You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

sir roger

I'd sooner win the Premiership than the Championship.

If we were in the Championship, I'd want us to win it to get back into the Premiership. If we get a bit of dosh for winning the Europa Cup, then go for it.

Is there any sort of decent money for winning it? Apparently we budget for getting to the quarter final of the Champions League every season, so surely winning the Europa League would cover those funds if not exceed it, no?

I think Valencia with Villa, Mata & Silva would beat us easily in our current form. When is the first match?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any sort of decent money for winning it? Apparently we budget for getting to the quarter final of the Champions League every season, so surely winning the Europa League would cover those funds if not exceed it, no?

I think Valencia with Villa, Mata & Silva would beat us easily in our current form. When is the first match?

First match is end of Feb. If we are still in this form then, then we'll have a lot more then the Europa League to worry about. If the injuries clear up then I would expect us to be back in form and cooking.

I have done a bit of research in the last few minutes.

CL Prize Money:

€3 million to each team that qualifies for the UEFA Champions League

€2.4 million for participating in the Group stage.

€600,000 for a Group stage win

€300,000 for a group stage draw

€2.5 million for quarter final

€3 million for each semi-finalist

€4 million for the runners-up

€7 million for the winners

Europa League Prize Money

€200,000 for a place a place in the last 32 .

€300,000 if you reach the last 16

€400,000 if you reach quarter final

€700,000 if you reach semi final.

€2M for runner-up

€3M for Winner

Also the draw for Last 32 and Last 16 are made on the 18th December.

First match 18th february 2010.

This season is quickly turning into a complete nightmare. The Europa League is a dick of a competition and to have even a half chance of finishing fourth we dont need this shit cup to get in the way. Thursday night football away in god knows where, back late friday to get prepared for a big weekend match. No thanks. Cant believe anyone would argue different.

Why are people talking about actually winning it? Unless there's a dramatic change in form we'll struggle against any of those teams left in it.

There's no heart or desire to win trophies, that much is certain, which also applies to the manager's disciples who prefer to belittle others on the internet regardless of the damage that's being done to the club.

Only thing is most TV companies will be falling over themselves to get our matches live, so that may increase our revenue than the likes of Villa and Everton.

That's a vg point.

The CL is centrally negotiated but i think you are right & the Europa is individually.

Not sure but it would certainly help if it was (& incentize the club to take it seriously)

I'm actually kind of excited for the Europa League, to be honest. It'll be some different clubs than the normal (ie - Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea.)

That's actually a good point as well, Lance. Those far flung destinations are always fairly interesting, mainly for the fans who travel over there.

It will be depressing when we first play in it, but hopefully after a win my attitude will change a bit.

We have until February for that though, right now I just hope we can start picking up some points in the league.

Please lads stop with all the it's not so bad, looking forward to it, fucking kinda excited bout it. Lets be honest, refer to the UEFA Cup/Comedy Thursdays for peoples real views on it. Its fucking embarrassing the position we find ourselves in. Both on and of the field. Hard times ahead.

im not looking forward to this listen to carragher you would think it,s great although if we can make some cash well in good but for fuck sake what a load of bollox.

So it's all about making money for you is it?

To be honest I am more interested on the finances of this competition and if success comes with it, then great, fantastic. We Budget on getting to the Quarter Final of the CL - which brings in around €12M - so the best thing to do is try and get as close to that through the Europa League from February on. If we reach the semis of the Europa League which I am sure is the bare minimum we will bring in around €9M-9.5M and then add €2M if we get a place in the final and add a further €1M if we win it. So to keep within budget we need to win this thing.

Please lads stop with all the it's not so bad, looking forward to it, fucking kinda excited bout it. Lets be honest, refer to the UEFA Cup/Comedy Thursdays for peoples real views on it. Its fucking embarrassing the position we find ourselves in. Both on and of the field. Hard times ahead.

Ok. We get it. You don;t want to be in the competition. You don't need to write it every second post.

Dortmund in 2001 was brilliant and I'd love to be back in Germany at another UEFA Cup final next May. Bring it on. I hope we play our best 11 and win this thing.

We'll probably be docked 15 poiints for going into administation this season anyway, so 4th is probably going to be very difficuly anyway.