You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All New 'Best Video Game Ever' Thread

wiiksie

Just now, cloggypop said:

No Manic Miner? 

No Jet Set Willy? 

No Monty Mole? 

Kinell

Let's be honest, Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy were basically variations of the same game. I'm sure they were great at the time, but I didn't play them until long after they were released. They are punishingly hard, and I've always been sceptical of games which think extreme difficulty is an adequate substitute for gameplay.

I missed most of the Monty Mole games. I don't think I got a Speccy until 1988. I remember Impossamole coming out and I can't remember if I played it or not.

There's loads of classic games I never played. Elite and R-Type are two which spring to mind. There were so many games available on those old 8-bit computers that you couldn't possibly hope to play all the good ones.

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

The genius behind Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy was Matthew Smith. He was later living over here in a squat, doing a load of psychedelics and working in the same place as a load of Spiral Tribe after they did a runner after Castlemorton and the draconian laws that followed. Maddest place I've ever worked like. 

There was an interview with him in Retro Gamer magazine (subscriber here!) a year or so ago, and he came across as ....I think eccentric is the polite way of putting it. 

24 minutes ago, J-V said:

I think I paid £60 for that when it came out.

I remember buying Star Wars on the NES for £50 back in...1991? 1992? It seemed an astronomical amount of money (certainly for a 12 year old). 

Completed it though. Without saves or passwords, just playing it from start to finish. 

I've tried playing it since and I can barely get through he first few screens - fucking impossible. 

2 hours ago, Mike D said:

I never actually owned an Amiga myself but my best mate a few houses down had one, well it was his older brothers but we were always on it. His dad would usually come home on a Friday I think with some new pirated games which cost about £1.

He’d kick us off it so he could play Lemmings.

A spoilt cousin of mine apparently kicked off bad style on Christmas Day because he got an Amiga plus and that was the one that wouldn’t play copied games.

I had a hand me down Commodore 64 well after they were popular, this was early 90s. I’d play on this alongside my Mega drive. I’m Trying to think of a great tank game we had which my dad made a foot pedal for. He was good with things like that, he built a kit version of the Zinclair spectrum which is still in my parents loft, it had a rubber keyboard.

I never had an Amiga, so I played on my mate’s, which he used to share with his brother. They sold it and bought a SNES console each.

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I never had an Amiga, so I played on my mate’s, which he used to share with his brother. They sold it and bought a SNES console each.

A Snes each! Bloody hell. 

I had a Speccy 48k, which we sold to get the 128k. Sold the 128k to get a nes. Sold the NES to get a SNES. Sold the SNES to get a PlayStation 1. Sold the 1 to get a PS2. It was always sell to buy for us. And then I pretty much stop playing games for about ten years. 

I had an Atari ST and my Dad's mate in Birmingham used to send us up big packages of pirated games, this was early to mid 90s & my favourite games were...

Sensible Soccer

Kick Off 2

Xenon

Ghosts & Ghouls

WWF Wrestling 

Shinobi

Lemmings

I had The Godfather game, remember buying that one and it was shite.

I had an Atari Lynx as well, that was fucking brilliant but they only made about 25 games for it so it died a death while everyone was playing vastly inferior Gameboys.

26 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Let's be honest, Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy were basically variations of the same game. I'm sure they were great at the time, but I didn't play them until long after they were released. They are punishingly hard, and I've always been sceptical of games which think extreme difficulty is an adequate substitute for gameplay.

I missed most of the Monty Mole games. I don't think I got a Speccy until 1988. I remember Impossamole coming out and I can't remember if I played it or not.

There's loads of classic games I never played. Elite and R-Type are two which spring to mind. There were so many games available on those old 8-bit computers that you couldn't possibly hope to play all the good ones.

R Type was a great game. I remember having that on my Sega master system. Classic side scroller shoot em up.

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

I had an Atari ST and my Dad's mate in Birmingham used to send us up big packages of pirated games, this was early to mid 90s & my favourite games were...

Sensible Soccer

Kick Off 2

Xenon

Ghosts & Ghouls

WWF Wrestling 

Shinobi

Lemmings

I had The Godfather game, remember buying that one and it was shite.

I had an Atari Lynx as well, that was fucking brilliant but they only made about 25 games for it so it died a death while everyone was playing vastly inferior Gameboys.

I had an Atari Lynx, the first one. It was huge! I didn’t know anyone else who had one, so I ended up buying a Game Boy as well. My favourite Atari Lynx games were - California Games, Gauntlett, Rampage and Warbirds.

46AF86D4-3694-47FB-80CC-C681F5E4D4F4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

R Type -  Master System
Thunder Blade - Master System
Ghouls and Ghosts - Megadrive
Revenge of Shinobi- Megadrive
Super Monaco GP - Megadrive 
Thunder force 2 - Megadrive 
Super Mario World- SNES
Super Tennis - SNES
Street fighter 2 - SNES
Super Mario Kart- SNES
F Zero- SNES
Pilotwings- SNES
Goldeneye- N64
Zelda Ocarina Of Time - N64
Metroid Prime - GameCube 
Zelda Wind Waker - GameCube 
Resident Evil 4 - GameCube 
Rocket League - Switch

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I had an Atari Lynx, the first one. It was huge! I didn’t know anyone else who had one, so I ended up buying a Game Boy as well. My favourite Atari Lynx games were - California Games, Gauntlett, Rampage and Warbirds.

It was the second one I had. I was forever playing ice hockey on it, fuck knows what the game was called.

png-transparent-playstation-2-atari-lynx-handheld-game-console-lynx-gadget-electronics-animals-thumbnail.png

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I had one of them! California Games was good. I remember having a game called Slime World on that. I think you were fucked unless it was plugged in. Batteries didn’t last long in them days.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

I remember buying Star Wars on the NES for £50 back in...1991? 1992? It seemed an astronomical amount of money (certainly for a 12 year old). 

Completed it though. Without saves or passwords, just playing it from start to finish. 

I've tried playing it since and I can barely get through he first few screens - fucking impossible. 

Star Wars on the Snes was superb.

Could you even save games then.  I remember playing X-Com on the PS1 I had the leave the machine on all night as I didn't have a memory card so had to ride upto Toys R Us to buy one to save my progress.

13 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've checked through the entire thread and either missed it or it's not been mentioned, so I'm going to add Starwing (or Star Fox in the US) to the list I made on the other page. I should've added it first time really, thought it was amazing when it came out.

Brilliant game as was the N64 one.

• Upvote 1

Not quite Daley Thompson but still a great game. I stood in our local video shop one new years eve for an hour and a half waiting for someone to return this game when it was due. They obviously had other ideas and had planned an entire new years eve party around this game. Cant remember what i ended up getting but i imagine i was probably asleep by 10.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Mike D said:

When you couldn’t save games on consoles and you were far into a game and your mum would come in and knock it with the hoover and the thing would crash!

I had Striker on the SNES. All the players had made-up names, so I’d edit the entire Premier League before kicking a ball. As there was no save facility, I’d lose everything when I switched the console off. I’d then have to edit it all again the next time I played.