You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

I think the uoroar is absolutely hilarious & quite frankly anyone offended by it is a fucking moron.  Political leaders and Peter Shilton a prime example.

BTW they probably don't realise the cross of St George is actually Italian and was then used by the English & French.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

I think the uoroar is absolutely hilarious & quite frankly anyone offended by it is a fucking moron.  Political leaders and Peter Shilton a prime example.

BTW they probably don't realise the cross of St George is actually Italian and was then used by the English & French.

St. George? The Turkish feller? That one?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

there’s no need at all to turn the collar up other than to appeal to those gammon cunts.

Yes there is.  If he feels more comfortable playing with a collar up (and I could only find one picture of him in a collared shirt where it wasn't turned up) then of course he should turn it up.

Apparently, it comes from copying Neymar as a kid.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, George Costanza said:

Tell Shilton he could unpick the "offending" cross and embroider a red-on-white one in less time than it took him to come off his line against Argentina in 1986.

48 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yes there is.  If he feels more comfortable playing with a collar up (and I could only find one picture of him in a collared shirt where it wasn't turned up) then of course he should turn it up.

Apparently, it comes from copying Neymar as a kid.

No, and you don’t believe that mate. 

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The fuck are you on about?

He’s not an idiot, he’s been in the media spotlight for years!

He knew exactly what putting that collar up meant and how it would be reported. 

He's a complete dickhead for doing it. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He’s not an idiot, he’s been in the media spotlight for years!

He knew exactly what putting that collar up meant and how it would be reported. 

He's a complete dickhead for doing it. 

OK.

You can read his mind just as well as you can read mine.

17 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

St George was Turkish, the red and white cross associtaed with him comes from Itlay primarily Genoa region (hence why its in their clubs crest)

So, a patron saint from Turkey who never set foot in England, and an import from Europe. Glorious. 

2 hours ago, George Costanza said:

St George was Turkish, the red and white cross associtaed with him comes from Itlay primarily Genoa region (hence why its in their clubs crest)

I thought there was no real proof that was the origins of the flag or why we used it. It was thought that was the case by the Victorians, but there's no actual proof one way or another, beyond the french and the English both wore it during the crusades. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought there was no real proof that was the origins of the flag or why we used it. It was thought that was the case by the Victorians, but there's no actual proof one way or another, beyond the french and the English both wore it during the crusades. 

The cross was used on sails from ships out of Genoa years before the crusades and was taken up by the english and french sailing across on those ships.

Obviously when I talk about Italy for that time i'm referring to the modern day map as no such country existed at that time, it was just an area of regional provinces at the time.

12 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

The cross was used on sails from ships out of Genoa years before the crusades and was taken up by the english and french sailing across on those ships.

Obviously when I talk about Italy for that time i'm referring to the modern day map as no such country existed at that time, it was just an area of regional provinces at the time.

What I mean is nobody really knows if the English and french copied that, it was just something the Victorians surmised and it stuck. And nobody knows if the Genoa was the originator of the flag either.  

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What I mean is nobody really knows if the English and french copied that, it was just something the Victorians surmised and it stuck. And nobody knows if the Genoa was the originator of the flag either.  

i could be wrong but I'm faily sure there's evidence of that flag being used on ships from the port of Genoa from centuries before the crusades. My Italian unification memory might be hazy but i'm sure I've read the red & white flag dates back to 8th/9th century northern itlalian trade ships.

16 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

i could be wrong but I'm faily sure there's evidence of that flag being used on ships from the port of Genoa from centuries before the crusades. My Italian unification memory might be hazy but i'm sure I've read the red & white flag dates back to 8th/9th century northern itlalian trade ships.

I think you're right. But that's still not what I'm saying. There nothing to suggest the English and french copied it. Just because it existed, it doesn't mean it is copied. It's just a red cross on a white background. The only thing that suggests they copied it, was some Victorians thought it likely. Nobody knows where the cross came from or why it was the symbol of the english and french during the crusades. 

Anyway, enough from me on this. I'd just like to say it's all fucking mental the cry arsing about it.