You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mike Gordon of the transfer committee

dennis tooth

We could have Bob Paisley in charge right now and it wouldnt matter, cos this spincter and Ian are taking decisions on transfers. As you can tell by the shit players we have signed.

Take a bow son, Mike Gordon, rich american man with no medals.

No accountability for these decisions means spinning in circles like communist Russia.Im not Rodgers biggest fan but he's not signing players, so its not fair, lets give him full control of transfers and sack him for signing Ashley Williams as and when, cos the lack of identifiable accountability is whats killing us.

Much as I would like to point the cadbury finger at Brendan, its not him we send the shop for jaffa cakes, like I say we could have Bob Paisley back but if Mike Gordon is buying lemon puffs its not gonna work is it? Or Just sack Paisley and rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 1

Michael Gordon is a Managing Partner of Vinik Asset Management LLC, a Boston-based investment firm he co-founded in 1996.  Prior to Vinik Asset Management, Mr. Gordon spent nine years at Fidelity Investments as a research analyst and the portfolio manager of the Blue Chip Growth Fund. He is also a Limited Partner/Board Member of the Boston Red Sox and a Director of Liverpool Football Club.

Mr. Gordon is a Trustee of a number of non-profit institutions including: The Dana Farber Cancer Institute, The Jimmy Fund, The Liverpool FC Foundation, The Red Sox Foundation, Belmont Hill School, The Winsor School, The Boys and Girls Club of Boston, and The Brookline Teen Center.

As a Tufts student, Mr. Gordon graduated Summa Cum Laude and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He is a former member of the Board of Advisors to the School of Arts & Sciences.  He and his wife, Christina, currently reside in Brookline, MA with their four children.

Michael S. Gordon was elected to the Tufts Board of Trustees in November 2012.

This is Bascombe's latest revelation as to who exactly is on it. Apologies if it's already been on as I'm not on here so often of late.

Although I do have huge sympathy for Rodgers on this matter and have been banging the anti transfer committee drum for as long as I've known it's existed, I do think Brendan missed a trick in the summer.

From a position of strength when his stock was high and he was negotiating his new contract, the first thing to be negotiated should have been this fucking committee. Negotiated out of existence that is, but he didn't, so in effect he accepted these circumstances and will now have to live with the presumably dire consequences.

I am glad though, that at last, plenty of others are seeing it's far from being all his fault.

Mike Gordon, director

Gordon, who sits on the board of Liverpool and the club’s parent company, Fenway Sports Group, has been described as the man who runs Liverpool on a day-to-day basis, the link between owner John W Henry and chief executive Ian Ayre. In his late forties, he has the deepest knowledge of football of anyone at FSG and is its eyes and ears on Merseyside.

Ian Ayre, chief executive officer

Born in Liverpool, Ayre was appointed commercial director at Anfield by the club’s previous owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett. A lifelong Liverpool supporter, he was appointed managing director by FSG and promoted again to chief executive earlier this year. He is responsible for negotiating transfer fees and contracts. Has explained the transfer committee theory thus: “Your biggest expenditure line can’t be the whim of any individual.”

Dave Fallows, head of recruitment

Joined Liverpool amid great fanfare in the summer of 2012, leaving his role as first-team recruitment and scouting coordinator at Manchester City, then the Premier League champions. Liverpool had been looking for a sporting director to succeed Damien Comolli, who left the club in April 2012, but dropped that search after the Fallows appointment.

Barry Hunter, chief scout

Former Wrexham and Reading defender who had a spell as Rushden and Diamonds manager which ended when he oversaw their relegation from the Football League in 2006. Hunter, 43, joined Liverpool from Manchester City with Fallows. Hunter had been City’s chief scout for Italy, Switzerland and Russia.

Michael Edwards, head of performance and analysis

Edwards’ analysis of potential targets makes him a key figure at Liverpool, where owner Henry has regularly spoken of his admiration of a 'Moneyball’ philosophy – essentially the use of statistical analysis to find transfer bargains. Ayre has denied Liverpool have directly followed a Moneyball model, but Edwards retains a significant influence over targets.

Brendan Rodgers, manager

Appointed in 2012 to succeed Kenny Dalglish, whose demise followed the ill-fated £35 million signing of Andy Carroll, still the highest fee paid for an Englishman. Rodgers has input on signings, but does not always get his way – players such as Michel Vorm and Ashley Williams might now be at Liverpool if that had been the case.

Rodgers may have tried to negotiate away the transfer committee but may have been thwarted by the owners. You can negotiate but that doesnt mean the other party will agree to it.

Of course if Rodgers felt so strongly against the TC, he could have made it a non signing of his new contract issue. But even then, if the owners had refused, he'd have had to walk as a matter of principle.

I've no idea who this mike gordon is apart from the brief info posted.

I think everyone is fucked off with this committee and think it should be disbanded.

I do not have Rodgers down as a patsy. Saying that, after saying he would pay many more millions for Allen and boasting of Borini. No-one would be surprised if they sent him to the naughty corner with a dunce hat on. How much did he want to bid on Williams and Vorm, swap him for Suarez. I think that is a wee bit too much, Brendan. Was he going to play Vorm as a defensive midfielder.

Anyway, one of Rodgers big problems are his poor coaching this season. No excuses for being schooled by Warnock, BFS, Pardiola and the rest. If we continue this shit run at the end of the season, sack them all. It seems to me they are all in self preservation mode. A bit like catching 5 people in a car without insurance and nobody admits to being the driver.

Shame they can't all act in the dignified manner Kenny did and not play the blame game.

I do not have Rodgers down as a patsy. Saying that, after saying he would pay many more millions for Allen and boasting of Borini. No-one would be surprised if they sent him to the naughty corner with a dunce hat on. How much did he want to bid on Williams and Vorm, swap him for Suarez. I think that is a wee bit too much, Brendan. Was he going to play Vorm as a defensive midfielder.

Anyway, one of Rodgers big problems are his poor coaching this season. No excuses for being schooled by Warnock, BFS, Pardiola and the rest. If we continue this shit run at the end of the season, sack them all. It seems to me they are all in self preservation mode. A bit like catching 5 people in a car without insurance and nobody admits to being the driver.

Shame they can't all act in the dignified manner Kenny did and not play the blame game.

Rodger's has come out and said the responsibility is his though. At least for the playing side of things. You have to give him credit for that.

The transfer stuff in fairness hes also said numerous times no one gets signed without his say so. He might not be as vehement about it as Kenny was but he has said that much(I think...) 

For all the criticism leveled at him(right now most of it deserved) all this stuff about him not taking responsibility I don't think is fair. But thats just my opinion. 

Rodger's has come out and said the responsibility is his though. At least for the playing side of things. You have to give him credit for that.

The transfer stuff in fairness hes also said numerous times no one gets signed without his say so. He might not be as vehement about it as Kenny was but he has said that much(I think...) 

For all the criticism leveled at him(right now most of it deserved) all this stuff about him not taking responsibility I don't think is fair. But thats just my opinion. 

Hes under duress though cant expect him to say bad things about his employers and surely thinks he can work his way around it all or wouldnt have taken the job.

I cant see them sacking him unless it gets real bad but if we did it would be nice to know lessons were being learnt yet am not sure these people are going to be held to account at any point, they will keep their heads down and try and stay under the radar like all successfull cochroaches, away from scrutiny.

And I trust Rodgers choice of player, as a football man for my club more than Mike WhothemuthaFucking Gordon, the 'Investor'.

• Upvote 1

This is Bascombe's latest revelation as to who exactly is on it. Apologies if it's already been on as I'm not on here so often of late.

Although I do have huge sympathy for Rodgers on this matter and have been banging the anti transfer committee drum for as long as I've known it's existed, I do think Brendan missed a trick in the summer.

From a position of strength when his stock was high and he was negotiating his new contract, the first thing to be negotiated should have been this fucking committee. Negotiated out of existence that is, but he didn't, so in effect he accepted these circumstances and will now have to live with the presumably dire consequences.

I am glad though, that at last, plenty of others are seeing it's far from being all his fault.

Mike Gordon, director

Gordon, who sits on the board of Liverpool and the club’s parent company, Fenway Sports Group, has been described as the man who runs Liverpool on a day-to-day basis, the link between owner John W Henry and chief executive Ian Ayre. In his late forties, he has the deepest knowledge of football of anyone at FSG and is its eyes and ears on Merseyside.

Ian Ayre, chief executive officer

Born in Liverpool, Ayre was appointed commercial director at Anfield by the club’s previous owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett. A lifelong Liverpool supporter, he was appointed managing director by FSG and promoted again to chief executive earlier this year. He is responsible for negotiating transfer fees and contracts. Has explained the transfer committee theory thus: “Your biggest expenditure line can’t be the whim of any individual.”

Dave Fallows, head of recruitment

Joined Liverpool amid great fanfare in the summer of 2012, leaving his role as first-team recruitment and scouting coordinator at Manchester City, then the Premier League champions. Liverpool had been looking for a sporting director to succeed Damien Comolli, who left the club in April 2012, but dropped that search after the Fallows appointment.

Barry Hunter, chief scout

Former Wrexham and Reading defender who had a spell as Rushden and Diamonds manager which ended when he oversaw their relegation from the Football League in 2006. Hunter, 43, joined Liverpool from Manchester City with Fallows. Hunter had been City’s chief scout for Italy, Switzerland and Russia.

Michael Edwards, head of performance and analysis

Edwards’ analysis of potential targets makes him a key figure at Liverpool, where owner Henry has regularly spoken of his admiration of a 'Moneyball’ philosophy – essentially the use of statistical analysis to find transfer bargains. Ayre has denied Liverpool have directly followed a Moneyball model, but Edwards retains a significant influence over targets.

Brendan Rodgers, manager

Appointed in 2012 to succeed Kenny Dalglish, whose demise followed the ill-fated £35 million signing of Andy Carroll, still the highest fee paid for an Englishman. Rodgers has input on signings, but does not always get his way – players such as Michel Vorm and Ashley Williams might now be at Liverpool if that had been the case.

Why are the top two even involved? they are money men, not football men. Should just be the bottom four plus a DOF to negate an even vote. Or keep the four and give Rodgers two votes to the others one, so the accountability is there.

• Upvote 1

Good afternoon Frode.

• Upvote 1

The transfer stuff in fairness hes also said numerous times no one gets signed without his say so.

I'm not convinced about that but, even if it's true we don't know what level of say so he's being given.

For example, he couldn't have made it more clear he didn't want Balotelli.

But then it looks to me like he was eventually given a choice between Balotelli and nobody.

What sort of meaningful 'say so' is that?

He was never gonna say "I'll have nobody then" was he? Especially after Carroll was sold without being replaced early in his tenure leaving us struggling for half a season.

I also don't think Brendan has indulged in any kind of blame game either. It's us doing that on his behalf with some using it to back him and others adamant the buck stops with him.

Which itself is part of the problem because by it's very existence it leads not just potentially to compromise and fudge, but lack of accountability and division among fans who will judge it's influence according to whether they like Rodgers or not.

I have no idea whether this stuff is what's actually happening, what I do know is that money men should not be involved with deciding which players we go for, we've been down this road before & it wasn't pretty.

Personally, I think you appoint a manager & let him get on with managing the Football team, which includes player recruitment.

• Upvote 1

Well if they " are giving him a lot of credit for the teams improvement over the last 18 months "

perhaps they would like to kick the cunt to death for the rail crash this season.

They are fucking muppets FSG . Why do they think someone with no soccerball experience is qualified to run Liverpool . If they lose their shirts on this venture then it serves them fucking well right . 

It looks like Rodgers/Ayre are briefing Bascombe/Dave Kidd and telling all the hangerons that Rodgers has his hands tied. Every manager has his hands tied. Anyway, the reason we ended up with the Donkey Lovren, is purely down to Rodgers. He killed Agger and did not want rate Sakho. Toure who has not been infected by Rodgers cowboy defending gets splinters sitting on the bench watching Lovren make a fool of himself. Why Mignolet, again Rodgers fell out/did not rate Reina. Rodgers has made his own mess, but wants others to clean his shit up and get poo all over them. It will probably work as maybe it will cost too much to send everyone to Boston.

• Upvote 3

They are fucking muppets FSG . Why do they think someone with no soccerball experience is qualified to run Liverpool . If they lose their shirts on this venture then it serves them fucking well right . 

Maybe they looked at the club's performance since 1990 and thought even so called people with football experience had made a cack hand of it?

No manager of any quality would come here with that structure in place. If they sack Rodgers our transfer business won't improve one bit.

This is what worries me, Im not Rodgers biggest fan but he needs to be given control and held to account. The whole set up stinks and unless we address that we will end up with a load of shite overpriced players the manager cant/wont use.

Players like Balotelli shitting all over our team spirit will become the norm as long as moneyscrotum is the order of the day.