You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can I be optimistic after that?

WrongIslander

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hodgson has been appointed,because he was the best and most likely to get us a top seven finnish.

If he was younger I would be surprised if he would of took the job.I would be amazed if he was kept on once/if new owners are found.

Under the circumstance of the shite going on at the club,He is the obvious candidate imo to keep us in the top half of the table come the end of season.

Kenny was to much of a risk as manager,I not saying he would do better or worse than Roy,I just think Roy is less of a risk at getting us a Euro place come end of season.

Even with the class of players we have here,the stuff going on at the club is affecting the players as well as the fans.Teams like Birmingham etc dont fear us infact they believe they can beat us now.

I dont know how to take Roy coming out and saying,about the need for the owners to go before we can challenge again,He is only saying what we all know,but its also saying tp the squad that they arnt good enough.

Things might of been different if we had beat Arsenal,but I think that might of made fans think we have a chance to challenge this season.

I guess we just need to support Roy and hope and pray the ownership is sorted out amd a better manager installed,but till then get behind the guy as he at least had the bottle to take us on.

Those home performances from last season against Debrecen, Lyon, Fiorentina, Arsenal, Wigan, Reading, Fulham and Chelsea must be a figment of my imagination then Nick.

The same Arsenal game where we dominated until an own goal that rattled us?

The same Lyon performance where we also dominated until we got undone by some sloppy defending at the end?

Chelsea and Fiorentina were meaningless games, nothing to play for.

Fulham? Are you being fucking serious? We attacked for 90 minutes and they had 10 men behind the ball!?

You're a fucking joker mate to say the least.

Those home performances from last season against Debrecen, Lyon, Fiorentina, Arsenal, Wigan, Reading, Fulham and Chelsea must be a figment of my imagination then Nick.

Nowhere near as dire as the games so far this season and my point is please tell me when we played shite like this for 4 consequitive league games

The same Arsenal game where we dominated until an own goal that rattled us?

The same Lyon performance where we also dominated until we got undone by some sloppy defending at the end?

Chelsea and Fiorentina were meaningless games, nothing to play for.

Fulham? Are you being fucking serious? We attacked for 90 minutes and they had 10 men behind the ball!?

You're a fucking joker mate to say the least.

We played well first half against Arsenal then resorted to hoofball 2nd half.

We didn't ''dominate'' the Lyon game, they gave as good as they got.

Try telling the people who spent the best part of 40 quid a ticket that they were meaningless games.

If you think we attacked for 90 minutes v Fulham then you are fucking deluded. We had no brains or urgency to break them down.

Wigan outplayed us even though we beat them. Reading outplayed us as well. Notice you don't mention the Debrecen game, Unirea etc.

Nowhere near as dire as the games so far this season and my point is please tell me when we played shite like this for 4 consequitive league games

Saturday 05 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Blackburn 0 Liverpool FC 0

Sunday 13 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Liverpool FC 1 Arsenal 2

Wednesday 16 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Liverpool FC 2 Wigan 1

Saturday 19 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Portsmouth 2 Liverpool FC 0

We had one good half in those games, ironically v Arsenal like we have had this season.

I would add Wolverhampton and perhaps Wigan, when won thanks to workmanlike performances, ironically far worse then the ones from previous year, when we had 30 attempts on goal at times. But as they took place near the end of the first half of the season, we were a threat no more and even relegation battlers wanted to take their chances without parking the bus.

Anyway, saying we played same rubbish last year, even though most of our displays last year was a pure embodiment of the word "antifootball", is way off the mark. Lucas-Mascherano partnership was our stumbling block throughout all the season as they featured even in away games against Wolves, Blackburn or West Ham. Still, at home they figured only against upper half of the table. From Chelsea to Birmingham. Our centre midfield against other teams was as follows:

Blackburn - Lucas-Gerrard, 4-4-2

Bolton - Mascherano-Aquilani-Gerrard

Stoke - exception, fielded Lucas-Mascherano-Gerrard, but won 4-0, so doesn't matter

Fulham - Mascherano-Gerrard-Aquilani

Burnley - Lucas-Gerrard, 4-4-2

Hull - Lucas - Gerrard, 4-4-2

Wolves - Lucas-Aquilani-Gerrard

Sunderland - Mascherano-Gerrard, 4-4-2

West Ham - Lucas-Gerrard, 4-4-2

Portsmouth - Mascherano-Aquilani-Gerrard

Wigan - Mascherano-Gerrard, 4-4-2

Against 11 mid-table or relegation-fodders Rafa played one holding midfielder with two attacking-minded playmakers or playmaker and Gerrard as a shadow striker or simple 4-4-2 with two strikers up front. The only exception was Stoke at home, when we still comfortably outplayed them. What worries me is Roy playing 2 sweepers protecting back four against team bound to battle for Premier League stay until final days of the season, the one Chelsea has beaten 6-0 only two weeks earlier. If we exclude Stoke, Bolton, Blackburn, Sunderland and Fulham as they're more midtable team we can see we didn't play two anchormen against any relegation fodder at home in one single cunting time. What's more, if we include Trabzonspor line-up with two anchormen and compare it with line-up against Debrecen, with Gerrard-Lucas duo in the middle, Roy is MORE CAUTIOUS THAN RAFA. And that's not easy.

In addition, Birmingham might be a fortress and none of top four has won there last season and they have a great unbeaten run of 17 at St.Andrews, really impressive. We hold a record with Aston Villa and West Ham pair for 7 consecutive draws in the Premier League, haven't won there since May 2004. True, but as far as I remember Rafa played 4-4-2 with Lucas and Gerrard in the middle and off the top of my head I remember 3 times more goalscoring occassions than on Sunday, so once again, ROY IS MORE CAUTIOUS THAN RAFA. And that's not easy by any means.

I don't want to even mention City game, where ironically Roy started to attacking-minded line-up with two up front, instead of swaping line-ups with the ones against Brum and West Bromwich Albion. And playing 11 against 11 that was our highest defeat in the league since losing to Arsenal in 2006. What's more, ball possession we had was also the worst since that memorable game, when at least we had two disallowed goals, so must have entered their half of the pitch at certain moment.

I don't hate Roy, even like him and personally could be a smashing fella, would go for a bevy rather with him, not with l Mr. Benitez. I fully support him and want to excel here. He can be my new Paisley, if he's our Arsene Wenger I also won't mind. I don't want him sacked or bullied by our own fans, but feel obliged to critisize some of his decisions. Remember many expecting us to play high tempo passing game and play a bit less dull football than last year and many times in Rafa reign, not to mention Houllier. If we include Trabzonspor game at home, in 3 out of 6 Roy played MORE DEFENSIVELY THAN RAFA did in the same or similar clashes last season. Arsenal game was ok for me and was even impressed with Roy playing Gerrard and Cole at the same time, but underwhelmed with total lack of pressing. City was a big failure for Roy as a tactician, outwitted by Italian celebrity coach with little tactical ability. And Mascherano absence, regardless why, is not an excuse. Poulsen was on the bench and could easily play then, he has a lot of experience and was physically ready.

To sum up, in 3 out of 6 games we played more defensively than under former manager who merited a reputation for being over-cautious. In 1 out of 6 we were hammered to unseen extent for last 4 years and that was due to a massive tactical incompetence. I'm sure Rafa would play two defensive midfielders in this game, pressing high with a very few shots on target, if any. But he would never make such a suicidal tactical decision, he is smart enough to outwitt and nullify Mancini. So in 4 out of 6 games we played worse than in the same games under former manager, who was a big failure last season. I hope Roy doesn't follow his path, but so far it seems even worse.

We played well first half against Arsenal then resorted to hoofball 2nd half.

We were very low on confidence and got rattled by an own goal. We still dominated Arsenal for a good 50 minutes. This year we got battered by them from the first whistle to the last.

We didn't ''dominate'' the Lyon game, they gave as good as they got.

We controlled significant portions of it. Lost only due to some defensive errors. It's not like getting bossed by WBA at home now is it?

Try telling the people who spent the best part of 40 quid a ticket that they were meaningless games.

I will do, they were meaningless. We had nothing to gain or lose no matter what the outcome. Football is entertainment though, and football they saw.

If you think we attacked for 90 minutes v Fulham then you are fucking deluded. We had no brains or urgency to break them down.

That's how Rafa's teams play. Slow build up, possession based. Fuck off I'm deluded, I was in the Kop for that game, you probably weren't. Sorry if we didn't smash it 50 yards up the pitch every time we had the ball. We attacked and attacked, Schwarzer was in great form that day, there was no way we were getting past that Fulham defence. They had nothing in the way of an attack.

Look at Arsenal against Bolton, how many passes leading up to Vela's goal?

Be assured, we controlled that game and were the only team looking for a goal.

Wigan outplayed us even though we beat them. Reading outplayed us as well. Notice you don't mention the Debrecen game, Unirea etc.

Wigan are easily a superior side to WBA. Reading was atrocious, but we had a battered, exhausted squad by that point after a heavily congested Christmas period. This team is fresh.

People are asking themselves why is our squad better than last year, yet we're actually worse?

We were very low on confidence and got rattled by an own goal. We still dominated Arsenal for a good 50 minutes. This year we got battered by them from the first whistle to the last.

We controlled significant portions of it. Lost only due to some defensive errors. It's not like getting bossed by WBA at home now is it?

I will do, they were meaningless. We had nothing to gain or lose no matter what the outcome. Football is entertainment though, and football they saw.

That's how Rafa's teams play. Slow build up, possession based. Fuck off I'm deluded, I was in the Kop for that game, you probably weren't. Sorry if we didn't smash it 50 yards up the pitch every time we had the ball. We attacked and attacked, Schwarzer was in great form that day, there was no way we were getting past that Fulham defence. They had nothing in the way of an attack.

Look at Arsenal against Bolton, how many passes leading up to Vela's goal?

Be assured, we controlled that game and were the only team looking for a goal.

Wigan are easily a superior side to WBA. Reading was atrocious, but we had a battered, exhausted squad by that point after a heavily congested Christmas period. This team is fresh.

People are asking themselves why is our squad better than last year, yet we're actually worse?

I was in the Paddock for the Fulham game unless you are implying I don't go the games or something there are you?

We had a battered hahahahaha, exhausted hahahahaha squad. That couldn't compete against a Championship side over 180 minutes and they outplayed us twice.

Arsenal did not batter us this season. We were the better side with ten men. I was in the Paddock again before you ask.

I coudn't care less how many times Arsenal passed the ball for their 4th goal v Bolton against a team who were on the end of a diabolical refereeing decision when their best defender had been sent off and their heads went down.

We were bossed twice by Wigan, a team last season that conceded 9 and 8 against Chelsea and Spurs.

We did have some good moments last season like the 6 v Hull, 4 v Stoke, 4 v Burnley, the United win but they were few and far between.

I was in the Paddock for the Fulham game unless you are implying I don't go the games or something there are you?

We had a battered hahahahaha, exhausted hahahahaha squad. That couldn't compete against a Championship side over 180 minutes and they outplayed us twice.

Arsenal did not batter us this season. We were the better side with ten men. I was in the Paddock again before you ask.

I coudn't care less how many times Arsenal passed the ball for their 4th goal v Bolton against a team who were on the end of a diabolical refereeing decision when their best defender had been sent off and their heads went down.

We were bossed twice by Wigan, a team last season that conceded 9 and 8 against Chelsea and Spurs.

We did have some good moments last season like the 6 v Hull, 4 v Stoke, 4 v Burnley, the United win but they were few and far between.

He's gone, get over it.

If you were in the Paddock for the Fulham game, then you really cocked up using it as an example. Any idiot can tell you we bossed that game from start to finish, but they were incredibly hard to break down in the box credit to them, and Schwarzer pulled off some great saves.

You don't see how the congested Christmas fixture list and early injuries to Gerrard and Torres could at all affect our performance? Contrast that to today, where we're a month into the season?

Arsenal did batter us, we got thoroughly outplayed and forced into our box required a couple of outstanding saves by Reina as well. Better men? Have a laugh, they bossed us. We didn't deserve a draw.

I'm not surprised you couldn't care less about how many times Arsenal passed the ball about before scoring. It proves your initial comment was misinformed and off the mark, therefore it follows that you would try to ignore it.

Wigan also beat Chelsea and Arsenal in that season you speak of.

Yes we did have good moments last season, so far we haven't one good moment this season. I'd rather a few than what we've seen thus far. And don't tell it's going to get much better, worn out cliche. The problems are there for us to see.

If you were in the Paddock for the Fulham game, then you really cocked up using it as an example. Any idiot can tell you we bossed that game from start to finish, but they were incredibly hard to break down in the box credit to them, and Schwarzer pulled off some great saves.

You don't see how the congested Christmas fixture list and early injuries to Gerrard and Torres could at all affect our performance? Contrast that to today, where we're a month into the season?

Arsenal did batter us, we got thoroughly outplayed and forced into our box required a couple of outstanding saves by Reina as well. Better men? Have a laugh, they bossed us. We didn't deserve a draw.

I'm not surprised you couldn't care less about how many times Arsenal passed the ball about before scoring. It proves your initial comment was misinformed and off the mark, therefore it follows that you would try to ignore it.

Wigan also beat Chelsea and Arsenal in that season you speak of.

Yes we did have good moments last season, so far we haven't one good moment this season. I'd rather a few than what we've seen thus far. And don't tell it's going to get much better, worn out cliche. The problems are there for us to see.

We were shite against Fulham. You use the excuse about squad being at breaking point for our loss to Reading, maybe Fulham a much smaller club with less resources had the same issue to contend with as they had played in Germany on the Thursday night in their Europa run. It goes both ways. To be honest I came out of the ground thinking apart from a few moments they didn't have to break sweat to get a point.

Wigan did beat Chelsea. Bad day at the office for Chelsea as they won the title didn't they. It wasn't in isolation for us exactly was it? Arsenal also finished way above us in the end as well.

I don't think a congested fixture list should matter playing a lower half at the time Championship side personally but there you go. Maybe once you can accept it but they outplayed us over 210 minutes and were unlucky to win in the first game.

You not willing to accept our failings from last season is more or less the same thing you are accusing me of. One major difference though. Roy has had four games. F - O - U - R.