You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benfica (A)

sir roger

Me too.

Agger's didn't go in off his arse did it?

Never scored a goal with my arse in my life. Scored a few with my face, never my arse though.

Ted, John, Woo, Lance .... someone back me up here. That Agger goal was my trademark goal.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a team i thought we played poor with possibly only Kuyt playing to his capabilities with everyone else shite.

Insua was poor last night and its not his lack of pace that is the problem but his positional sense where he always seems to be wanting to play centre half and therefore leaving a huge gap on the left.

On the other side Johnson was unable to get forward much due to their wingers.

Gerrard was shite again and whilst Insua was for me the worst player on the pitch its Gerrard's performance that was the most annoying.

There are rumours of off the field problems and this would explain Gerrard's performance on the pitch as this season he has been largely woeful.

As regards the left back position Warnock wanted to leave because he wanted first team football, Traore, Riise, Dossena were all sold due to them been shite and in the case of Dossena wanted first team football.

Dossena being sold also helped us offer new contracts to Reina and Mascherano.

Insua is not shite but should not be in the first team yet but purely as back up.

Can you elaborate on that la?

Never scored a goal with my arse in my life. Scored a few with my face, never my arse though.

Ted, John, Woo, Lance .... someone back me up here. That Agger goal was my trademark goal.

You've never scored a goal of that calibre in the 2 years I have been playing.

I don't think we played well and, in truth, the result greatly flattered us. They created 4, possibly 5, clear opportunites that you imagine they'd usually score from. I thought we didn't track midfield runners at all - not a surprise, we often don't - nor did we cover well enough when one man( I think we all know I mean Insua) got beaten. I also didn't think there was enough pressure high up the field; Garcia, who was starting most, if not all, their attacks should have been targetted by Gerrard. Think that we also missed a trick by not going 3 at the back when Babel walked. The Greek would have handled Cardoza which, in turn, would allow Agger to cover Insua; it would also have allowed for Johnson to bomb forward.

Our mistakes aside, Benfica are the best team we've played all season. They are a very good side and I would take that David Luiz if, as some think we should be, we're after a towering mobile CB. Have a job on our hands as they'll be dangerous on the counter and set-pieces at Anfield. As everyone has said, the ref was shocking. It really comes to something when Carragher is physically restraining Agger from shouting at him. Some of our conduct was truly appaling, it needs to be said.

You've never scored a goal of that calibre in the 2 years I have been playing.

That's because you only play about once a month. And who asked you anyway, I asked John, Ted, Woo, Lance.... the regulars (before Lance's retirement obviously).

You're obviously still upset about the Kromkamp comparison.

I want to see our players having a go when they having to put up with refereeing like that. Surely our quietness in these situations have been a major fault for ages now?

Also on Gerrard, he's just not put a run of good games together this year. I'd say it's more of a physical problem than in his head. He just doesn't look as powerful and as quick as he's been for the rest of his career. Against the mancs he made no ground in a race against Rooney (who had the ball at his feet) - I remember a few years ago in a derby in a similar situation he made up about 8-10 yards easily on him. Only one instance but it's stuck in my head.

I want to see our players having a go when they having to put up with refereeing like that. Surely our quietness in these situations have been a major fault for ages now?

Also on Gerrard, he's just not put a run of good games together this year. I'd say it's more of a physical problem than in his head. He just doesn't look as powerful and as quick as he's been for the rest of his career. Against the mancs he made no ground in a race against Rooney (who had the ball at his feet) - I remember a few years ago in a derby in a similar situation he made up about 8-10 yards easily on him. Only one instance but it's stuck in my head.

That was when Rooney was fat, before the mancs got him on Ronaldo's roids.

That was when Rooney was fat, before the mancs got him on Ronaldo's roids.

I say we get Gerrard on them then. He's certainly losing the energy out of his game - becoming more and more like the Beckham of recent years, still capable of putting in top quality passes but spends too much time on the periphery.

Er, we do need a goal. He isn't saying we're only after one. he's just pointing out that we need a goal because we're a goal behind. Jesus.

I agree. I think that the game needs an early Liverpool goal as it changes the tie completely and means they have to score. I'd expect a start like Juve 05, Real last year, Sunderland last week etc. Ye know the ones that Rafa's teams have in their locker but unfortunately we dont see enough of. (Not a dig, I'd hope that is something we all agree on).