You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If a player commits two bookable offences, then the ref is entitled to book him twice. The referee is under no obligation whatsoever to stop play and cancel an advantage simply to inform the player that he's going to be booked for the first offence, nor is he under any obligation to ignore a second bookable offence simply because play was allowed to continue after the first bookable offence.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think the ref got it spot on. Two yellow card offences.

Sick of refs getting praised for "letting the game flow". No, just enforce the rules of the game. Don't let players have a free yellow card challenge, don't keep your cards in your pocket because it's early in the game, don't bottle sending someone off. If the offence warrants it, card them.

Martinelli expected the norms of the game to supercede the written law there, namely that he was already getting a yellow so effectively would get a free hit. His mistake, not the ref's.

Yep. If he thinks they are both yellow cards, yet doesn't want to deny the advantage, why should he then downgrade his own decision, ie punish the team he is trying to rightfully advantage? 

Players gamble with 50/50 shit all the time when on a yellow. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't. As unusual as the incident was, he gave the ref 2 decisions to make with his cynical play. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Boss said:

That was never a red card. The second offence is a yellow and technically he should get away with the first offence because it's in the same phase of play. You can't send a player off for a yellow card offence if he doesn't know he's on a yellow. 

Nope 1st offence is a yellow but the ref plays an advantage. 2 cynical fouls which if viewed seperately merit yellow cards. The decision was spot on.

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Why?

I guess my argument would be Martinelli wouldn't commit the second foul if he knew he was on a yellow. However, Babbs and Stronts are right in what they say. I think I'm wrong here, and I'm just seeing things from the perspective of how games usually get reffed, and not from the perspective of how the game should be reffed. 

• Upvote 1

What is even the rule? If you're a ref and you play an advantage for an offense that you want to book later on, are you allowed to give a yellow for a separate incident to the same player? If the ref is allowed to do that, why is there a discussion? If Oliver couldn't do that, then obviously he doesn't know the rule and should be criticized. Seems pretty black and white to me. 

In all that, where was Arsenal's left back? Whoever it was was VERY slow on the uptake as only Martinelli realised the danger, and he'd already impeded the player taking the throw-in!

I have a feeling Oliver was going to book Martinelli for impeding the thrower but played an advantage as the throw still found its man and Wolves were on the attack, knowing he could book the Arsenal man during the next break in play. As play was 'on', any subsequent infringement that warranted a card would earn a card too. It just so happened to be the same player committing two bookable offences.

Refs often play on and go back to book a player after the passage of play is over which might take as long as a minute or more. Since when has the infringing player had carte balance to do whatever he wants in the meantime (short of a direct red card offence) without sanction? 

Martinelli

Gabriel Martinelli has been dealt a third yellow card by Michael Oliver outside his home following yesterday’s dismissal at Molineux. The Brazilian was sent off for two bookable offences in 5 seconds during Arsenal’s win over Wolves.

Yellow

martinelli-interview-min-150x150.jpeg

“It’s not right,” Martinelli told Soccer on Sunday. “I get home, and this Oliver cunt is waiting outside the gate with another yellow. ‘There’s plenty more where this came from,’ he said. I tried to argue, but he waved me away. Then he gave my girlfriend a straight red. All she did was pop her head out to say hello.”

“He’s been outside the house all night,” said the 20 year-old. “And the yellow is still peaking out of his pocket. The gaffer bought a machete and says he’ll behead the next player who gets a red, so I’m between a rock and a hard place here.”

“He’s just given a yellow to my neighbour,” added Martinelli. “She’s 87 years-old, Vera. That’s a harsh booking.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Did anybody see that disallowed Pogba goal in injury time? I mean, what are these incompetent officials playing at these days?

I honestly believe that the officials must be trying to get players to pull hamstrings when chasing back or get injured in other ways, because these offsides are so clear and yet they just don't flag them.

This Pogba one though, Jesus, that's the worst I can recall. It was soooooooo late that I can only assume that this linesman must be trolling the Man U fans.

Which is perfectly fine by me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Did anybody see that disallowed Pogba goal in injury time? I mean, what are these incompetent officials playing at these days?

I honestly believe that the officials must be trying to get players to pull hamstrings when chasing back or get injured in other ways, because these offsides are so clear and yet they just don't flag them.

This Pogba one though, Jesus, that's the worst I can recall. It was soooooooo late that I can only assume that this linesman must be trolling the Man U fans.

Which is perfectly fine by me.

"If you're just here to emotionally cripple my friend Goldbridge - then that's perfectly okay with me".

Eddie Hitler (@SirEddieHitler) / Twitter

• Upvote 3