You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

And the fact sides 2 and 3 man mark him at times because of his threat? That has nothing to do with it? 

It’s part of the reason.

A larger part is because we’re really fucking good all over the pitch.

I’m not really prepared to discuss with you. It’s just going to go round & round in circles and I’ve better things to do, like anything. 

• Upvote 1

Klopp was asked if he was surprised with the amount of goals Jota has scored. His answer was really interesting, in a word he said no.  The reason he gave was because they measured how often he got into good positions and how many good chances he had, they simply figured if they stuck him our side you could add a zero to those numbers. I'm not saying Bowen or Raphinha can replicate Mo's numbers but equally you can't take their numbers at face value either,  double them after year of playing for Klopp.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It’s part of the reason.

A larger part is because we’re really fucking good all over the pitch.

I’m not really prepared to discuss with you. It’s just going to go round & round in circles and I’ve better things to do, like anything. 

Our top scorer ever single season since he joined the club definitely is ‘part of the reason’. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, No2 said:

Klopp was asked if he was surprised with the amount of goals Jota has scored. His answer was really interesting, in a word he said no.  The reason he gave was because they measured how often he got into good positions and how many good chances he had, they simply figured if they stuck him our side you could add a zero to those numbers. I'm not saying Bowen or Raphinha can replicate Mo's numbers but equally you can't take their numbers at face value either,  double them after year of playing for Klopp.

Yeah, that's why I was asking the other day if there are stats sites with charts of shot locations for attackers. It's probably less hard to figure out who we might buy if you just look at who takes a load of shots in good positions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, that's why I was asking the other day if there are stats sites with charts of shot locations for attackers. It's probably less hard to figure out who we might buy if you just look at who takes a load of shots in good positions. 

It wasn't even shots, he was pointing out he got into positions were no chance developed but figured if he was playing for a better team a chance would have been created.

2 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

Klopp intervened when Hendo's contract talks reached an impasse.  When Salah's did he merely said 'the balls is in Mo's court'.

The contrast seems significant.  Why is he not going to bat for Mo like he did Hendo?

The Henderson deal would have been much easier to sort.

Henderson wouldn't have had offers of 400k+ a week coming in from the likes of PSG and Juventus. If he had left us he would most likely have had to take a pay cut.

11 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

Klopp intervened when Hendo's contract talks reached an impasse.  When Salah's did he merely said 'the balls is in Mo's court'.

The contrast seems significant.  Why is he not going to bat for Mo like he did Hendo?

This is quite the reach. How do you know Klopp didn’t “go to bat” loads for Mo but it was for, say £350k, but Mo is holding for £400k? Klopp obviously wants Mo to stay, but if a £400k a week contract is going to stop the Bellingham signing then maybe “go to bat” is Klopp telling Mo the best he can get is £300k a week and now the balls is in his court. 

Comparing the contract negotiations of Henderson and Salah is nonsensical. Henderson got a contract on £140k a week. A lot easier to argue for a 3rd of what Salah wants given Henderson’s value as a player and as captain. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, No2 said:

Good post and articulates better / provides an example of what I was trying to say.

Jota has come is as a previously reasonably un-fancied player into our side and has been banging them in. 

I know the goals haven’t come quite yet, but I don’t think anybody can say Diaz doesn’t look quality. 

And that’s the point. There are other options out there that could come into our team and hit the ground running. 

If other posters can’t see the above or appreciate others opinions or aren’t prepared to accept it, then unless his contract is sorted, this thread is going to go round in circles all summer. 

Again, to stress, I genuinely hope Mo stays. If he doesn’t, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Good post and articulates better / provides an example of what I was trying to say.

Jota has come is as a previously reasonably un-fancied player into our side and has been banging them in. 

I know the goals haven’t come quite yet, but I don’t think anybody can say Diaz doesn’t look quality. 

And that’s the point. There are other options out there that could come into our team and hit the ground running. 

If other posters can’t see the above or appreciate others opinions or aren’t prepared to accept it, then unless his contract is sorted, this thread is going to go round in circles all summer. 

Again, to stress, I genuinely hope Mo stays. If he doesn’t, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. 

You might’ve said already, and sorry if you have, but I’m the “if he doesn’t” scenario, would you prefer we had another Mo season and lose him for nowt, or lose him after this year for a wedge?

like you I hope he signs a new deal, but if he doesn’t, of the two options I’d rather see him play out that last year with us and go off into the sunset after giving us one more great year.

If he isn't signed by the end of this season he has to go. It is nice to think that he would play the same way and get the same level of support for another year but I do not see it. He would get a bit of flak from a few, and probably worse from some bellends. It's just not a position I think that Klopp would endorse. It was manageable with Gini but this is way different.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If he isn't signed by the end of this season he has to go. It is nice to think that he would play the same way and get the same level of support for another year but I do not see it. He would get a bit of flak from a few, and probably worse from some bellends. It's just not a position I think that Klopp would endorse. It was manageable with Gini but this is way different.

Gini's smile alone was worth an extra 40k a week. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

You might’ve said already, and sorry if you have, but I’m the “if he doesn’t” scenario, would you prefer we had another Mo season and lose him for nowt, or lose him after this year for a wedge?

like you I hope he signs a new deal, but if he doesn’t, of the two options I’d rather see him play out that last year with us and go off into the sunset after giving us one more great year.

I can see it both ways.

How much would having to replace Salah impact our summer plans? Do we need to replace Mane and / or Firmino as well?

Have we already committed to Bellingham or Tchouaméni?

If, for example, we sold Mo for £80m and then signed Raphina or Adeyemi or Dembele for significantly less, could we then strengthen other areas more? Midfield clearly needs bolstering. 

I think it’s an impossible question to answer without inside information. 

I would normally agree he has to go if he doesn't sign but the upcoming season will be very peculiar with the World Cup during the season. There will be probably more injuries, we'll need all the depth we can get and he isn't going to the tournament, so he'll be more fresh than others. As long as there's no morale or motivation problems, I'd think about keeping him, but would the club reject big money offers for him if they knew he wanted to leave, probably not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure if you've worked out yet that only Man City and PSG can afford him, but also he's had a shit 3 months of form and is overdue an injury.  

I'd sell him for anything over £100m, all paid up front.  I don't want some 4 year payment plan for £140m. 

Our cash then makes other signings cheaper and quicker.  

• Downvote 1

23 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

What were our scoring averages for the 4 years before we bought Mo and 5 years after? 

My guess is we average around a dozen more per season over these last 5.

It does bring up the fact that the sides Mo has been in have never scored as many as we did in 2013/2014.

Even if we keep scoring at our current rate for the rest of this season it won't be matched.

14 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

It’s all well and good saying ‘he has to go’. 

Salah is only going this summer if he wants to. He has all the decision making power. 

ETA: And all the comments from his agent and LFC journos is that he doesn’t want to go anywhere this year. 

I do not see him staying if a good offer comes in - that would seriously poison the punch.

On 29/03/2022 at 21:00, Dynamite said:

His penalty for Egypt in the shootout this evening might shave a few thousand per week off any demands...

His agent should simply blame it on the experts we have on here who were adamant he was wrong to have waited for the 5th penalty kick in the AFCON final. He goes first in the WC qualifiers and skies it, while Mane goes 5th and wins the game again. There simply is no guaranteed formula to these things in a shootout.