You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where the fuck does it come from and why now?

Honestly no idea.

I'm on Allopurinol to supress the build up of uric acid, and Indometacin for (strong) pain relief. They seem to work, but once in the middle of a gout attack the Allopurinol is completely inneffective apparently.

Steering clear of shell-fish and offal seems to have helped, and I have lowered my red meat consumption, but still drink like a fish tbh. Pastry is also said to be a trigger.

Been gout free for around 4-5 months (touch wood), because the pain really  is excruciating. That said, I would be naive to think I'll never suffer another episode.

Like others have said, Holland and Barret do clery seed extract pills and black cherry concentrate, both are supposed to help but after taking them both for a while, I'm not so certain.

A decent pair of Birkenstock's might be your best bet mate.

My old Dad gets this now and again it is agony for the poor old bugger. he tried all the tablets and got no relief so his Doc told him to try a couple of table spoons of Cider Vinegar twice a day and it does the trick in no time. Don't know why but its got to be worth a try as some of those tablets they give you for it have seriously unpleasant side effects.

• Upvote 1

There's a tonic of cider vinegar, garlic and organic honey which is used as a great natural remedy for a number of things, not sure if it does gout but worth a google search.

If you can get an cider vinegar which has something called 'The Mother' in it. Far more potent.

Just got the prescription this week for alpurinol. This attack is the worst one I've had, it's been on and off for six weeks now, and in my left toe. Before that it always used to be in my ankles.

Never got my head round it, as I hardly drink, don't eat too much of the "trigger foods", ok I'm a little over weight, but never worked out why.

First attack I ended up at a&e at 3am, as I'd thought I'd broken my ankle. They diagnosed it, and had about six attacks in two years, this latest has been the worst. Though to be fair it was on its way out after about three weeks, but the wife decided we'd have steak for tea that night, and fuck me did I pay for it in the night.

Really has been a bitch, and I'm hoping that the alpurinol will keep it away.

I'd read that some women who'd had it described the pain as second only to child birth.

Amen brother.

The abuse I've put my body through over the years and never anything, a hangover yeah, one that lasted two days yeah but nothing like this.

Could it be stress related at all mate? You've fairly been through the mill the past couple of years. Might be worth mentioning to your gp

• 10 months later...

Well after this weekend it might make a bit of sense.

Woke up this morning and thought I must have slept awkwardly or something.

Done fuck all all day and the pain is just getting fucking worse by the minute.

Give NHS Direct a call