You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benfica (A)

sir roger

Guest Pistonbroke
Turns out Luisao was booked twice but not sent off. Surely he'll be out of the Anfield game, then?

dobbeltgultkort_796436p.jpg

The referee was just confirming that he had booked him apparently. Strange one though, unless he totally booked him twice and then realised he was booking the same player and copped out of it with the confirming bit.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were these from different angles at the same time? Or what?

From What I gather the player was booked, kept on arguing and then the ref pulled out the yellow card again to reinforce the fact that the player had been booked. He didn't actually book the player twice, just made sure the player knew he was booked.

That's the tied in a bow explanation, the fact is if a referee pulls out a card twice he better be sure he's sending someone off. As it stands the referee is open to scrutiny and should have to explain himself. At best he's going to look like a fool, the other side of the coin is that he's a bottler.

Regardless the whole episode was ridiculous and if one player went, both should of gone.

Guest Pistonbroke
Not in the slightest. The lad has looked out of his depth at times, and if he isn't good enough the manager shouldn't play him. But, on a human level, he could have done with his captain's support.

All the rats on here are there with their sly digs, on his every mistake - but it's not his fault the manager has sold 5 left backs and not replaced them properly.

It would have improved my opinion of Gerrard as a captain; it's not all about last minute goals.

Sly digs ? If a player isn't performing then we form an opinion of him. Just like you have all night on the Gerrard incident and the way you slag Gerrard off. Pretty ironic isn't it ?

Insua is our weakest link and has been for some time. The lad is playing far too much as we have no other options at left back. But the lad is just a shite defender. His positional play is schoolboy standard and he follows the ball far too much instead of picking his man up. For his age he is far too slow to play in a position that pits you against speedy wingers.

Has there ever been a competent Swedish official? They get their experience playing in a summer league in front of seven people and a reindeer and then are expected to be able to handle games like tonight, they should all be fucked off to the arctic circle league.

Sly digs ? If a player isn't performing then we form an opinion of him. Just like you have all night on the Gerrard incident and the way you slag Gerrard off. Pretty ironic isn't it ?

Insua is our weakest link and has been for some time. The lad is playing far too much as we have no other options at left back. But the lad is just a shite defender. His positional play is schoolboy standard and he follows the ball far too much instead of picking his man up. For his age he is far too slow to play in a position that pits you against speedy wingers.

My points tonight:

-Gerrard is one of the most compulsive divers in the league (not slagging hiim off, but which ever way you look at it: a fact)

-Insua is not good enough, but Rafa's lack of foresight in selling/buying left backs has led to him playing too many games and has exposed him to ferocious criticism (to a lesser extent, Carra got this when he was left back - probably from the same fans)

- Gerrard lacks certain elements of leadership where being a captain is concerned ()

Not in the slightest. The lad has looked out of his depth at times, and if he isn't good enough the manager shouldn't play him. But, on a human level, he could have done with his captain's support.

All the rats on here are there with their sly digs, on his every mistake - but it's not his fault the manager has sold 5 left backs and not replaced them properly.

It would have improved my opinion of Gerrard as a captain; it's not all about last minute goals.

But you don't know that Gerrard and /or Carra didn't say anything to him do you. You weren't at the game and thus only saw what was relayed by the TV so you are just making an assumption based on what is an apparent dislike of Gerrard given the comments in your previous posts.

Fucking hell that was an eventful game wasn't it? I thought we started well and the goal was really good; excellent ball from Gerrard and great finish from Agger.

We looked dangerous on the break although they created loads of chances even when it was 11 v 11.

The sending off was a fucking joke; yes Babel was stupid to raise his hand, but come on! How can that be deemed as aggressive compared to a player absolutely flying through the back of an opponent with studs, and only getting a yellow? The rules in football are fucking crazy and totally driven by fat cunts in suits who have never played the game. I'd love to be locked up in a room right now with Blatter, the fucking nobhead (Swedish too).

The penalties, in all fairness were stone-wall, so although we can feel hard done by with refereeing decisions, those two particular ones we can't.

I'm looking forward to next week because i'm fucking right up for this second leg, because those diving cunts have what's coming to them, not only after tonight, but also for 2006. Twats (good team though).

In terms of personal performances, it's not easy to judge based on the circumstances, but Gerrard was poor (apart from creating another goal) as was Lucas. Insua though, was laughably bad. There's no way he's Liverpool quality, and it's clear that we need to look at buying a left back in the summer.

Some other, random observations:

a) Torres dives a lot.

b) Our passing is too slow.

c) Their left winger is boss; I remember saying he looked good on here in an Argentina match thread during WC qualifying, and some were saying he's shite!

d) Torres missed that chance because he was fucked.

e) Kuyt was offside for the disallowed goal.

f) Although we may feel a bit hard done by tonight, we were extremely lucky that they missed so many chances, otherwise we'd be out already.

g) Tonight was our 17th defeat of the season; unbelievable.

My points tonight:

-Gerrard is one of the most compulsive divers in the league (not slagging hiim off, but which ever way you look at it: a fact)-Insua is not good enough, but Rafa's lack of foresight in selling/buying left backs has led to him playing too many games and has exposed him to ferocious criticism (to a lesser extent, Carra got this when he was left back - probably from the same fans)

- Gerrard lacks certain elements of leadership where being a captain is concerned ()

Nope, that's your opinion just like mine is that he dives from time to time but there are far worse in the Prem.

Guest Pistonbroke
Insua being out could be a blessing in disguise, the lad looks shot.

Who will play there though, Carragher, Agger, Johnson ?

I'd play Agger there, or three at the back and use Johnson and dare i say Riera as wing backs. I can see Benfica trying to sit on their lead and use one up front and try to get us on the break.

c) Their left winger is boss; I remember saying he looked good on here in an Argentina match thread during WC qualifying, and some were saying he's shite!

Aye, I remember that conversation. That was the first time I saw him and thought he was pretty decent and fucking quick.

I remember some saying his pace is his only asset and nothing else. I think he has improved a lot this season at Benfica.

Brownie - I remember taloimng to you about Di Maria. I said he raw's but the talent potential, is there. He very like Robben in the fact he 's direct, he 's a perfect player for a 4-5-1 formation. Shame he'll cost upwards of £30m now. Just like Utd will have problems with Ribery and Robben, so will we in the home leg with Di Maria.

That ref was a joke. A proper proper joke.

Babel was unlucky to go but you raise your hands in europe its no suprise.

Insua is not top quality nor will he ever be in my opinion.

I'd of taken 1-1, 2-1 after being down to 10 was brilliant under the circumstances as they are a fucking good team.

They'll get theres next week, roll on!

Guest Pistonbroke
My points tonight:

-Gerrard is one of the most compulsive divers in the league (not slagging hiim off, but which ever way you look at it: a fact)

-Insua is not good enough, but Rafa's lack of foresight in selling/buying left backs has led to him playing too many games and has exposed him to ferocious criticism (to a lesser extent, Carra got this when he was left back - probably from the same fans)

He dives like all players do, but he isn't one of the most compulsive. Just a fact in your twisted thinking.

So others have digs but you have points/opinions. Ok. WUM.

That ref was a joke. A proper proper joke.

Babel was unlucky to go but you raise your hands in europe its no suprise.

Insua is not top quality nor will he ever be in my opinion.

I'd of taken 1-1, 2-1 after being down to 10 was brilliant under the circumstances as they are a fucking good team.

They'll get theres next week, roll on!

I thought it was non-contact in europe too till I saw the kung-fu kicks flying in and the beating Torres took.

That referee ruined what could've been a classic. It had everything until Babel got sent off for something that frankly should have been a yellow for both him and Luisao the big girls blouse. That is why he'll never ever be a starting centreback for Brazil. They don't have to commit to challenges like he did on Torres just before that incident. A quality centre half can make a tackle whilst staying on his feet. Anyway regardless of that useless ref we held our own and would probably have got away with all 3 points if it wasn't for that absolutely shocking decision. Why this is turning into a pro/anti Rafa slagging match is beyond me. We'll do these at Anfield. Have some fucking faith.

Guest Pistonbroke
I thought it was non-contact in europe too till I saw the kung-fu kicks flying in and the beating Torres took.

Yep, forgot about that lads tackle on Babel early on and he didn't even get a free kick for it. His foot must of been like 5 foot off the sodding ground. I reckon the ref set his stall out with that decision from the off. He was shite for both teams but i reckon we were given the rougher deal.

Would rep, but have to spread it. But well said. Far too easy to single out one or two, when, as a team tonight, we were absolutely woeful. All there things we done right, as a team, against Sunderland, predictably went out the window.

Instead Rafa employed that tactical master-stroke of defending deep and hoping for Torres to pull a rabbit from his arse.

Tempo, movement, commitment, pressing. All absent. And no excuse for it. People like to use the fact it was an away game? No sorry, a pitch is a fucking pitch.