You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

I'm not for sacking managers, but I am not for flogging a dead horse in order to keep the ideal that we aren't a sacking club either. Rodgers has to prove he has the ability to earn the right to stay by meeting realistic objectives. To me that was finishing 6th no more than 9 points from 4th and a decent cup run. So far he isn't and doesn't deserve to stay in the hope he gets it right.

So who's next? how long does he get? If he doesn't finish 6th is he out on his arse as well?

You are taking it too literal.

There has to be signs of progression not regression. Honestly, are the bunch of players we have right now the 9th best in the league? I honestly think not, yet that is where we are on course to finish, without any cup finals to look forward to.

You have to earn the right to stay in the job, in any job. The way things are going then he's on very thin ice. There may be a chance yet he can get us up the table and earn another year, but at this moment we don't look likely.

You have to set objectives both long and short term. Long term it's to get into the CL consistantly and then push on. Short term it's to improve on last year. He isn't doing that and if at the end of the season we are 8th or lower then, sorry, time to go.

We were stable a few years back, in fact no. 1 ranked club in Europe. In that final year of Hicks and Gillette, Purslow et al were appointed. Purslow took over the hiring and firing, a finger across the neck when questioned about Benitez's future to the applause of many fans. He even started signing players (Cole), and appointing managers (Hodgson, to steady the ship). So many predicted this future back then, distinctly remember an article by Dion Fanning although it wasn't only him.

We're a mid table side, an unproven manager, an M.D. riding round like a dick on a Harley.

I believe we're getting all we deserve.

I'm with you.

Rodgers was too much of a gamble at a too critical a point. He may become a great manager but right now I just don't see him doing it with us at all.

My dad said, 'he lacks presence'. And he is right. I don't see someone who will take us forward. And I don't want to see us fucking around hoping he is the man whilst we bob around mid table.

My first choice is and always will be Rafa. I believe he is the one who can get this club firing again. I wanted him in the summer and want him this summer if the oportunity arises because I believe he can fix what we are lacking.

Fire-juggling-friend-fail.gif?_cfgetx=img.rx:250;img.ry:250;

I've never liked Rodgers but feel strangely inclined to argue his corner here.

When he came he had a plan. The plan was to change the way we played quite significantly. He also inherited a number of older players at the end of their careers - players on big wages that needed to be moved on. He also inherited players who he could not see fitting into the style of play he wanted us to achieve. This was no small undertaking that a bit of tinkering would sort out in a handful of games.

Personally I don't buy it but FSG loved it and gave him a chance. I think some of his purchases have been poor, sometimes his tactics are wanting and at other times the players do not seem to have been mentally conditioned for the challenge. But everyone of us must have known that things like this would happen with such an inexperienced manager.

On the positive side he has recognised his own mistakes and responded. Allen, Borini, Sahin have all underperformed and have been quite rightly dropped/shipped. There are many managers who will persevere with a dud for much longer than they should. There have been games where he has switched tactics when things have not gone as planned. On occasions we have played some cracking football. He has brought in Sturridge who is looking like the bargain of the season. He has given the youngsters a great opportunity to prove themselves.

Current levels of achievement are way, way below what we demand so should we get rid of him? IMO he isn't yet the dead horse that everyone is flogging. Not far off granted, but not quite there yet. As a minimum we must keep him to the end of the season. There isn't much to be gained by getting rid of him before the end of May anyway. Maybe by then we will begin to see his efforts start to pay off and can build a bit of confidence in the playing style. The alternative is that we ship him out now or soon, the club goes into rudderless ship mode before we start on a brand new rebuilding program in the summer.

So, in summary, I say give him to the end of the season as a minimum but more realistically give him until christmas at least.

But I still don't like the Brentesque prick.

Guest davelfc
But everyone of us must have known that things like this would happen with such an inexperienced manager. .

This is the bit that continually angers me, for the money we spent getting him and the money he has had, we deserve better. Excusing him for being inexperienced is crazy, he's not on a training wage, he's not in a training league. You want a proven manager, if you can get it you also want one with European experience too.

They should never have taken a gamble on such an inexperienced manager, they obviously like salesmen because that's all they seem capable of wanting to employ now.

They're in for a shock if they think they can continue to milk the club once we're settled in mid table. Those nice commercial deals will dry up quicker than a match pie.

So who's next? how long does he get? If he doesn't finish 6th is he out on his arse as well?

There has to be signs of progression not regression. Honestly, are the bunch of players we have right now the 9th best in the league? I honestly think not, yet that is where we are on course to finish, without any cup finals to look forward to.

You have to earn the right to stay in the job, in any job. The way things are going then he's on very thin ice. There may be a chance yet he can get us up the table and earn another year, but at this moment we don't look likely.

You have to set objectives both long and short term. Long term it's to get into the CL consistantly and then push on. Short term it's to improve on last year. He isn't doing that and if at the end of the season we are 8th or lower then, sorry, time to go.

Both Swansea and West Brom don't have the squads, resources or funds that we had in the summer, and both clubs also had new managers coming in too, yet both are above us in the league.

I am more or less indifferent to Rodgers, but I think some of the criticism he's getting, in this thread at least, is a little harsh; I wouldn't say he's doing a good job, but I'm not convinced he's doing a particularly bad one either. Certainly, there's been evidence in the past month that had we signed Sturridge in the summer, it would be an entirely different season and the blame for August's miscommunication can't be laid at Rodgers door.

I think he's doing as well as most of us expected he would be doing on September 1st.

Both Swansea and West Brom don't have the squads, resources or funds that we had in the summer, and both clubs also had new managers coming in too, yet both are above us in the league.

Quoting a bit fubar. :whoops:

I agree, Swansea and West Brom are doing fine with new managers, and a lot less money to spend to boot.

This season is poor and Rodgers has shown nothing to prove he is the man to take us forward at all.

I'm still not calling for his head but there is some bollocks knocking about his reign so far like we are in some massive transition as if he is singlehandedly reinventing the wheel, he inherited some shite but he also inherited some serious quality and has added some of his choices with decent funds. If he can't finish higher then we currently are then serious questions need asking.

You've got to have some targets and our minimum should be above last seasons position, anything else is failure.

incredibly harsh to call him a laughing stock. He still has lots of support in the media, but we all know how fickle they are.

His transfer policy has been dire and in my mind gets no credit for Sturridge now since he passed on him in the summer. The Assiadi and Sahin situations are just bizarre, the defense has gone backwards, aside form Suarez we haven't been able to generate much playing his way.

I don't see much reason to be optimistic but I expect FSG will give him at least untill the end of next year...maybe longer he good become our David Moyes.

His transfer policy has been dire and in my mind gets no credit for Sturridge now since he passed on him in the summer. The Assiadi and Sahin situations are just bizarre, the defense has gone backwards, aside form Suarez we haven't been able to generate much playing his way.

Ironic.

Isn't that, and our subsequent League position, the exact same criticism our previous manager has been pilloried for?

Why should this one get more protection?

Inexperience?

He's not a club legend?

Or because, we simply can't be seen to be scapegoating again, 12 months later?

Talk about a rock and a hard place. Not to mention the full circle.

Ironic.

Isn't that, and our subsequent League position, the exact same criticism our previous manager has been pilloried for?

Why should this one get more protection?

Inexperience?

He's not a club legend?

Or because, we simply can't be seen to be scapegoating again, 12 months later?

Talk about a rock and a hard place. Not to mention the full circle.

Its hardly scapegoating, though, is it, Skaro, unless you're seeing something I'm not

Its hardly scapegoating, though, is it, Skaro, unless you're seeing something I'm not

Sacking managers once-a-year could be classed as scapegoating in my opinion, Champ.

Perhaps less so, if it comes with an admission you made a poor choice of manager.

However, I'll concede, unlike FSG might, that you were entitled to question my choice of words.

Sacking managers once-a-year could be classed as scapegoating in my opinion, Champ.

Perhaps less so, if it comes with an admission you made a poor choice of manager.

However, I'll concede, unlike FSG might, that you were entitled to question my choice of words.

As in the managers paying the price for the owners' lack of knowledge /experience in appointing them in the first place?

As in the managers paying the price for the owners' lack of knowledge /experience in appointing them in the first place?

It would certainly be one way of looking at a potential Rodgers exit scenario.

While I remain very unconvinced of the Rodgers appointment, his wanting the job, and being given the job, was not his fault.

And his being given the arse, if it occurred after just one season, could reasonably be seen as scapegoating for the ineptitude of his appointment, yes.

Fair enough? Or not?

People talk about the press coverage and positive media he gets and its very true. If this had been Pochettino, Benitez or Villas boas in their first season at Liverpool they would have been getting slaughtered in the press about now.

I think the owners like him though, he spouts as much pr bullshit as they do. So much bluffing going on in the club right now.

It would certainly be one way of looking at a potential Rodgers exit scenario.

While I remain very unconvinced of the Rodgers appointment, his wanting the job, and being given the job, was not his fault.

And his being given the arse, if it occurred after just one season, could reasonably be seen as scapegoating for the ineptitude of his appointment, yes.

Fair enough? Or not?

Its a difficult one. Like you said in your previous post they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. When I'm reading post that talk about we need to give him another season at least my heart sinks but what is the choice; sack him and start the whole merry go round again.

The knew they were hiring potential, how they allowed him to persuade them to remove the condition of a DoF or similar, I do not know

Its a difficult one. Like you said in your previous post they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. When I'm reading post that talk about we need to give him another season at least my heart sinks but what is the choice; sack him and start the whole merry go round again.

The knew they were hiring potential, how they allowed him to persuade them to remove the condition of a DoF or similar, I do not know

Rock and hard place indeed.

They fired the previous manager too early, simple as that I think.

And now they have to be extra careful about how they treat the next one, regardless of what he actually "deserves".

It's now also about what they are "seen" to be doing, and not just what they do.

It's self-inflicted. And borne of "out-of-depthedness".

Trouble is, it's also trifling with a precious institution. Even more than already has been.

It's more than a rock and a hard place.

It's a little bit fucked.