You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

There's a number of factors to consider regarding his future.

Firstly, there's no way we can come close to offering him the sort of money that Saudi Arabia has offered him. I think any talk of him signing a new contract here is fanciful. He will be 32 in the summer. It's difficult to gauge how much longer he can go on at the top level. Sadio Mane dropped off a cliff very quickly and he is a similar age and has a similar lifestyle to Salah.

Secondly as a club can we realistically turn down £100 million for a 32 year old with one year on his contract with massive wages?

If we don't cash in next summer then we never will, and we certainly won't get a better offer at any point in the future.

I will be gutted when he leaves, he's arguably my favourite ever player now, so I'm torn about him going, but I feel that it's pretty inevitable that he will leave in the summer. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Firstly, there's no way we can come close to offering him the sort of money that Saudi Arabia has offered him. I think any talk of him signing a new contract here is fanciful. He will be 32 in the summer. It's difficult to gauge how much longer he can go on at the top level. Sadio Mane dropped off a cliff very quickly and he is a similar age and has a similar lifestyle to Salah.

Secondly as a club can we realistically turn down £100 million for a 32 year old with one year on his contract with massive wages?

If we don't cash in next summer then we never will, and we certainly won't get a better offer at any point in the future.

I will be gutted when he leaves, he's arguably my favourite ever player now, so I'm torn about him going, but I feel that it's pretty inevitable that he will leave in the summer. 

I don't think Mane dropped off a cliff at all. I think his attitude changed and his agent asked for far more than the club were willing to pay. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

I meant more at Bayern than with us, although he struggled in the first half of his last season here. 

Oh right. To be fair he did get injured but fighting with his team mates didn't help. I always wonder if African players get a bit stressed from pressure and requests from back home. Especially when they are a superstar earning massive money abroad. Drogba,Salah and Mane,among many others,are almost like a lifeline to their countryfolk with their regular donations and funding of hospital and schools etc.

10 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is exactly right.

Mo is absolutely brilliant, and will go down as one of our greatest ever players. But despite that, at some point he will lose his physical edge and his level will fall off a cliff - it happens to everyone.

There is a pretty solid argument to be made that he might stretch that cliff out for a season or two beyond normal players - he certainly takes very good care of himself! However, as you say, you would rather let a player go a season too early than one too late, and it will be touch and go (and probably, in the end, come down to the offer that is made for a fee) as to whether he's sold or gets an extension.

it depends what you are trying to do though. if your aim is to try and flog salah to fund other signings, then it is a difficult choice. but the only place he is going where we'll get significant enough money is saudi. he either wants to go there or he doesn't and if he does, he will surely push for that this summer. if he doesn't, all we need to do is keep him on shortish contracts and if and when there is a season where he drops off a cliff, we don't do a new one. unless we're desperate for the 100m saudi will likely offer this summer, we should be trying to get the most out of salah for as long as we possibly can. 

• Upvote 2

On 15/11/2023 at 14:14, Barrington Womble said:

it depends what you are trying to do though. if your aim is to try and flog salah to fund other signings, then it is a difficult choice. but the only place he is going where we'll get significant enough money is saudi. he either wants to go there or he doesn't and if he does, he will surely push for that this summer. if he doesn't, all we need to do is keep him on shortish contracts and if and when there is a season where he drops off a cliff, we don't do a new one. unless we're desperate for the 100m saudi will likely offer this summer, we should be trying to get the most out of salah for as long as we possibly can. 

If he takes the Saudi money in summer he's admitting his career at the top is done. Mane is gone, Bobby is gone, of the Red Arrows he's the last man standing. He will get the Saudi money eventually, but maybe not yet. 

On 16/11/2023 at 21:36, El Rojo said:

Doesn’t strike me as the kind of fella who wants to quit us to play in front of crowds of 600. 

Granted he’ll be a bigger draw than Henderson over there, but surely he can see that the whole thing is a bit cringeworthy?

No one suggested he’s going to Man City.

• Haha 3

On 16/11/2023 at 21:36, El Rojo said:

Doesn’t strike me as the kind of fella who wants to quit us to play in front of crowds of 600. 

Granted he’ll be a bigger draw than Henderson over there, but surely he can see that the whole thing is a bit cringeworthy?

I don't think he is going to leave i reckon he loves it here if he was going to go surely it would of been last summer but you never know i suppose

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

We should be offering him a 12 month extension if he wants it. If he doesn't I think you habe to sell for 100ml or so to fund his replacement. 

Yeah we cant let him walk away for nothing. We ain't sportwashers or oligarch cod pieces. An extension so we get another season would be great otherwise we have to move on and build for life after Salah. 

I’d more or less resigned myself to the fact he was leaving in the summer.

He’ll just have turned 32, 1 year left on his contract, likely >£100m bid in the summer… it’s a deal that suited all parties.

He’s showing zero signs of slowing down. His performances are as good as they’ve ever been.

Hes still too good to waste his last couple of years playing to c.20k (at best) per week playing in a joke league.

If he wants to go to Saudi, then that’s up to him. He can’t be allowed to leave on a free, so he’d have to go this summer so we get a good fee.

If we continue our seemingly upwards trajectory we’ve started the season with, would he want to stay and have another go at the CL or another go at the league?

Alternatively, would the club want to renew his contract? Financially, we can’t / won’t offer the Saudi level of money, so it would have to be on a similar wages as he is on now. 

Given we’ll want a fee to go towards signing a replacement, I do wonder if the club has the desire to renew his contract? Even if he signs a rolling 1 year extension, the longer we keep him, the less we’ll eventually get for him. Although, the longer we keep him, the more you’d hope Doak becomes closer to becoming a significant first team player, meaning the amount we might have to spend on a replacement would be less.

Will the Saudi option still be there in 2/3 years? I suppose them winning the World Cup bid somewhat insures that. 

Personally, I’d hope we can agree an automatic 1 year extension every summer until both sides agree, 6/12m in advance, it’s best for both parties to part ways.

I genuinely don’t know which way it’ll go.

On 15/11/2023 at 11:25, Megadrive Man said:

Mane came 2nd in the Balon D’or in his last season for us. 

On 19/11/2023 at 21:23, Scott_M said:

I’d more or less resigned myself to the fact he was leaving in the summer.

He’ll just have turned 32, 1 year left on his contract, likely >£100m bid in the summer… it’s a deal that suited all parties.

He’s showing zero signs of slowing down. His performances are as good as they’ve ever been.

Hes still too good to waste his last couple of years playing to c.20k (at best) per week playing in a joke league.

If he wants to go to Saudi, then that’s up to him. He can’t be allowed to leave on a free, so he’d have to go this summer so we get a good fee.

If we continue our seemingly upwards trajectory we’ve started the season with, would he want to stay and have another go at the CL or another go at the league?

Alternatively, would the club want to renew his contract? Financially, we can’t / won’t offer the Saudi level of money, so it would have to be on a similar wages as he is on now. 

Given we’ll want a fee to go towards signing a replacement, I do wonder if the club has the desire to renew his contract? Even if he signs a rolling 1 year extension, the longer we keep him, the less we’ll eventually get for him. Although, the longer we keep him, the more you’d hope Doak becomes closer to becoming a significant first team player, meaning the amount we might have to spend on a replacement would be less.

Will the Saudi option still be there in 2/3 years? I suppose them winning the World Cup bid somewhat insures that. 

Personally, I’d hope we can agree an automatic 1 year extension every summer until both sides agree, 6/12m in advance, it’s best for both parties to part ways.

I genuinely don’t know which way it’ll go.

Maybe we sign him back up and he has a yearly release clause by the end of June or something, so if he does drop off and just wants the cash, or doesn't feel he can push on anymore, it gives us all chance to walk away happy and on good terms. But outside the end of the season till the 1st July, he has no chance to move. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe we sign him back up and he has a yearly release clause by the end of June or something, so if he does drop off and just wants the cash, or doesn't feel he can push on anymore, it gives us all chance to walk away happy and on good terms. But outside the end of the season till the 1st July, he has no chance to move. 

Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. 

Like Messi had at Barca, well, until he didn’t! 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, an tha said:

I was just reading that. Imagine what his figures would be like if he still gave a shit and was actually playing well and Klopp wasn't trying to drive him out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...