You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why? Mac Allister will stay where he is. After him it would be one of Endo, Jones, Bajectic, Thiago - he would not be the first choice amongst those.

I don't think Mac Allister was bought to be our main DM and we won't see the best of him there.

As for Endo - he quite realistically ends up ahead of most of that list - Jones is not a DM, Bajcetic is a kid who needs managing and time to grow and develop, has had no pre season to speak of and has not kicked a ball in anger for nearly 6 months and as is well documented Thiago will likely be unavailable for at least half the season....

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

I don't think Mac Allister was bought to be our main DM and we won't see the best of him there.

As for Endo - he quite realistically ends up ahead of most of that list - Jones is not a DM, Bajcetic is a kid who needs managing and time to grow and develop, has had no pre season to speak of and has not kicked a ball in anger for nearly 6 months and as is well documented Thiago will likely be unavailable for at least half the season....

We'll see, he is not going to sit on the bench if Gravenberch arrives and that was the point - the lad himself feels that's where he plays.

Respect your opinion on the other stuff but facts seem to say otherwise. In any case back to the discussion starter - if anything we now have very few square pegs. There are always questions about how players will perform but no one is doing anything too far outside of what they are good at.

If anything in the first 11 it is Robbo, not any of the midfielders.

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah we’ve almost got too many squad players but not the ideal starter.

If we could get a guaranteed top notch player in there then it all makes sense. Agree Mac should be further up but who can occasionally fill in.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We'll see, he is not going to sit on the bench if Gravenberch arrives and that was the point - the lad himself feels that's where he plays.

Respect your opinion on the other stuff but facts seem to say otherwise. In any case back to the discussion starter - if anything we now have very few square pegs. There are always questions about how players will perform but no one is doing anything too far outside of what they are good at.

If anything in the first 11 it is Robbo, not any of the midfielders.

The thing that gets me then if that is case is why bid 111m for Caicedo?

I have respect for your opinions too, pal - but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one - it really does feel to me we have been putting out make and do line ups for a while now for all the reasons covered over last few posts.

I'd like to see a real statement type DM and a centre half come in and i'd be happy enough with our summer business.....useless squad space wasters gone like Keita and Oxlade.....washed up big earners like Hendo and Fab gone, an upgrade on back up like Milner in, and quality added in the lads brought in.

Just got get balance right.

Anyway - as i say agree to disagree on other stuff and time of course will tell.

8 hours ago, No2 said:

If you watched Palace tonight and you were told one of their midfielders was worth 70m and the other 10m, you would struggle to understand who was which. Doucoure looks no different to me than hundreds of midfielders who've passed through the league, run around blocking passing lanes, get your boot in, do Hodgson stuff. When Arsenal went down to 10 and he had plenty of the ball he looked like a 10m player.

I wouldn’t be quite a scathing but I wasn’t particularly impressed last night. Didn’t influence the game until the red card. After that, he was a bit better and made a couple of decent passes in tight areas which his team mates wasted.

I think it’s difficult to judge when his side are very clearly drilled to be low block, everybody behind the ball, difficult to play through etc. They just seemed so passive, which is the opposite of what we’d expect from him. 

Palace aren’t on TV again before the window closes, so I think there ends my chances to watch him. 

The jury was out before last night and they are still out this morning. 

7 hours ago, an tha said:

That Andersen at centre half is really handy IMO.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, I think Klopp would be a fan. Tall, big frame and great passing range.

I like his as well. Talk Newcastle were looking at him. 

I think a lack of pace will hold him back from a top move. Last night, Nketiah or Martinelli (who I know are fast) gave him a 10 yard head start and he was more or less making a last ditch attempt to play the ball before they got there. 

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I see their next 2 Libertadores matches are the next 2 Thursday nights / Friday mornings. 

Expecting his Quarter Final to finish at c.3.30am next Friday morning, they get knocked out and then to travel to the UK to get everything finalised before 11pm feels a stretch. 

Feels much more likely this is agreed for January. Unlike a couple of pre-agreement players we’ve signed, I hope he starts taking English lessons immediately. 

40 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I wouldn’t be quite a scathing but I wasn’t particularly impressed last night. Didn’t influence the game until the red card. After that, he was a bit better and made a couple of decent passes in tight areas which his team mates wasted.

I think it’s difficult to judge when his side are very clearly drilled to be low block, everybody behind the ball, difficult to play through etc. They just seemed so passive, which is the opposite of what we’d expect from him. 

Palace aren’t on TV again before the window closes, so I think there ends my chances to watch him. 

The jury was out before last night and they are still out this morning. 

But you can judge how quick he covers the ground, how stout in the tackle, the accuracy of his passing etc.

All of those attributes are relevant, irrelevant of the position played.

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

But you can judge how quick he covers the ground, how stout in the tackle, the accuracy of his passing etc.

All of those attributes are relevant, irrelevant of the position played.

He’s a professional central midfielder, I’d expect those attributes to be of a high quality already. 

IMO last night, I didn’t see anything to suggest we should be spending >£60m on him. 

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He’s a professional central midfielder, I’d expect those attributes to be of a high quality already. 

IMO last night, I didn’t see anything to suggest we should be spending >£60m on him. 

Not saying you're wrong but as a DM in a side that was playing a team vastly better than the one he was in, and wouldn't expect to see much of the possession, what was your expectation for him last night?

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not saying you're wrong but as a DM in a side that was playing a team vastly better than the one he was in, and wouldn't expect to see much of the possession, what was your expectation for him last night?

Yeah, I was just thinking was my expectation of him off?

I was expecting some sort of bulldozing Momo Sissoko. Obviously that isn’t his game. He was more like Keita. 

I just thought he’d be more aggressive with his pressing, attempts to win the ball back and take the game by the scruff of the neck. I get that those characteristics are likely somewhat lessened due to Hodgesaurus’ dull as dishwater tactics. 

I barely noticed him in the first half. He did come into more as the game went on and he did a few good things towards the end, I just feel, IMO, what he did wasn’t sufficient to justify the >£60m.

Obviously our scouts etc will have a far better appreciation of his skill set and will have watched him far more than I have. IMO, I just felt very underwhelmed. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, I’m saying, IMO, last night didn’t warrant us paying >£60m. 

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

He stayed central a lot, it's the system he's in, but didn't exactly give him the opportunity to show how he can help cover overloads in the wide area. Instead Roy was bringing Eze and Ayew deep to do that while keeping doucoure central, I assume, to help with crosses?

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't need to. You're the one playing silly arses. Just some bitter cunt who is here to wind people up. If you're going to talk like a manc, you'll be called as one. 

If I were you I’d ignore the manc cunt. I wonder why you find it so hard to do that.

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He stayed central a lot, it's the system he's in, but didn't exactly give him the opportunity to show how he can help cover overloads in the wide area. Instead Roy was bringing Eze and Ayew deep to do that while keeping doucoure central, I assume, to help with crosses?

Yep, Palace played a low block with a double pivot of him and Lerma in midfield and both players stayed really close to the centrebacks, shielding and mopping up loose balls. I'm not sure either of them went beyond the width of the penalty box by design.

When they recovered the ball they were trying to hit it behind Arsenals fullbacks for Eze/Ayew/Schlupp to counter or occasionally just relying on Eze to run it down Arsenals throat while Ayew/Schlupp pulled wide.