You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 1 year later...

I'm off work with it today.

It's a pain in the arse the way everyone who sees you hobbling around is sympathetic until you tell them it's gout, then they start laughing and tell you you're too old or too rich.

I might start calling it "Dirk Kuyt" as well, though. Give them something to think about.

Eat low fat, low protein and much vitamin C to prevent it from coming back.

A 2004 study suggests that animal flesh sources of purine (such as beef and seafood) slightly increases the risk of developing gout. However, high-purine vegetable sources (such as asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, and green peas) did not. Dairy products such as milk and cheese significantly reduced the chances of gout. (Wiki)

• Upvote 1

A 2004 study suggests that animal flesh sources of purine (such as beef and seafood) slightly increases the risk of developing gout. However, high-purine vegetable sources (such as asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, and green peas) did not. Dairy products such as milk and cheese significantly reduced the chances of gout. (Wiki)

Im not up for a diet of asparagus,cauliflower,spinach and green peas ....I flesh too much so Ill take the occasional limp

I fucking love cheese though but this always makes it worse

Am i the only one that has never heard of gout? I have never seen anyone with it before either. This is all new to me and it has me worried that someday i might develope this thing.

Knocking back the ale like a good'un will put you in the club guranteed!

Was fine until I went back to college and discovered the student bar!

I feel for you mate, i get gout and i tell you what it's probably the most painfull expierence i've ever had.

I'm 29 and play football to a really good standard, not over weight dont drink alot (a sesh once every 3 weeks with the lads) and eat healthy so its not always diet related.

Like Tom said it was know as the kings disease, mainly because a diet rich in shellfish, red meat and bevee can be the cause, but it can also hereditary as mine is.

If it is Gout it means medication for the rest of you life to prevent it, i take this and i can tell you its far better than the pain of an attack every few weeks. The only problem is you can only start taking the meds when your not having an attack.

unfortunatly NSAID's will not help ease the pain, my top tip is to put a teaspoon full of bia-carb soda into about 200ml of water and drink it, it tastes bloody awful but it does ease the pain do this 2-3 time a day just be careful if you have any salt/diet related issues.

gout-hatersdotcom is a usefull forum.

Apparently, cherry juice is good for it. Shop next to Tesco on London Rd sells it - £1.15 a litre.

I was told to stay off cheese!

Anyone who thinks they have gout get an x ray done.

Apparently gout shows up clear as day on it.

I had it and the doctor blamed too much ale, I agreed with him and agreed to cut down.

Three months later I got it again. He asked about the ale and I said "I've cut down my drinking by half since I first had gout. I used to drink forty pints a week....... now I only drink thirty nine and a half".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2