You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He made the right choice. No kid being properly advised should join a 'big' club over a club like Brighton these days if they actually want a career in the game. Not a criticism of anyone, just the way things are. 

He's right in terms of Brighton offering him a move straight into the first team picture, but we're a strange comparator. Would argue that if you have the talent here, you will get opportunities, and we've massively improved in seeing graduates head on to a career in the game. 

I mean, we have a 17 year old currently not left in the u18s.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He's right in terms of Brighton offering him a move straight into the first team picture, but we're a strange comparator. Would argue that if you have the talent here, you will get opportunities, and we've massively improved in seeing graduates head on to a career in the game. 

I mean, we have a 17 year old currently not left in the u18s.

I think us and other big clubs sometimes look to speculate on these lads rather than offering them a real opportunity. If you look at the attacking positions in particular where established players cost a fortune and therefore have to 'work' for the manager who bought them, when's the last time someone progressed through the ranks? Sterling and Doak were pretty well known and coveted by a lot of clubs from early ages. Crucially, players lose a few years of development hanging around for an opportunity that doesn't arise. 

21 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I think us and other big clubs sometimes look to speculate on these lads rather than offering them a real opportunity. If you look at the attacking positions in particular where established players cost a fortune and therefore have to 'work' for the manager who bought them, when's the last time someone progressed through the ranks? Sterling and Doak were pretty well known and coveted by a lot of clubs from early ages. Crucially, players lose a few years of development hanging around for an opportunity that doesn't arise. 

I think our academy has given Sterling, Suso, Kacaniklic, Petersen, Kent, Wilson, Canos, Larouci chances to play and get moves to a high level. Not many centre forwards since Nemeth, but I don't think we're the reason the likes of Sinclair stalled (closest I can think of, we gave him opportunities after all). 

We hardly stand in players way if they choose to leave either, Adekanye and Camacho being two examples of hyped players that chose to move on.

8 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

It’s been most of the window and the season has started but yeah, we’ve not signed anyone for a week so people are moaning, that’s the reason.

Nor are we nearly a week closer to the window closing.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Are we back to pissing and moaning because it’s been almost a week since we signed anybody? 

People are rightfully disappointed that the window is almost closed and we've not come close to addressing our most pressing issues. I could easily counter that anyone not worried or disillusioned at this point has been gaslit by the owners into believing it's everyone's fault but theirs that we've not signed the players we need.

44 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Yep because as it stands its very underwhelming.

3 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

People are rightfully disappointed that the window is almost closed and we've not come close to addressing our most pressing issues. I could easily counter that anyone not worried or disillusioned at this point has been gaslit by the owners into believing it's everyone's fault but theirs that we've not signed the players we need.

We all agree we haven’t done enough so far. We certainly need another midfielder and a centre back. Otherwise it feels like we’re riding our luck hoping (for once) nobody gets injured. 

I wish we hadn’t have left it all this late, we are where we are. There is always a flurry of late activity before the window, hopefully a few players we’ve been after become available. 

I’ll judge at 11pm next Friday night. I fully agree after a good start,  as it stands, we haven’t done enough. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Feels absolute certainty we won’t bring another in. Really unprofessional and irresponsible from the crowd running the show. Compromising another season for one of our greatest ever managers. It’s fucking diabolical.

What is this certainty based on please?

I'm not as negative on this transfer window as most; I believe our team got a lot better but out squad depth is weaker.

These penny pinching FSG cunts really do need to fuck off though.

It's just a matter of time and a couple of key injuries before another season goes completely tits up.

They cannot repeatedly rely on Jurgen's magic and outright luck to see us through the season.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Previous transfer windows?

17 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Our August track record of doing nothing or signing absolute dross at the last minute? 

Thiago & Jota? Get that was a bit different.

My point is there is clearly still money available, Klopp hasn’t said we’re done & there are no stories from respected journalists saying we’re done.