You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

I'm always amazed by how narrow our field of interst is when it comes to buying players. It's the same names repeated, then when we miss out on them we go back to the same narrow field of names mooted earlier in the summer.

Then when nothing comes they spin this yarn that there's nobody available, on the entire planet, who can play better than - say - Curtis Jones, or Naby Keita as was.

Klopp seems fully, genuinely bought into this too.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Do we take from the Athletics article about players passed on by the club that Klopp didn't fancy Boubacar Kamara and went for Endo instead?

It doesn't say. I'd assume Klopp didn't fancy him or we wouldn't pay the price for somebody they signed for free last summer - if Palace are referencing Caicedo / Rice fee's for Dourcoure, then you can assume Villa will be doing the same.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm always amazed by how narrow our field of interst is when it comes to buying players. It's the same names repeated, then when we miss out on them we go back to the same narrow field of names mooted earlier in the summer.

Alternatively, the press don't really know who we're after and they just regurgitate stories?

Szoboszlai, Endo and the Caicedo news came relatively from nowhere. I'd suggest it was in Southampton's best interest to be leaking the Lavia news. Most of the Gravenberch news has come from German reporters. The mancs are hardly tight lipped about anything, so it's not a huge leap to think they were leaking the Mount stories, especially if they can spin they beat us to a player.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Hincapie is the only player who makes sense coming in as player who can line up in 3-2-2-3  as a left back and also play centre back but he has a broken foot and isn't back until the end of September, I don't think we go near him because there's no guarantee of the extent of the break and depending on the bone it could be an awkward one.

Schuurs doesn't fit the young coming in as 4/5 choice for the season with a view to replacing Matip and is unlikely to be playing left back so would have to sit behind Van Dijk for game time in a European Championship year.

From the little that I've seen of Hincapie, he looks absolutely shit.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Is Andre available now? - looks like no.

Fluminense are playing a 2 legged quarter final in the Copa Libertadores with the 2nd leg being played Sept 1st 1:30 AM (GMT+1).

If they win they'll probably want to keep him.

But if If they don't we might be able to sign him. There'll be time enough to get the deal dome before the windows closes at 11:00 PM, right?

So, we probably can't expect any definite news regarding Andre until the very end of the window, Roomers have it we've agreed personal terms with him. Is it time enough to bring him to Liverpool and a med check? Or maybe our doctors could travel to Brazil and do the med checjk there?

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Makes sense positionally, a defender who plays both centre back and left back.

Been reading he was sent off 3 times for Leverkusen last season. 

Even Xabi’s kind words on him in the Echo today can’t shake the bad vibes I have on him. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Reading the Twitter-arti saying we’re moving past Doucoure as Palace want too much money, referencing they want approaching Caicedo / Rice money. 

If we’re moving on, I’ve no problem. I’m unconvinced by him. We do need somebody else though. 

Keep seeing Fofana of Monaco tentatively linked. Apparently Forest had c.£30m accepted last week and he turned them down. Given his low wages and contract situation, feels a bit of a steal for a French international. Apart from that, I don’t know much about him. Can any of our French scouts comment?

I am a bit concerned at the lack of centre back being linked. 

The signings we do make in many cases seem to be players we haven’t been Linked with. And we very rarely sign players we’re linked with.

Lack of linking isn’t a great concern imo, as linking isn’t a sign of activity or plans from the club.

Lack of actually signing quality players, at the right time, fitting into a system and a long term plan is a major concern.

3-2-2-3 is a situational adjustment, or should be, not the team formation. Trent is still ostensibly playing full back. 

Doesn't change the validity of the comments in here, just something I needed to moan about. Seeing lineups like that too much. Trent has been clearly told a few times that he's sitting in there too much, it's not where he should be for most of the 90.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

The signings we do make in many cases seem to be players we haven’t been Linked with. And we very rarely sign players we’re linked with.

Lack of linking isn’t a great concern imo, as linking isn’t a sign of activity or plans from the club.

Lack of actually signing quality players, at the right time, fitting into a system and a long term plan is a major concern.

I think in terms of midfield, it’s obvious we’ve been trying to do something - we’ve signed 3 players, been turned down by 3 players and been linked with countless others. 

There has been nothing like that for defence, at all. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think in terms of midfield, it’s obvious we’ve been trying to do something - we’ve signed 3 players, been turned down by 3 players and been linked with countless others. 

There has been nothing like that for defence, at all. 

Yeah, there hasn't been one solid link. We'd want to have somebody lined up for January. 

People's expectations for a defensive signing don't align with Klopp's and never have all summer.

The overriding sentiment from supporters has been that if Klopp's going to persist with this formation they need a replacement for Robertson (the fact they then go on to suggest a number of defender unsuited to that is by the by).

Whereas Klopp/the clubs view is they want a project centre back they can mould into a future replacement for one of the existing centrebacks.

32 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Whereas Klopp/the clubs view is they want a project centre back they can mould into a future replacement for one of the existing centrebacks.

Although I think that is likely true, apart from Colwill, there hasn’t been any reasonable links to anybody.