You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

worst. liverpool. defender. evar. and I've seen biscan at center back.

He was shite, but what he did is give Sami a rest for the odd match meaning that he wasn't totally fucked by the end of the season! We had Carragher and Sami as our centre halfs that season, not forgetting Dimi Traore, which I have been trying to do for five fucking years!

Six months, doesn't compare to the dissapointment of Morientes and Keane or the actual shitness of Josemi and Gonzalez, not mentioning the 'should have been betters' like Babel and Pennant.

We got Nunez instead of a paperweight!

He was shite, but what he did is give Sami a rest for the odd match meaning that he wasn't totally fucked by the end of the season! We had Carragher and Sami as our centre halfs that season, not forgetting Dimi Traore, which I have been trying to do for five fucking years!

Six months, doesn't compare to the dissapointment of Morientes and Keane or the actual shitness of Josemi and Gonzalez, not mentioning the 'should have been betters' like Babel and Pennant.

We got Nunez instead of a paperweight!

I've got a soft spot for babel and especially with his contribution to the CL 1/4 v arsenal and his winning goal v manu.

I've got a soft spot for babel and especially with his contribution to the CL 1/4 v arsenal and his winning goal v manu.

I was really looking for a big contribution from Babel last season, in fact I think we needed it, everything looked fine when he scored against Man U and then he just seemed to lose impetus.

As it looks like he is here to stay I would use him as cover for Torres, but I agree with you about how good he is, certainly potentially, but he hasn't done enough for me, he just seems to like the comfort zone i.e. Ajax

I personally don't think that anyone you sign for free, can be considered a flop. But I guess that's just me.

As for Morientes, such a shame he didn't work out. Can't really blame Rafa for trying though. He was a recognised, goal-scoring, international centreforward. Who'd have know that he wouldn't set the world alight?

I personally don't think that anyone you sign for free, can be considered a flop. But I guess that's just me.

As for Morientes, such a shame he didn't work out. Can't really blame Rafa for trying though. He was a recognised, goal-scoring, international centreforward. Who'd have know that he wouldn't set the world alight?

Considering our wage expense is 10 times* bigger than our transfer fees every year then I think you would do good finding anyone we sign for free.

I don't want to call Lucas, Babel and Dossena flops just yet by the way. I think that's unfair to both their contribution so far and to their future at the club.

*Can't remember the exact number, but I will look it up if it becomes an issue.

Anyone here got a list of the squad Rafa inherited? I'd like to compare that one to the one we have now, because we are of infinitely better quality than the side left behind by Houllier.

Reina, Torres and Mascherano can legitimately claim to be in the running for the best players in the world in their respective positions. Gerrard, although inherited, is the same. Alonso is one of the best of his type of players and Daniel Agger is in that bracket of potential.

It's pretty clear Rafa went for gradual increments in quality of the squad rather than signing players straight for the first team. There aren't a great number of players that didn't make a reasonable impact be it for the team or financially following their exit. I'm pretty happy with the job he's done here so far. We've got a real chance of the league next season.

I'm just glad the evolution of our squad wasn't abruptly stopped due to the occasional whinging bastard (I include myself in that).

1 Jerzy Dudek Goalkeeper

40 Paul Harrison Goalkeeper

12 Paul Jones Goalkeeper

22 Chris Kirkland Goalkeeper

29 Patrice Luzi Goalkeeper

6 Markus Babbel Defender

25 Igor Biscan Defender

23 Jamie Carragher Defender

3 Steve Finnan Defender

2 Stephane Henchoz Defender

4 Sami Hyypia Defender

36 Jon Otsemobor Defender

18 John Arne Riise Defender

21 Djimi Traore Defender

27 Gregory Vignal Defender

28 Bruno Cheyrou Midfielder

15 Salif Diao Midfielder

17 Steven Gerrard Midfielder

16 Dietmar Hamann Midfielder

7 Harry Kewell Midfielder

20 Anthony Le Tallec Midfielder

13 Danny Murphy Midfielder

26 Richie Partridge Midfielder

34 Darren Potter Midfielder

11 Vladimir Smicer Midfielder

32 John Welsh Midfielder

5 Milan Baros Striker

9 El Hadji Diouf Striker

8 Emile Heskey Striker

33 Neil Mellor Striker

10 Michael Owen Striker

24 Florent S.-Pongolle Striker

The thing is most of Rafa's "flops" were signed for free/little fee and were always going to be stop-gaps until we could afford/lure bigger targets e.g. Bellamy/Torres. Of course some of our current players are still "stop-gaps" (e.g. Riera) and will continue to be played until we can afford a world class talent in these positions*

It must also be noted that we got good returns on many of our "flops"

*I don't actually mind Riera and think he is certainly a good squad player.

Well at least we didnt pay 18 million each for a couple of complete tits in anderson and nani. Rafas flops have been generally cheap otions bar morientes and keane. Fergie and even whinger at arse have signed quite a few high profile fuck ups i.e. jeffers 10 m, reyes for near 20 m, kleberson , djemba djemba, wiltord was decent but for the money paid for him not great.

Teaching zonal marking is the Managers or Coach's job, not the Centre halves'.

Yes but he can't do that during a fucking game can he?

He can't make sure they take their correct places during a corner can he.

People forever go on about having a wise head in the team and Pellegrino was just that, just a shame he had less pace than Sami.

Yes but he can't do that during a fucking game can he?

He can't make sure they take their correct places during a corner can he.

People forever go on about having a wise head in the team and Pellegrino was just that, just a shame he had less pace than Sami.

Yes, I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to arrange some kind of "fake corner kick" routine while in a training session that might accurately reflect the possible outcomes of the opposition having a corner in a real match, and where our defenders should stand in the event of such an occurrence.

Yes, I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to arrange some kind of "fake corner kick" routine while in a training session that might accurately reflect the possible outcomes of the opposition having a corner in a real match, and where our defenders should stand in the event of such an occurrence.

Anybody can perform an action spot on when the "teacher" is 10 feet away, its a little different when its in a proper game.

How many of you pissed a mock exam and then got arse fucked when it was for real.

Good try Silverlining.

Anybody can perform an action spot on when the "teacher" is 10 feet away, its a little different when its in a proper game.

How many of you pissed a mock exam and then got arse fucked when it was for real.

Good try Silverlining.

More than a good try, I've fucking rinsed you, lid

"mock exams"? "Action spots"??

What the fuck are you blathering on about?

More than a good try, I've fucking rinsed you, lid

"mock exams"? "Action spots"??

What the fuck are you blathering on about?

Its called pressure. A player can kncok ten penos in in training and can then freeze when they step up to take one in a match.