You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Bellingham aint coming here if he's on or want over 300 grand a week.

I mean what have Sancho, reputed to be on 350 grand a week at the mancs and bellingham achieved in football to warrant that? Fuck all.

I desparately want Mo to stay but I dont think looking at other clubs largesse should be used as our yardstick.

Top players want decent money. That’s not ‘largesse’. That’s football. 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Quite. 

Just because other clubs grossly mismanage their finances doesn’t mean we should.

”Best offer in the history of LFC” should be more than enough for any player.

I like the narrative has already started about the owners. Yawn.  

I love Mo. I genuinely want him to stay and this get sorted. I don’t think a club that has scored 115 goals this season before March (2.5 per game) and is on course for close to 150 goals, can say they rely on 1 player heavily enough that, that number would drop considerably. 

We’re a well oiled machine all over the pitch these days and aren’t reliant on the individual brilliance, of say Suarez. 

The mancs have a massive turnover and massive profits, almost identical to ours. Their mismanagement of finances is where they’ve spent that money. Not being able to do so. 

You work in finance, if you made more money for your company than comparative employees else where, saw your employers wealth increasing massively in part off the back

of your work would you be happy accepting less than big standard elsewhere? 

What narrative? You don’t think the owners will be making the decision? Who do you think will be making it? 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Why won't every other player then use that as a baseline for future negotiations, it's not about players wanting to exceed Salah's new wage it's about filling the gap below it.

Because they’re no where near as good. When you are and have contributed come back and we’ll talk again. 

24 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

How? 

Because as brilliant as he is Alisson and VVD are just as important and even though they've recently signed new contracts two seasons is not that far away. Also,this type of money is fuckin obscene when so many of us are absolutely skint and Mo is supposed to be a good Muslim fella. He is not exactly starving to begin with and is already being paid a decent wedge. As many have said,I'd trust Klopp if he had to replace him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Because as brilliant as he is Alisson and VVD are just as important and even though they've recently signed new contracts two seasons is not that far away. Also,this type of money is fuckin obscene when so many of us are absolutely skint and Mo is supposed to be a good Muslim fella. He is not exactly starving to begin with and is already being paid a decent wedge. As many have said,I'd trust Klopp if he had to replace him.

And it's incremental, so Harvey Elliot isn't going to ask to be on 350k a week because Salah's on 400k but as all the players shuffle up the list so their wages are more representative of the player above them then all those increases add up.

It's the same with new television deals, it doesn't take long for that head room to be absorbed into player contracts.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

But he’s seen his employers wealth grow obscenely during the pandemic, the club only made a tiny loss, the value of the club continues to grow massively. 

Do you genuinely think Mo accepting a lower salary would result in a reduction of ticket prices? Cheaper kids kits? Subsidised travel for away fans? 

His religion has nothing to do with it. 

11 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Why do players contracts keep increasing across the board not just the ones who are good and deserve it then?

That’s the point - they don’t. 

As players get older we offer less - see Milner and Henderson. As players have performed and contributed to the success of the club they deserve a wage increase. 

You can also look and the continual increase of finances coming into the game and continual increase on investment the players have contributed to for the owners. 

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

And it's incremental, so Harvey Elliot isn't going to ask to be on 350k a week because Salah's on 400k but as all the players shuffle up the list so their wages are more representative of the player above them then all those increases add up.

It's the same with new television deals, it doesn't take long for that head room to be absorbed into player contracts.

Where else would you like increased revenues the club creates to go? 

Reduced season ticket prices? 
100 free kids tickets to all primary schools in the city on a rotating basis? 
Free pint on a match day? 

7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

But he’s seen his employers wealth grow obscenely during the pandemic, the club only made a tiny loss, the value of the club continues to grow massively. 

Do you genuinely think Mo accepting a lower salary would result in a reduction of ticket prices? Cheaper kids kits? Subsidised travel for away fans? 

His religion has nothing to do with it. 

His religion is something that is often mentioned to show how humble he is in his daily life,a lot like Sadio. Humility and modesty are seen as big parts of their personality away from the game. This whole carry on from his agent is not helping Mo maintain this image much at all. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His religion is something that is often mentioned to show how humble he is in his daily life,a lot like Sadio. Humility and modesty are seen as big parts of their personality away from the game. This whole carry on from his agent is not helping Mo maintain this image much at all. 

That has fuck all to do with his religion mate. 

15 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Klopp intervened when Hendo's contract talks reached an impasse.  When Salah's did he merely said 'the balls is in Mo's court'.

The contrast seems significant.  Why is he not going to bat for Mo like he did Hendo?

Probably because ultimately Hendo wanted to stay above all. Despite the multitude of interviews Salah has given on the subject, I'm not really convinced he's arsed about staying or going. He'll just want his money from wherever, which is fair enough. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Klopp intervened when Hendo's contract talks reached an impasse.  When Salah's did he merely said 'the balls is in Mo's court'.

The contrast seems significant.  Why is he not going to bat for Mo like he did Hendo?

What on earth makes you think Jurgen 'hasnt gone into bat' for Mo? Maybe Mo or his agent are simply being awkward with their negotiations?

In any event, I dont recall Hendo's agent mocking Klopp publically, can you?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

The mancs have a massive turnover and massive profits, almost identical to ours. Their mismanagement of finances is where they’ve spent that money. Not being able to do so. 

You work in finance, if you made more money for your company than comparative employees else where, saw your employers wealth increasing massively in part off the back

of your work would you be happy accepting less than big standard elsewhere? 

What narrative? You don’t think the owners will be making the decision? Who do you think will be making it? 

If Mo was 25, I’d agree with you. But he’s not. 

I’ve made the same point on Mo multiple times over the last few weeks. I want him to stay, if he doesn’t then it’s his loss and the clubs best ever position to deal with a key player leaving. 

44 minutes ago, John102 said:

Alongside 'there are loads of wide players that cut inside these days' it's got to be up there with one of the worst shouts of the day.

Well, there is. 

Maybe not at Mo’s current level but Mo wasn’t at his current level at Roma.

Mo has been great for us. We’ve been great for Mo. In all competitions, this team is likely going to score close to 150 goals this season and concede 30-40, that is not based on one player.

23 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If Mo was 25, I’d agree with you. But he’s not. 

I’ve made the same point on Mo multiple times over the last few weeks. I want him to stay, if he doesn’t then it’s his loss and the clubs best ever position to deal with a key player leaving. 

Why his loss? You don’t think it could be our loss too? 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Why his loss? You don’t think it could be our loss too? 

Because currently, virtually everywhere else from us is a step down. 

We can easier replace him than he can replace us.

Refer back to the posts on c.150 goals we’re going to score this season. It’s not a one man show.

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Because currently, virtually everywhere else from us is a step down. 

We can easier replace him than he can replace us.

Refer back to the posts on c.150 goals we’re going to score this season. It’s not a one man show.

And the fact sides 2 and 3 man mark him at times because of his threat? That has nothing to do with it?