You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

moxter

The uncertainty pricniple is one of the cornerstones of quantum mecanics and modern physics. Basically, the principle is that by making a measurement, you affect the result itself.

Scrodinger's Cat thought experiment is closely related. It says that if you put a cat into a box with a cyanide capsule that has 50% cance of bursting, and shut the lid, then you don't know whether the cat is alive or dead - so it is BOTH alive AND dead until you pen the box. By opening the box you affect the measurement itself.

I have an alternative scenario. You are walking along the road and a really fit bird comes along in the other direction. You wonder if she's checking you out.

There is no way of checking whether she's looking at you unless you stop looking at your feet and look up at her. Unfortunately, by looking up at her, she will automatically look away (if she was looking at you in the first place). Therefore, by taking a measurement, you affect the result itself.

I love quantum mechanics, me.

The uncertainty pricniple is one of the cornerstones of quantum mecanics and modern physics. Basically, the principle is that by making a measurement, you affect the result itself.

Scrodinger's Cat thought experiment is closely related. It says that if you put a cat into a box with a cyanide capsule that has 50% cance of bursting, and shut the lid, then you don't know whether the cat is alive or dead - so it is BOTH alive AND dead until you pen the box. By opening the box you affect the measurement itself.

I have an alternative scenario. You are walking along the road and a really fit bird comes along in the other direction. You wonder if she's checking you out.

There is no way of checking whether she's looking at you unless you stop looking at your feet and look up at her. Unfortunately, by looking up at her, she will automatically look away (if she was looking at you in the first place). Therefore, by taking a measurement, you affect the result itself.

You must be an ugly troglodyte. If your were a handsome brute like me she would smile and flick her fringe in a pleasantly seductive manner.

Should of worn sun glasses and just strained your eyes to look up, she would never of known.

Schrodingers cat was actually a critique of the Copenhagen interpretion of this.

You could use Everetts Many Worlds theory for this, in which at that point there are split Universes in which the cat is dead in one and alive in another. So, according to this the judy you were clocking will look away in one, but give you the gladeye in another.

To recap, even if she looks away, rest assured that in another Universe she's not and you're a witty remark away from being balls deep.

Hopefully, the quantum reverberation from this happy event will resonate through to the "look away" universe and at least you'll experience some kind of result by virtue of the zero-field energy generated by such.

All you need now is a method to capture such energy and you'll have the world first over-unity energy source. Now there's a job for you. "We need 10Gigawatts of energy. Walk down Church Street and clock as many birds as you can." Result.

Physics. It's not just for virgins anymore.

You could use Everetts Many Worlds theory for this, in which at that point there are split Universes in which the cat is dead in one and alive in another. So, according to this the judy you were clocking will look away in one, but give you the gladeye in another.

Is this the underlying principle of multiple dimensions theory, and thus String Theory?

This is the problem with science when they try to put cats in boxes, each cat has it's own personality and you can't just categorise them all away like that. The underlying problem is that a proposal is stated in language and language is not mathematical so you cannot measure a proposal because language games are not a reflection of reality anymore than an aardvark grunting at a tree.

The bird is both looking at you and not looking at you and may well be doing something else when you look at her. The influence is the result and always is, you can only ever capture your reflection as that is all reality ever will be to you but not you and not reality. A reflection is a reply, an echo against a wall, not the original sound which is only after all a reflection of some movement, what was the question again?

Schrodingers cat was actually a critique of the Copenhagen interpretion of this.

To recap, even if she looks away, rest assured that in another Universe she's not and you're a witty remark away from being balls deep.

Hopefully, the quantum reverberation from this happy event will resonate through to the "look away" universe and at least you'll experience some kind of result by virtue of the zero-field energy generated by such.

All you need now is a method to capture such energy and you'll have the world first over-unity energy source. Now there's a job for you. "We need 10Gigawatts of energy. Walk down Church Street and clock as many birds as you can." Result.

i will rep this post some day as an example of why i spend so much time here.

It's all fucked up.

mirror_mirror.jpg

With this example of the bird though, could that multi-dimensions thing truly apply? Because in every dimension she will be the same girl with the same taste in men surely? And the divergance would only occur based on your choices, not hers. I.e you could choose to spit at her, and you would be arrested, or you could choose to keep walking. At that point you 'diverge', but only because you have done something yourself.

But why would she find you attractive in one universe but not another?

It's all fucked up.

mirror_mirror.jpg

With this example of the bird though, could that multi-dimensions thing truly apply? Because in every dimension she will be the same girl with the same taste in men surely? And the divergance would only occur based on your choices, not hers. I.e you could choose to spit at her, and you would be arrested, or you could choose to keep walking. At that point you 'diverge', but only because you have done something yourself.

But why would she find you attractive in one universe but not another?

At different times in her time-line, she will have been subjected to different subtle influences, and all of these events are marked by a further splitting of dimensions.

Let's say that Moxter has a big fuck-off nose. A real killer of a schnozz, of a size similar to that controversial keel that the Aussies used that time to win that sailing cup thingy.

Let's say this bird had, amongst all those splits, been subjected, via various means, a spot of gusset tongue-typing by someone with a similar big hooter. During this act, the tip of his nose is tickling her arse. Now, previous to this she may of may not have ate (may or may not being subject to various other dimension-splits where a bluebottle with aids was trapped or not trapped in the kebab meat) a dodgy Doner kebab.

In some timelines, the kebab is nowt but a tasty snack, and she enjoys the nose/arse thing. She sees someone else with a big nose, thinks back to her spincter-surprise and how she enjoyed it. Bingo.

In another, she had the dodgy kebab and her arse twitched gut-gravy like a rectal Old Faithful all over the place upon being tickled by that nose. She sees moxter and his ginormous bonk and thinks "fuck that for a lark, I'm having no-one scrawl "Shirley Arsefountain" on the bog doors of the pub again." and ignores him. Pisser.

And so on.

At different times in her time-line, she will have been subjected to different subtle influences, and all of these events are marked by a further splitting of dimensions.

Let's say that Moxter has a big fuck-off nose. A real killer of a schnozz, of a size similar to that controversial keel that the Aussies used that time to win that sailing cup thingy.

Let's say this bird had, amongst all those splits, been subjected, via various means, a spot of gusset tongue-typing by someone with a similar big hooter. During this act, the tip of his nose is tickling her arse. Now, previous to this she may of may not have ate (may or may not being subject to various other dimension-splits where a bluebottle with aids was trapped or not trapped in the kebab meat) a dodgy Doner kebab.

In some timelines, the kebab is nowt but a tasty snack, and she enjoys the nose/arse thing. She sees someone else with a big nose, thinks back to her spincter-surprise and how she enjoyed it. Bingo.

In another, she had the dodgy kebab and her arse twitched gut-gravy like a rectal Old Faithful all over the place upon being tickled by that nose. She sees moxter and his ginormous bonk and thinks "fuck that for a lark, I'm having no-one scrawl "Shirley Arsefountain" on the bog doors of the pub again." and ignores him. Pisser.

And so on.

Missed this first time round. Absolute quality.

So explain to me why I live in the universe where she always looks away. Hugh Everett and his "Many worlds but yours is the one that sucks ass" theory can sod off.

Hmmm. If the many worlds interpretation has any truth to it, will there be a "Worst. Universe. Ever" out of all the possibilities? One where you live to a ripe age but wish you didn't. How do you know you are not living in it right now? Some poor soul forever doomed to experience third rate reality.