You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The earlier stuff is good, since the 90’s they have been very underwhelming.

Don’t really see them as a ‘band’ in the traditional sense anymore. More so a large money making machine these days.

Don’t get many young musicians looking up to them for their playing abilities, for example.

Keep meaning to watch a documentary my mate told me about called It Might Get Loud, with Jack White, Jimmy Page and, errrrr, The Edge talking about their respective playing/influences, etc.

Sounds quite shamelessly cringeworthy from the latter just to be sat there with them on such a premise.

Neither Jack White or The Edge are great guitarists in the way that Jimmy Page is, however both have very original styles. From that point of view I would say The Edge would have as much right as Jack White to be there.

I saw Bill Bailey play some of The Edge solos in a live comedy performance once. The point he was trying to make was that they are all generally 3 chords.

I hear these kinds of comments from people over the years and they never cease to amaze me. How anyone doesn’t think he is one of the defining and great guitarists of the last 40 years is just weird? Being a great guitarist isn’t about being able to get up and down a fretboard in 3.2 seconds; any simpleton can do that after playing the guitar for a year. It’s the distinctive and original sound you create. “The sonic architecture” as Bruce Springsteen once wankingly, but correctly, put it.

The bass player is average at best, I’ll grant you that. And the drummer is quite formulaic. But the Edge is a creator of amazing, iconic, big stadium music and sound. He deserves his place where professional guitarists have placed him; and that’s right up there with the best.

• Upvote 1

I hear these kinds of comments from people over the years and they never cease to amaze me. How anyone doesn’t think he is one of the defining and great guitarists of the last 40 years is just weird? Being a great guitarist isn’t about being able to get up and down a fretboard in 3.2 seconds; any simpleton can do that after playing the guitar for a year. It’s the distinctive and original sound you create. “The sonic architecture” as Bruce Springsteen once wankingly, but correctly, put it.

The bass player is average at best, I’ll grant you that. And the drummer is quite formulaic. But the Edge is a creator of amazing, iconic, big stadium music and sound. He deserves his place where professional guitarists have placed him; and that’s right up there with the best.

I wasn't just on about The Edge though Johnny, which your post mainly seems to be talking about. I'm on about them as a 'band'

Personally though I think all guitarists are shite.

• Upvote 2

Nah, drummers are shite though la

The edge has a distinctive style but it’s not very interesting musically, also find U2 to be pretty fucking bland in general

Without us Drummers laying down the foundations you attention seeking guitarists won't be able to bore everyone in the audience to tears with your solos, every fuckin' song.

Guitarists are shite.

All I’m saying is there’s a good reason we stick the drummers at the back of the stage in the shadows. Appreciate the grunt work you do but a meal is nothing without the garnish.

I see what you're saying. Plus it gives your egos more room up front.

I'm just messing anyway. Not all guitarists are shite, just most of you are.

• Upvote 1

Don’t get these kind of debates, surely all music is subjective to the listener. I like some songs that others may consider to be absolute muck, but it’s just the memories and emotions they stir in me.

If you like a song or an album it’s because it speaks to you at some level and you connect with the message.

Don’t be a music snob, just enjoy what strikes a chord with you, if U2 floats your boat then sound, if you think they’re shite then don’t listen to em.

• Upvote 1

Don’t get these kind of debates, surely all music is subjective to the listener. I like some songs that others may consider to be absolute muck, but it’s just the memories and emotions they stir in me.

If you like a song or an album it’s because it speaks to you at some level and you connect with the message.

Don’t be a music snob, just enjoy what strikes a chord with you, if U2 floats your boat then sound, if you think they’re shite then don’t listen to em.

https://youtu.be/1kaOGsC1S1s

• Upvote 1

I agree , music is ones personal taste so it doesn't matter ,even shite songs from the past can evoke all kinds of memories and emotions. As for U2 I liked some of their 80s stuff but can't say I ever bought any or had an inclination to see them ,certainly not now, and that probably goes for most bands these days, I prefer to look back and listen to what I grew to like and remember things ,also there's plenty of stuff I've missed that's good to get into.
  • Upvote 1