coutinho we lost our only creative goal-scoring midfielder, and we put the money towards a CB and goalkeeper. I don't think there's a like-for-like Salah replacement out there, so we'd probably sort another area - try to be more solid - and bring in a young forward too.

Not ideal, but very much something we'd do in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Boss said:

Who would you replace Salah with? Hypothetically of course. 

The best player we can find, or two 40m-50m forwards. You can't replace one of the best players in the world solely with an 18 year old midfielder and expect to keep challenging for trophies. And the nature of Salah having a year left on his deal and Bellingham's value means they'd basically be like for like replacements in terms of the fees. 

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

To be fair, when we sold Coutinho we lost our only creative goal-scoring midfielder, and we put the money towards a CB and goalkeeper. I don't think there's a like-for-like Salah replacement out there, so we'd probably sort another area - try to be more solid - and bring in a young forward too.

Not ideal, but very much something we'd do in my opinion.

That was a bit particular as it turned out we didn't need Coutinho tactically.

Also, the big difference is we could end up signing 2 world class players to strengthen our defense with the money because the Coutinho money was so exorbitant.

Here as I said above, there'd be no money left after buying Bellingham and also, I'm not sure anyone could say what the tangible improvement would be. On paper, the midfield would be better, but there's no certainty an 18 year old is making anything better.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That was a bit particular as it turned out we didn't need Coutinho tactically.

Also, the big difference is we could end up signing 2 world class players to strengthen our defense with the money because the Coutinho money was so exorbitant.

Here as I said above, there'd be no money left after buying Bellingham and also, I'm not sure anyone could say what the tangible improvement would be. On paper, the midfield would be better, but there's no certainty an 18 year old is making anything better.

Fair points. But I think there's a bit of hindsight attached to Coutinho's departure. We became a better side, but we were still selling one of our best players at the time, and most were understandably calling for a direct replacement. We evolved not to need him, rather than excising an ill fitting player. Similar to Wijnaldum's departure, we didn't do the like-for-like switch. Roles changed, as did tactics.

I agree about Bellingham being far from a nailed on proven improvement. If the Salah fee was all we had to spend it'd hard to justify, but I think we'd find the cash to go for a forward too. It's just that potentially elite level young forwards are harder to come by, so it makes more sense getting the best young midfielder you can, and then trying to spread Salah's goals. Salah is as unique to us as Lewandowski was to Dortmund.

Out of interest, who would you look to bring in with the potential Salah fee? Let's assume we can wring £100m out of someone.

46 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair points. But I think there's a bit of hindsight attached to Coutinho's departure. We became a better side, but we were still selling one of our best players at the time, and most were understandably calling for a direct replacement. We evolved not to need him, rather than excising an ill fitting player. Similar to Wijnaldum's departure, we didn't do the like-for-like switch. Roles changed, as did tactics.

I agree about Bellingham being far from a nailed on proven improvement. If the Salah fee was all we had to spend it'd hard to justify, but I think we'd find the cash to go for a forward too. It's just that potentially elite level young forwards are harder to come by, so it makes more sense getting the best young midfielder you can, and then trying to spread Salah's goals. Salah is as unique to us as Lewandowski was to Dortmund.

Out of interest, who would you look to bring in with the potential Salah fee? Let's assume we can wring £100m out of someone.

Well, yeah, it's hindsight, but we saw pretty quickly that we didn't need Coutinho. A lot of it was sad supporters not being happy we had sold our best player again, but the positive change after came pretty quick. Maybe with a tactical shift and a class replacement, the same will be said of Salah, who can say? That's a little hard to believe, though. We're talking about one of the most productive attacking players in the world. If he goes, you very likely have to replace the numbers.

Say we didn't do that and went in a different direction, I'd be interested in knowing what kind of tactical shift you think we could make in the event of a Salah sale that would keep us competitive. I would agree that the area of improvement would be midfield,  I just don’t think you can bet on an 18 year old to transform that area like van Dijk and Alisson did with the defense, following the Coutinho sale.

In my opinion, if you replace Salah, you either have to go with the best attacking replacement you can find, say the Haaland route. I would say that's unlikely. The "get more attacking options route" where we buy two around 50m forwards. Say Jonathan David and Nkunku. Attackers of our usual profile where we could replace Salah’s numbers by just having more good attackers, more depth, more rotation, fresh legs, etc... Or the other route where like with Van Dijk, you simply buy the best available player on the market at any position and you strengthen somewhere else, change the shape, etc... Not sure who that would be. Maybe it is a midfielder, but that player is not Bellingham yet, it would have to be a world class player.

58 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The thing is though we brought in Chamberlain the summer before so he filled a space in the squad that coutinho was using - by then coutinho was playing more games in midfield. And then the following summer we wanted fekir right up until we didn't. So yes, we made 2 great signings with the coutinho money, but I don't think our plan was that when we sold him, it just evolved into that. In fact alisson doesn't come in if we complete that fekir deal, as we flipped the money onto him. So it could be argued it was quite lucky. 

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Not renewing his contract is fucking insanity. I get it the owners are tighter than a gnats arsehole but you don't just dwindle down the contract of a player who is so hugely important to this side and currently one of the worlds very best players. If you can't even show ambition keeping what you have, how can you show other players and fans you have any ambition at all.

Yeah, it's mental. I can understand losing your best player because he wants to move to a bigger club. But losing the worlds best player because you refuse to pay his wages. I can't think of any scenario where that's happened before. Would Bayern, Madrid or even the mancs do that? They'd just pay the money because their principle focus is winning; ours is saving money.