You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

15 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Everyone expects they will beat Brentford so i don't think too much doom and gloom, it's when they play a Chelsea, Spurs or Utd and they just swat them aside like a cat playing with a mouse that most people get pissed off.

I expect Brentford will have a go but be too open and get picked off. 3-1 to the cheats.

You weren't far wrong! Agree that the 'bigger' sides have been pathetic against them this season. Arsenal had a go and were very unlucky, but the rest have been awful. With the race for fourth (as grim as it is) now in full flow, hopefully teams will stand up to them more. I'd still have more faith in Burnley, Wolves or Villa taking something off them than Spurs or Man United. 

48 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

You weren't far wrong! Agree that the 'bigger' sides have been pathetic against them this season. Arsenal had a go and were very unlucky, but the rest have been awful. With the race for fourth (as grim as it is) now in full flow, hopefully teams will stand up to them more. I'd still have more faith in Burnley, Wolves or Villa taking something off them than Spurs or Man United. 

Just saw the Sterling penalty and, once again, I wonder how footballers can be so stupid. Anyone who's ever seen Sterling knows he's just waiting for a tackle so he can go to ground. The predictable happens, he gets his body across and, in the modern vernacular 'draws the foul'. All the guy has to do is stay on his feet - Sterling's running at near full pelt - he can't cross for toffee with his left foot, so no danger there. Otherwise he tries to stop and come back on his right - you've still got him pinned against the touchline. But, no, dive in, penalty given, game plan fucked, game over.

8 hours ago, No2 said:

The three lads in the studio were dopes, if it wasn't a promising attack then why he did foul him?

Ferdinand obviously couldn't understand distinction between a clear goalscoring opportunity and a promising attack. Guy was given second yellow related to latter not a red related to former, as Walton clearly explained. But why let that get that get in the way of a pile-in on the ref? 

Savage and Ferdinand revisiting their glory days of referee abuse.

7 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Ferdinand obviously couldn't understand distinction between a clear goalscoring opportunity and a promising attack. Guy was given second yellow related to latter not a red related to former, as Walton clearly explained. But why let that get that get in the way of a pile-in on the ref? 

Savage and Ferdinand revisiting their glory days of referee abuse.

Yeah I watched it as well and I was baffled, they kept going on about him "having to be like Maradona to score from there." It wasn't a straight red FFS so there's no "clear goalscoring opportunity" to discuss here, but he barged a player over who was running into clear space on the right flank with no intent to win the ball, I'd expect a yellow there 9 times out of 10 at least.

You can argue he's unlucky in that he doesn't know he's on a booking when he commits the second offence but it's all so utterly brainless I find it difficult to find any sympathy. Arsenal have a discipline problem though, and it's definitely cultural - their fans are becoming convinced that there's some sort of anti-Arsenal bias because of all the red cards(!), and I reckon an element of that is creeping into the dressing room in a "what can you do when the bastards are against you" kind of sense as Arteta is a paranoid bastard; hard not to be after spending any amount of time playing at the pit.

They're definitely smelling themselves again though, not realising that they're just slightly more consistent than a couple of other really inconsistent teams as they've had more continuity in manager and playing staff. Tallest gnome shit though.

Havent seen this incident with Martinelli but, it seems bizarre a ref suddenly decides two succesive fouls in a very short space of time warrants 2 yellows?! First time Ive ever come across that. I think a bit of martinelli's reputation with recent red cards came to play here.

As Ive said, havent seen the incident but, if all refs are going to do this now, it will be yet another low in the standards of refereeing.

32 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Havent seen this incident with Martinelli but, it seems bizarre a ref suddenly decides two succesive fouls in a very short space of time warrants 2 yellows?! First time Ive ever come across that. I think a bit of martinelli's reputation with recent red cards came to play here.

As Ive said, havent seen the incident but, if all refs are going to do this now, it will be yet another low in the standards of refereeing.

First was raised hands trying to stop a throw, the second he chased the player down and it was a cynical foul.

If he'd have got two yellows two minutes apart nobody could have any complaints so not sure why they do now beyond some weird 'the first yellow is a warning' comment.

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

First was raised hands trying to stop a throw, the second he chased the player down and it was a cynical foul.

If he'd have got two yellows two minutes apart nobody could have any complaints so not sure why they do now beyond some weird 'the first yellow is a warning' comment.

I agree if he gets 2 yellows for separate incidents like he did against city, there's not such an issue. I find it hard to believe though that in all of football, refs have previously sent players off for 2 fouls in a sequence of play after the ref has played advantage?

In other words, this incident seems a first and made up on the spot plus, taking the player's recent double yellow he's picked up.

Fair enough if PGMOL puts down a marker and say effective now, if you do this you'll get 2 yellows but they havent. Does this happen anywhere else?

To be honest, that 2nd looks a piss poor decision to me.

I think the ref got it spot on. Two yellow card offences.

Sick of refs getting praised for "letting the game flow". No, just enforce the rules of the game. Don't let players have a free yellow card challenge, don't keep your cards in your pocket because it's early in the game, don't bottle sending someone off. If the offence warrants it, card them.

Martinelli expected the norms of the game to supercede the written law there, namely that he was already getting a yellow so effectively would get a free hit. His mistake, not the ref's.

• Upvote 2