You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

sir roger

Going all the way in the Europa league will just about compensate, financially, for missing out on the knock out round of the CL. We have already budgeted for reaching the knock out round so I think we will have to take the Europa league seriously.

I would want us to take it seriously regardless but the money aspect will mean we will have to.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't bear thinking about. We wouldn't hear the end of it. Hopefully they will get tonked well before then.

By who though, Mark? We're on our way out, Chelsea and Arsenal can't be trusted and frankly, who really wants to see them do well, Barca are under-peforming, the Italian teams are still shit and Real are Jekyll and Hyde. It's a shite state of affairs.

By who though, Mark? We're on our way out, Chelsea and Arsenal can't be trusted and frankly, who really wants to see them do well, Barca are under-peforming, the Italian teams are still shit and Real are Jekyll and Hyde. It's a shite state of affairs.

I think Real knocking them out would be hilarious. You know people would be blabbing about United losing Ronaldo constantly for a while after that. Shitty kecks' head would explode.

You have fucking ruined my day now

:whistle:

Seriously though, I was thinking who could beat them and they would have a good run at it this year. That is why I said 'hopefully'. As a few posters have pointed out, I would celebrate a Ronaldo hat-trick against them, it would be fucking boss especially if he gets one of their lot sent off or dives to win a pen.

To cheer myself up I'm considering that at least Everton are tipped to lose again to Benfica tonight by this football blogger on Europa League betting. Up until an unlucky defeat at the weekend, Benfica have won their previous 6 league games, scoring 28 goals in the process. And of course they took Everton apart a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully we'll have an exhibition of the brighter side of the Europa league tonight.

I couldn't care less about the UEFA cup, but we might need to advance through a couple of rounds to ensure we remain in the top pot of seeds and keep our coefficient ranking towards the top.

Even if we lost every game in europe we have left this season then we should just keep our place in the top 8 teams. But looking ahead it wouldn't be helpful to have a bad year counting towards our points.

I'm on the auto-ticket scheme, so would the club just carry on taking the money ala the CL games or would you have to re-apply for the EL tickets?

I'm not signed up to it, but I was a few years ago and it always covered the UEFA cup and Champions League.

You could however stop your direct debit with your bank if you didn't want the UEFA tickets.

I'm not signed up to it, but I was a few years ago and it always covered the UEFA cup and Champions League.

You could however stop your direct debit with your bank if you didn't want the UEFA tickets.

Cheers.

I'll still go the EL games (if it comes to that), but was unsure if I had to re-apply.

so if we go into this comp this season and rafa doesnt win against teams who've got a much lower budget than us.will the 'but he hasnt got the same budget as other teams' brigade still say he shouldnt be sacked?

Upsets happen.

Given the fact that that over 38 games a season, the clubs with most resources tend to win, that's in any league.

So in closing if we were in a league based format I'd expect Liverpool to top the vast majority of UEFA teams and if we didn't then you'd have a point.

But we aren't, so you don't.

If we do end up in the uefa cup I hope to fuck we do go out to win it. It's not as though we have trophies spilling out the cupboards these last few years.

Are we meant to only try and challenge for the league and European cup now? That's a pretty small target when there are another god knows how many teams trying for the same honours.

I was pissed off when we went out the league cup and if/when we end up in the uefa cup i'd be pretty pissed if we didn't win that either.

What happened to existing to win trophies? Life and following Liverpool will be bleak if all it's about now is making sure your in the Champions League each year with no use for any silver polish each season.

I've come late to this thread, but if we do end up in it, I want us to go all the way and win it. Fuck it, it's a cup and a possible day out at a final. Sure it's a bit shit that we aren't in the Champions league but we exist to win trophies, so I'd be well up for a run in it.

The Uefa Cup is a big part of our history. It's a chance of a trophy and we should go all out to win it. There's some cracking teams left in it and I'm looking forward to it.

Calling it a 'distraction' is just typical of the snobby elitist attitude of the johnny-come-lately types who follow big clubs. A distraction from what exactly? Struggling to win league games?

Can't rep unfortunately.

I owe you one.

If we do end up in the uefa cup I hope to fuck we do go out to win it. It's not as though we have trophies spilling out the cupboards these last few years.

Are we meant to only try and challenge for the league and European cup now? That's a pretty small target when there are another god knows how many teams trying for the same honours.

I was pissed off when we went out the league cup and if/when we end up in the uefa cup i'd be pretty pissed if we didn't win that either.

What happened to existing to win trophies? Life and following Liverpool will be bleak if all it's about now is making sure your in the Champions League each year with no use for any silver polish each season.

A big part of me agrees, especially given it'll be 4 years since a trophy come 2010 when we can next win something.

But the UEFA Cup/Europa League has become so devalued in recent years and to be playing in it having been regular quarter finalists in it's much bigger and better brother of a competition would be so underwhelming.

It's not much of a consolation prize. It's a great trophy to win when the team is developing and building something for the future, but dropping back into it through the back door having failed in europe's big one is a pretty embarrassing prospect.

Yeah. But Barca will beat Inter. Because Inter are shit and are bottom of the group.

Plus, I concur with what Liverpool Lad said. You can't beat a good European away. So I'd love to go to some places where I've never been before.

But it'd still seem a million miles away from the likes of the Bernabeu etc from last season.

A trophy is a trophy. We should still go out to win it and I'd be pretty pissed off it Rafa takes this competition lightly.

Inter are top. And you never know with Barca.

A big part of me agrees, especially given it'll be 4 years since a trophy come 2010 when we can next win something.

But the UEFA Cup/Europa League has become so devalued in recent years and to be playing in it having been regular quarter finalists in it's much bigger and better brother of a competition would be so underwhelming.

It's not much of a consolation prize. It's a great trophy to win when the team is developing and building something for the future, but dropping back into it through the back door having failed in europe's big one is a pretty embarrassing prospect.

The state we are in at the moment I think we are back to a situation of rebuilding and developing. Also with only two european trophies to play for each year it will be nice to still have a pop at one of them.

If we win this twice more do we get to keep it as well? It'd be nice to have the set!

Upsets happen

Given the fact that that over 38 games a season, the clubs with most resources tend to win, that's in any league.

So in closing if we were in a league based format I'd expect Liverpool to top the vast majority of UEFA teams and if we didn't then you'd have a point.

But we aren't, so you don't.

fair point,like the CL in 2005? funny how the trophy we completely fluked is the thing that rafa supporters cling too.we were also out played in fa cup final against West ham but everybody seems to forget that too