You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Denmark is unreal. Got the population of Wales or something and it's wealthy as fuck, flash cars get hammered for tax but their welfare state takes the piss, they have universal free nursery and childcare I think. Everyone does time in the army so they're all combat trained and they've got loads of bacon.

The only Scandinavian country on the european mainland so not much different to upping sticks and moving to Holland or Germany or Belgium for instance.

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Denmark is unreal. Got the population of Wales or something and it's wealthy as fuck, flash cars get hammered for tax but their welfare state takes the piss, they have universal free nursery and childcare I think. Everyone does time in the army so they're all combat trained and they've got loads of bacon.

Denmark is considered to be one of the most economically and socially developed countries in the world.[15] Danes enjoy a high standard of living and the country ranks highly in some metrics of national performance, including education, health care, protection of civil liberties, democratic governance, LGBT equality, prosperity, and human development.[16][17][18] The country ranks as having the world's highest social mobility,[19] a high level of income equality,[20] the lowest perceived level of corruption in the world, the eleventh-highest HDI in the world, one of the world's highest per capita incomes, and one of the world's highest personal income tax rates.[21]

Always go full Denmark.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You can't become a Danish citizen without shaking hands with the person conducting the ceremony. 

Does the ceremony involve bacon? I'll shake Hans Christian Andersons dick if so.

Not even arsed about the citizenship. Bacon. 

Denmark actually has about 10 billionaires as well. Admittedly half of them own equal shares in Lego. But still, for a country of about 6m people, that provides for all, to still have the ability to become unbelievably rich...

What a fucking ace country. It's laughable when you hear stuff a trillion miles to the right of them described as Social Democracy. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Denmark actually has about 10 billionaires as well. Admittedly half of them own equal shares in Lego. But still, for a country of about 6m people, that provides for all, to still have the ability to become unbelievably rich...

What a fucking ace country. It's laughable when you hear stuff a trillion miles to the right of them described as Social Democracy. 

So Shakespeare was just an envious Brit, as per usual?

One of the Danish billionaires owns half of Scotland and plans to rewild it. The one whose children were killed in the Sri Lanka terrorist attack last year or thereabouts.

It always ranks first or so in the list of world's happiest countries.

Just now, SasaS said:

So Shakespeare was just an envious Brit, as per usual?

One of the Danish billionaires owns half of Scotland and plans to rewild it. The one whose children were killed in the Sri Lanka terrorist attack last year or thereabouts.

It always ranks first or so in the list of world's happiest countries.

Yeah, always seems to be them and Costa Rica. Which is odd in the case of the latter because all of their neighbouring countries look like a version of GTA.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It’s ok but not massively revealing is it? People earning less think that people earning more are on too much. Groundbreaking.

I’m more into correct taxation that removes loopholes. I’ve no interest in what someone earns, you get what you can but percentages on PAYE seem fair and proportionate. It’s making people stick to those. We spend a lot of time focusing on the individuals, to me that’s unfair as long as the above is being met.

We need to stop the big corporations from dodging, that’s a much bigger issue. It’s easy for me to say ‘tell amazon they owe us the corpy tax or fuck them off’ but surely there’s a better option than limiting what individuals can aspire to?

21 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

It’s ok but not massively revealing is it? People earning less think that people earning more are on too much. Groundbreaking.

I’m more into correct taxation that removes loopholes. I’ve no interest in what someone earns, you get what you can but percentages on PAYE seem fair and proportionate. It’s making people stick to those. We spend a lot of time focusing on the individuals, to me that’s unfair as long as the above is being met.

We need to stop the big corporations from dodging, that’s a much bigger issue. It’s easy for me to say ‘tell amazon they owe us the corpy tax or fuck them off’ but surely there’s a better option than limiting what individuals can aspire to?

I thought it was interesting to see what the effect of redistribution would be, more than anything else. 

I don't see limiting income inequality and making taxation fair as an either/or thing: you probably need both to tackle runaway inequality.  I'm not wholly convinced by the proposal to introduce an income tax in absolute terms is the way to go about it (although I could be open to being persuaded). My preference would be for some sort of regulation of the ratio between CEO income and median employee income.

15 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

And, that must be Anders Povlsen you're talking about right? All the other Danish billionaires flog trainers or Lego.

Yes, I first heard of him when the list of biggest landowners in the UK came up but was more intrigued by the rewilding thing.

Is Costa Rica the one without an army?