You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mashed Potato - Lumpy or smooth?

Simbo

How you do like your mash? Smooth or lumpy?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How you do like your mash? Smooth or lumpy?

A work colleague of mine has recently told me that smooth mashed potato makes him feel sick. He only mashes his slightly so that it is really lumpy. Freak.

Mine has to be as smooth as possible. I usually throw in LOADS of butter and a splash of milk and then get the electric whisk out. You could almost drink the stuff as it is so smooth and creamy.

Anyway, it got me wondering what the GF's take on the issue was.

Vote away!!

I had pie & mash in a very old pub in Lindon caled the Cittie of York. The mash was a bit more than crushed, it was fairly well mashed up potato but they were new potatoes and the skin was left on when they mashed them. Quite simply the best mashed potato I've ever had, and I suppose that would come under 'lumpy'.

Interesting debate. I would always go "smooth" but you do need to get the consistency, creaminess and "bite" absolutely right. Too smooth and it's grainy baby-food (like if you blended it, or added too much milk).

The "crushed potato" movement was started by some posh chefs somewhere, and has now trickled down into every bog-standard bistro and half-arsed "gastro pub" in the world, and quite frankly can go and fuck itself.

Boil the potatoes. In a seperate pot, steam some broccoli. In a seperate pot, boil some peas.

When they are all ready, put them all into the same pot and mash them, but not too much. Put a few knobs of butter in there, some salt and some pepper.

Sex.

You're doing it wrong.

Mashed potatoes are the only thing Im really good at cooking.

I put in about half a pound of butter and whip them up to a cloud-like consistency. It needs to be so smooth, fluffy and light that you can make towering sculptures that still melt instantly in your mouth. Buttery heaven. Anyone who likes them lumpy is a criminal.

A work colleague of mine has recently told me that smooth mashed potato makes him feel sick. He only mashes his slightly so that it is really lumpy. Freak.

Mine has to be as smooth as possible. I usually throw in LOADS of butter and a splash of milk and then get the electric whisk out. You could almost drink the stuff as it is so smooth and creamy.

Anyway, it got me wondering what the GF's take on the issue was.

Vote away!!

That's a bit too much but I do like it quite soft and creamy.

I Do my mash with oil cream and butter.

Simon do you ever add extra stuff to it? I usually add garlic, herbs or Philadelphia spread in to it, as well as the butter and milk.

Guest simon
That's a bit too much but I do like it quite soft and creamy.

Simon do you ever add extra stuff to it? I usually add garlic, herbs or Philadelphia spread in to it, as well as the butter and milk.

Good potatoes speak for themselves mate. Get some nice Deserie on the go bit of salt your laughing. I like to add cheese or horse radish sauce to my mash. But they dont need much really like i said good Potatoes are all you need. Boil them Mash them then transfer to a pan of little olive oil. mix in then add butter work that in then add your cream i like them very smooth almost runny. I also love a fair bit of salt.

Gruyere cheese i like to use.