You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rich food and booze is what gets you the gout old boy.

It was once worn a badge of honour as it meant that you had money. The man with gout was quite the catch back in Victorian and Edwardian times.

...Today it just means you're a bit of a pisshead! haha

• Upvote 1

Rich food and booze is what gets you the gout old boy.

It was once worn a badge of honour as it meant that you had money. The man with gout was quite the catch back in Victorian and Edwardian times.

...Today it just means you're a bit of a pisshead! haha

Id have to agree with the piss head bit mate

I know it was called rich mans disease.Didnt Henry the eighth have it ?

I currently have gout and its fucking agony.Im only 28 abd its the second time I have had this in just over a year.My big toe currently looks like a beetroot

Does anyone else suffer this fucking awful thing ?

I feel for you mate, i get gout and i tell you what it's probably the most painfull expierence i've ever had.

I'm 29 and play football to a really good standard, not over weight dont drink alot (a sesh once every 3 weeks with the lads) and eat healthy so its not always diet related.

Like Tom said it was know as the kings disease, mainly because a diet rich in shellfish, red meat and bevee can be the cause, but it can also hereditary as mine is.

If it is Gout it means medication for the rest of you life to prevent it, i take this and i can tell you its far better than the pain of an attack every few weeks. The only problem is you can only start taking the meds when your not having an attack.

unfortunatly NSAID's will not help ease the pain, my top tip is to put a teaspoon full of bia-carb soda into about 200ml of water and drink it, it tastes bloody awful but it does ease the pain do this 2-3 time a day just be careful if you have any salt/diet related issues.

gout-hatersdotcom is a usefull forum.

I feel for you mate, i get gout and i tell you what it's probably the most painfull expierence i've ever had.

I'm 29 and play football to a really good standard, not over weight dont drink alot (a sesh once every 3 weeks with the lads) and eat healthy so its not always diet related.

Like Tom said it was know as the kings disease, mainly because a diet rich in shellfish, red meat and bevee can be the cause, but it can also hereditary as mine is.

If it is Gout it means medication for the rest of you life to prevent it, i take this and i can tell you its far better than the pain of an attack every few weeks. The only problem is you can only start taking the meds when your not having an attack.

unfortunatly NSAID's will not help ease the pain, my top tip is to put a teaspoon full of bia-carb soda into about 200ml of water and drink it, it tastes bloody awful but it does ease the pain do this 2-3 time a day just be careful if you have any salt/diet related issues.

gout-hatersdotcom is a usefull forum.

Thanks for that mate,I have never been the docs about it,Its just pretty obvious I have it.Last time was just over a year ago and I just let nature heal it.It took over a week

I got some gout tablets off my uncle yesterday.Im prob best going the docs to try and prevent it cos as u say its fucking horrendous the pain

Thanks for that mate,I have never been the docs about it,Its just pretty obvious I have it.Last time was just over a year ago and I just let nature heal it.It took over a week

I got some gout tablets off my uncle yesterday.Im prob best going the docs to try and prevent it cos as u say its fucking horrendous the pain

Thats how mine started, once every few months but just a bit of swelling, then it got more regular and more painfull, i remember nearly being in tears 4 days before going to Itanbul final thinking how am i going to cope over there.

If the tablets your uncle gave you are Allopurinol do not take them while you are having an attack, it will make it 10x worse. Wait until your pain free to take them. If it's a drug he was given for the pain this would be ok.

Get to the docs simple blood test will confirm it, good luck.

dam thats some bad looking gout, mine is always in my big toes. Dehydration is one of the biggests things that bring it on for me, that and not bothering to take the tablets.

Also Black Cherries are supposed to help as they lower your Purine levels, thats the cause of the pain.

What is Gout?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gout is a condition that is brought on by an excessive amount of uric acid, an end product of purines, in the body. Excess uric acid in the blood, called hyperurecemia, can occur when the body either over-produces uric acid, fails to elimate it properly, or a combination of the two.

Needle-shaped uric acid crystals form in the connective tissue of the joints. As white blood cells rupture when attempting to ingest the crystals, other white blood cells accumulate, resulting in inflammation and excrutiating pain. Attacks of gout can occur with little or no notice, usually in joints of the outer extremities, such as the large toe. This is probably due to the lower body temperature found in these areas.

Attacks can be brought on by many causes: surgery, some diuretic medications, dehydration, alcohol consumption, extreme changes in diet, use of aspirin (a salicylate), renal insufficiency, trauma, and a diet of foods high in purines.

About 5.9 million people in the United States suffer from gout, and the numbers are growing. More than 70 per cent are men over 40. Gout does not usually occur in women until after menopause.

Treatments include symptom-relieving medicines such as anti-inflammatories and colchicine, preventive medicines such as allopurinol, elimination of alcohol, and a diet of foods lower in purines. Interestingly, gout is said to be the only rheumatic disease known to be helped when certain foods are avoided.

My old man gets it, apparently the pain is so bad he thought he had broken his toe, went up the hospital and had a x-ray and got a right bollocking from the Doctor for wasting his time. He takes allopurinol now and never gets an attack any more