You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benfica (A)

sir roger

The only thing worse than the Benfica players and the referee last night were their fans. The arrogant fucks throwing fireworks after Reina and the official who had just given them the second penalty. Classy. Especially after the way their players were appauded off Anfield in 2006.

I was praying for the referee to just call off the match after the second fireworks incident as it would be poetic justice to see them lose the game on paper afterwards. Cunts.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll dive and kick and shove next Thursday, and look for goals on the break as they did when they did us a couple of seasons back.

I don't know who we are going to put at left back, but as some have already said, I think Agger is our best bet there, plus it'll give him the chance to get forwards more and that surely can't be a bad thing.

They are a dangerous side from a footballing perspective, but if we get a goal it might just flatten them, I only hope it doesn't then result in us sitting on the away goal waiting for them to open up to a goal on the break from us.

We need to hit them hard from the off and we also need a ref who is competent and doesn't allow the shit they are surely going to try.

Having read through the thread it's sad to see the digs at Insua. Have a fucking word with yourselves.

Yeah, it's really lucky he's out of the return leg. Jesus wept.

I know he's still young and learning his trade but that was the worst performance of a LB since.............Adam shagged Eve.

It was 1 mistake after another.Gotta get back to basics.....and defend first,clear your lines.

Still think he will come good tho.

Argentinian international you know.......Maradona cant be wrong:whistle:

Is there any chance of Aurelio being fit for the second leg? It'll be Carra at right back and Johnson on the left otherwise.

I know he's still young and learning his trade but that was the worst performance of a LB since.............Adam shagged Eve.

It was 1 mistake after another.Gotta get back to basics.....and defend first,clear your lines.

Still think he will come good.

Argentinian international you know.......Maradona cant be wrong:whistle:

Watch the match again and see how helpful his team mates were, I'm not saying he didn't play badly, just that those arround him need their arses kicked as well.

So much to say! First off, that was an even contest until the red card, even though Benfica had the lion's share of possession as expected. After Babel was sent off, we ended up sitting back and inviting pressure, and were a little fortunate that Benfica kept wasting half-decent openings.

Torres was offered little support against 2 Brazilians defenders intent on kicking him all over the park. Luisao should have seen red for his hack from behind, or at least a second yellow for his involvement with Babel.

Benfica will get a slap on the wrist for their fans behaviour. Had it happened with Liverpool fans, you would have had Platini and UEFA calling for a ban. Double standards indeed.

On to the referee Jonas Eriksson. What a shambolic display of utter ineptitude from pretty much the first whistle. He was over-reliant on the touchline officials because he seemed to see very little himself. As I said before, Luisao should have been off the field. Indeed I first thought he was, given the way events were transmitted on the TV. The replay did not make it any clearer, especially as the ref confused everybody in the manner he showed his cards, not waving the card clearly at the offender in question.

This meant he struggled to control the situation, and he indirectly began to infuriate the Benfica fans to the point they started throwing firecrackers at the touchline official on that side. Indeed it looked as though he was hit by shrapnel from the exploding firework. Daniel Agger was so vexed it appeared he wanted to shove a lit firecracker up the ref's arse.

At least the ref can go home and count his supposed millions.

I just dont see how a player as small and as slow as Insua could ever make it as a top level full back. Last night was pretty much representative of his performances this season. He gets skinned far too easily and far too often. I think a new left back is a priority. At least they dont tend to cost ridiculous amounts.

Watch the match again and see how helpful his team mates were, I'm not saying he didn't play badly, just that those arround him need their arses kicked as well.

And they did at half time, I think. Because the situation improved in the 2nd half. They still managed to isolate Insua a couple of times, but Javier put in a real shift to track some of the runs that were made past Insua.

For some reason they were really eager to challenge Johnson on pace after the break, which struck me as odd.

Is there any chance of Aurelio being fit for the second leg? It'll be Carra at right back and Johnson on the left otherwise.

3 WORDS...........CLEAR YOUR LINES

2 WORDS............ROW Z

EERR... LOTS OF WORDS.......BABEL CANT DEFEND FOR SHIT EITHER

I was quite confident we would do these at Anfield until I read this:

"We have to move forward, prepare for the game and score the goal we need."

1-1 at Anfield then, but we will control the game for a good 73 minutes before they score.

Er, we do need a goal. He isn't saying we're only after one. he's just pointing out that we need a goal because we're a goal behind. Jesus.

Er, we do need a goal. He isn't saying we're only after one. he's just pointing out that we need a goal because we're a goal behind. Jesus.

I personally think we will need three because I can't see them not scoring. What I don't want is to see us set up for a one nil. Maybe I'm reading too much into what our manager says though. Don't have any quotes from Jesus.

I personally think we will need three because I can't see them not scoring. What I don't want is to see us set up for a one nil. Maybe I'm reading too much into what our manager says though. Don't have any quotes from Jesus.

Yes, you're reading too much into it. But that's just par for the course round here these days.