You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

6 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I admire your optimism, I really do!

@an tha knows how it is. He wants to believe. A bit like @dave u with the whole Everton relegation thing. 

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I wouldnt mind but they got mac Allister at a snip and Slob at a decent price AND got decent money for hendo and Fab yet they are fucking haggling over every deal by a few million.

Rank amateurs.

Or they're really fucking smart. They're only amateurs if you think winning is an important thing. 

45 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They've won the lot - dominating the lot is a whole different ball of wax.

The club where in a position a couple of seasons ago, perhaps not to dominate, (that only happens with Citeh-esque levels of cheating) but certainly to ensure we stayed at the top table challenging for honours. John was dumb enough to do the same with the Red Sox - not building on success, just ephemeral flickers of success (last World Series was 2018) - followed by him giving it the big one.

They failed to invest when it was required - repeating their obvious error again this transfer window. 

Once Klopp decides he’s had enough, we’ll be in the wind - challenging only for domestic and second tier honours. 

With MU going to Saudi - that’s 3 clubs with unlimited spending power (4 if you include drunken-sailors Chelsea). 

Leaves us 3 options: 

- take the same path

- find the ‘new-Klopp’

- settle into the chasing pack

The only palatable option in my eyes is the second, with the third most probable. Wonder if Linda spends her nights frustrated and unfulfilled…

On the caveat we are done  its not enough this window and it leaves us loads to do in the next window which we once again won't do. Another window with big talk of going for a big player who didn't want to come here that's 3 for 3 we are becoming a bit Everton. Liverpool scouting network only bothers to look at about 3 players and tell us everybody else shit inspite of the fact that nearly every mediocre to shite team in this league has at least one player that's top quality. Even Everton have Onana who would waltz into our team. Is it computer say No.

Klopp spoke of needing more players shit saying to Endo "we need you, we really need you" "we are a good team but very offensive" yeah we are we need a DM and a fucking defender minimum, only Liverpool go from an attempt at getting the best available in the world allegedly to paying 16 million for a 5 ft 8, 30 year old with no pace and telling us he is the solution to a team that's struggling to balance offensive and defensive football. We really really need you 30 year old DM that's been on nobody's register but I've got no fucking money and nobody at the club knows how to do football deals, scout players or show any kind of forward thinking and at this point I'd take a traffic cone as long as it could fill one of the huge gaps in our squad.

Won't over pay a few million for players we really have an eye on but pay 16 million for a 30 year old with one year left on his contract and give him a 4 year deal. It makes no fucking sense that 16 million split in half could of been the extra on top of the lavia deal 2 months ago and the Andre deal, two young players with potential. Not that we wanted both together just an example of 2 we are connected to but seemed intent on haggling over.

We have to do more business surely.

Reading the Twitter-arti saying we’re moving past Doucoure as Palace want too much money, referencing they want approaching Caicedo / Rice money. 

If we’re moving on, I’ve no problem. I’m unconvinced by him. We do need somebody else though. 

Keep seeing Fofana of Monaco tentatively linked. Apparently Forest had c.£30m accepted last week and he turned them down. Given his low wages and contract situation, feels a bit of a steal for a French international. Apart from that, I don’t know much about him. Can any of our French scouts comment?

I am a bit concerned at the lack of centre back being linked. 

17 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Who hasn't had their fill of that shite by now?

I was hoping for some more in depth ins and outs. It doesn’t offer anything particularly new on what we already knew.

Chelsea don’t think he went there for the money though. Of course not. 

Oh, and we like Aston Villa’s Boubacar Kamara.

• Haha 1

Does gravenberch want to leave Bayern - looks like no.

Do Palace want to do a reasonable deal? - looks like no.

Is Andre available now? - looks like no.

I reckon that's our lot for midfield. Hopefully there's something to the schuurs/hincapie links as I think the defence is a bigger risk now.

Hincapie is the only player who makes sense coming in as player who can line up in 3-2-2-3  as a left back and also play centre back but he has a broken foot and isn't back until the end of September, I don't think we go near him because there's no guarantee of the extent of the break and depending on the bone it could be an awkward one.

Schuurs doesn't fit the young coming in as 4/5 choice for the season with a view to replacing Matip and is unlikely to be playing left back so would have to sit behind Van Dijk for game time in a European Championship year.

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Does gravenberch want to leave Bayern - looks like no.

Do Palace want to do a reasonable deal? - looks like no.

Is Andre available now? - looks like no.

I reckon that's our lot for midfield. Hopefully there's something to the schuurs/hincapie links as I think the defence is a bigger risk now.

If we want a centre back and a midfielder, given the HG / Non-HG we can only be hanging on for Gravenberch for midfield. 

He’d be classed as an U21 and then we could sign Schurr / Hincape / Theate / Medina / Whoever.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

If we want a centre back and a midfielder, given the HG / Non-HG we can only be hanging on for Gravenberch for midfield. 

He’d be classed as an U21 and then we could sign Schurr / Hincape / Whoever. 

Hincapie is in the same position as Gravenberch and qualifies as U21 for this season so you could flip it but I'd be surprised if we sign him for the reasons mentioned.

11 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Hincapie is in the same position as Gravenberch and qualifies as U21 for this season so you could flip it but I'd be surprised if we sign him for the reasons mentioned.

We need to think to something - we clearly can’t do both.

Unless we sign a player classed as HG, although I can’t think of any. 

32 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Who hasn't had their fill of that shite by now?

The Athletic needs to fill a few data centres every week with 30,000 word articles. 

I've paid for a few subs for it on low enough deals. Some of it is good but I often forgot for a few months at a time that I had access to it. 

• Upvote 1