You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ronnie Moran

ronnie.jpg

"He was never afraid to bark when he needed to but his simplicity in coaching sessions, which many would find difficult to put across, came to him with ease," Dalglish said. The bark, as it is affectionately known, was Moran’s way of keeping players on their toes, something that was an absolute necessity at a club where success was, at the time, coming easily.

Robbie Fowler tells the story of how he was basking in the glow of scoring five goals against Fulham only to see an unimpressed Moran approach him to tell him that he shouldn’t be looking so smug because he should have scored seven. Title winners medals were given to those eligible in a “presentation ceremony” that involved Moran taking them out of a cardboard box and throwing them in the direction of the recipients. Everything was done to gain an edge, to create a competitive spirit that prevented complacency from seeping in. “The next game was always the most important and we had that drummed into us whether we were playing Man United or Bristol City,” Thompson said. “We could beat someone 4-0 and you'd walk in on Monday morning and it'd be like it hadn't happened.

He’d never let you rest on the pitch, whether that was in training at Melwood or during games. “When he was shouting at me, it wasn’t about me, it was about the back four, it was about the team, it was about getting the win that we wanted. He was the same in games between the staff and the apprentices at Melwood. God, he moaned in those games. It could be 18-all, you’ve heard the stories about Shanks, but he was just as bad. Those kids would get a rollocking and he’d moan at them. If they were winning by two or three, he’d be on at them saying ‘You’re not like that on Saturday’ and stuff like that. You could literally feel the intensity and if you couldn’t hack it that’s tough. “He was so clever though. The one time I can remember him giving me praise was during an FA Cup semi-final against Leicester at Villa Park. I had a dead leg which swelled up at half-time and he came over to me and said ‘You’re playing brilliant. This is one of your best games. You’ve got Frank Worthington in your pocket, he’s not getting a kick.’ He was getting into my mind, taking it away from this swelling in my skinny thigh and he was building my ego. After the game he came and sat next to me to tell me how well I’d done. He didn’t often give praise out though.” 

Last night at an event to launch his new book – the aptly titled “Mr Liverpool” – the praise that Moran earns flowed freely with Evans capturing the mood perfectly. “Liverpool would not have been as successful as they were without this man, it is that simple," he said with the authority of someone who is better placed than anyone else to assess the contributions of those who were there during the glory years

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/ronnie-moran-one-liverpool-legend-and-his-battle-with-dementia-115254?utm_content=buffer6b4e3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Upvote 1

Class from Henderson this

jhendersonThe reason being captain of Liverpool Football Club is such a huge honour is because legendary figures like Ronnie Moran held it before I did.

I wasn't lucky enough to work with Ronnie but I had the great fortune of being in his company on the occasions when he came to Melwood to walk around the training pitch and although we all regarded him as a true great, he was as humble and down to earth as anyone you could ever come across.

I know I speak for all of the current players when I say that we are all deeply saddened by Ronnie's passing and the greatest tribute we can pay to him is to give everything we've got for Liverpool Football Club just as he did each and every single day during the 49 years he spent here. YNWA

• Upvote 1

Well said Henderson. He's a modern player, with all that comes with that, and while he's from a different world to Ronnie Moran, he still understands the importance of respect. Fair play.

As for Ronnie Moran, I'm sad to hear the news but it seemed like it was coming. He represented all that was best about the old ways. Obviously very good at what he did, but was also hard working, loyal and modest.

We were lucky to have him, and at the same time he was lucky to have spent so many years working at the club he loved, shaping it, and seeing more success than most in the game would even dream about.

Class from Henderson this

jhendersonThe reason being captain of Liverpool Football Club is such a huge honour is because legendary figures like Ronnie Moran held it before I did.

I wasn't lucky enough to work with Ronnie but I had the great fortune of being in his company on the occasions when he came to Melwood to walk around the training pitch and although we all regarded him as a true great, he was as humble and down to earth as anyone you could ever come across.

I know I speak for all of the current players when I say that we are all deeply saddened by Ronnie's passing and the greatest tribute we can pay to him is to give everything we've got for Liverpool Football Club just as he did each and every single day during the 49 years he spent here. YNWA

Yup. Fair play to him. Good words.