You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

If we win the league this season, if I were the club, I'd almost push him out the door (after kissing his feet for everything he's done). It'd be the natural conclusion, plus we get the fee we need. If we come up short, there will be a very uncomfortable debate with feelings of leaving things undone. It will be bad. 

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

He won't be playing in front of small crowds though as he won't be going to one of the shite Saudi clubs like Gerrard and Henderson. Plus he's exactly the sort of player that will bring crowds in.

He will be 32 in June, so the dilemma we have is do we cash in on him then for £100m or keep him and let him go for free a year later.

A new deal is a non starter. We can't offer him anything close to the Saudi money offer and we aren't going to offer more than £350k a week at his age.

I highly doubt he'll expect us to match any Saudi offer. He'll be a realist about that. It's a huge risk for the club either way, as if he does go that's quite possibly another season building the forward line.

I think he signs a deal. As for crowds, not exactly 60 thousand gates are they. Not that I've seen anyway. 

4 hours ago, an tha said:

He must be able to see from Henderson, Fabinho and Firmino just how shite it is out there as well from a football perspective.

I find it hard to believe that a player at the level he is still at and who has the mindset he has would want to play over there.

Totally agree. We are playing at the highest level and will be under Jurgen for a few more seasons. When Jurgen extends the machine will keep rolling.

4 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm not sure what to think about progress in AFCON.  Last time when they lost the final his form dropped off quite considerably.  So part of me wants them out as soon as possible, but will he then get in his own head and struggle?  So maybe missing a few extra games and winning it sees a Salah on fire for the rest of the season?  Very annoying either way that we're losing him.

once out of the groups, weren't all their games going to extra time and pens or is my mind deceiving me? a start might just be games are done in 90. but for sure, i just want them out asap. unlikely i know. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we win the league this season, if I were the club, I'd almost push him out the door (after kissing his feet for everything he's done). It'd be the natural conclusion, plus we get the fee we need. If we come up short, there will be a very uncomfortable debate with feelings of leaving things undone. It will be bad. 

Yes lets push him out the door in the summer.

Who wants those 20+ guarenteed goals every season from a wide player?

IMG_9693.jpeg

IMG_9694.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Code said:

IMG_9693.jpeg

IMG_9694.jpeg

I think it would be the right time to move on, on a high. There's a good chance he'll want to leave regardless, for a variety of reasons.

33 minutes ago, Code said:

Knocked out on the 2nd, bench against Arsenal the 4th?

Knowing Salah he would deffo say he was ready to play if it happened. 

Didn't he line up for us about 25 minutes after the end of the last AFCON final?  (That might have been motivated by a desire to get the defeat behind him as quickly as possible.)

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

once out of the groups, weren't all their games going to extra time and pens or is my mind deceiving me? a start might just be games are done in 90. but for sure, i just want them out asap. unlikely i know. 

I think all of their games went to pens after goalless draws. The final against Senegal was goalless after extra time. 

Egypt were awful and basically played to win on pens every knockout game. They just had a load of players from their domestic league and a few who play for mid level clubs in Europe. They were just looking to Salah to get them through with a piece of magic but most of the time were just hoofing it 10 yards in front of him. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You don't have to think very hard to find reasons. I'll let you come up with them because they've been said ad nauseum.

1.  Money

2. ...

3. I suggested that it might be easier to visit family in Egypt if he goes somewhere nearer to there

5 er, I don't know... Money again?

That's my list.  What's yours?

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think winning the league would definitely make it more likely the club doesn't do much to keep him. Get a massive fee from the head choppers league and spend his wage packet on two players.

Salah has failed to score or got an assist in 8 of 27 games this season, we have dropped points in four of them (50%). 

PL: Tottenham away 2-1 (should have had an assist on Diaz goal)

PL: Luton away 1-1

EL: Toulouse away 3-2

PL: Man Utd home 0-0

Basically, other players need to step up, as Salah will not contribute the next  five to eight matches. 

2 hours ago, Code said:

IMG_9693.jpeg

IMG_9694.jpeg

Isn't his current contract running the summer after next? Foregoing 50 to 500 mil depending on how crazy Saudi market will be this summer plus factoring in his wages, it could be very expensive 20 goals.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Salah has failed to score or got an assist in 8 of 27 games this season, we have dropped points in four of them (50%). 

PL: Tottenham away 2-1 (should have had an assist on Diaz goal)

PL: Luton away 1-1

EL: Toulouse away 3-2

PL: Man Utd home 0-0

Basically, other players need to step up, as Salah will not contribute the next  five to eight matches. 

We won't be playing with 10 men though. So in terms of others need to step up, well for starters, there can be some contribution from the player who actually replaces him. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We won't be playing with 10 men though. So in terms of others need to step up, well for starters, there can be some contribution from the player who actually replaces him. 

AFCON 2022 (when we were missing Salah, Mané and Keïta) ran from 9th January to 6th February.  We played 6 matches; two each in the league, FA Cup and League Cup. We won 5 and Drew 1 (which was one of the two legs of the League Cup semi).

We coped then.  I'm fairly confident we can cope now.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Every game after groups went to extra time yeah.

10 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm not sure what to think about progress in AFCON.  Last time when they lost the final his form dropped off quite considerably.  So part of me wants them out as soon as possible, but will he then get in his own head and struggle?  So maybe missing a few extra games and winning it sees a Salah on fire for the rest of the season?  Very annoying either way that we're losing him.

Even if they finished 3rd in the group they qualify for the next round. It's a fucking joke just like the world cup. 

They'll probably make the semi finals minimum and if they do there's a 3rd place playoff so might aswell make the final. Best we could hope for is a quarter final loss and even that means he wouldn't play vs Arsenal as the quarter finals are 2/3 Feb and Arsenal game is 4th

The AFCON is a fucking pisstake. Every two years they take players for a month during the season. Often the managers play players with injuries cause they don't give a shit long term. Once you hot the knock out stages players play 4 games in 11/12 days and regularly play multiple 120 minute games. International football doesn't give a shit about players at all. 

• Upvote 1

Salah only goes if he wants to or the money offered for him lets us have a serious shot at replacing/rebuilding. I say rebuilding because I think without Salah we have a pretty misfit bunch of forwards who don’t particularly look like a unit of forwards of which we’re used to. A bunch of fine individuals. That said, Salah has shown that even as his pace drops off he has way more to his game. That threaded pass with the outside of his foot is a thing of beauty. He’s clearly not motivated by money otherwise he wouldn’t settle for Jadon Sancho money he’d be chasing the Ronaldo/Messi paycheque. So if he wants to stay I say fuck Stacksy and extend!

• Upvote 1

On 01/01/2024 at 18:55, AngryOfTuebrook said:

On the (frankly pointless) Arsenal thread, someone mentioned a deluded Goon claiming that Salah gets awarded soft penalties.

In real life, the stats bear out what you can actually see.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/who-has-won-the-most-penalties-premier-league/

Screenshot_2024-01-01-18-53-06-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

That was me. Wish I had this handy when my cousin made his stupid claim about Salah getting soft penalties. I'll download and save this for the next time he inevitably brings it up. 

• Upvote 1