You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Gonna be a fair bit of work next summer if we don't pull our finger out in rest of this window/in Jan....

Could eaisily see VVD, Salah, Matip, Gomez and Thiago all needing replacing.

Surely we learn our lesson and we phase the job - some of it now, some in Jan, some next summer.....smooth transition as opposed to another screeching halt and another 'rebuild'.....

10 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I wouldn’t be quite a scathing but I wasn’t particularly impressed last night. Didn’t influence the game until the red card. After that, he was a bit better and made a couple of decent passes in tight areas which his team mates wasted.

I think it’s difficult to judge when his side are very clearly drilled to be low block, everybody behind the ball, difficult to play through etc. They just seemed so passive, which is the opposite of what we’d expect from him. 

Palace aren’t on TV again before the window closes, so I think there ends my chances to watch him. 

The jury was out before last night and they are still out this morning. 

Also, generally speaking, it's easier to judge DMs at the ground than on telly.  A lot of their best work is in areas that aren't necessarily picked up by the camera.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Also, generally speaking, it's easier to judge DMs at the ground than on telly.  A lot of their best work is in areas that aren't necessarily picked up by the camera.

I also appreciate that.

Still, I was underwhelmed last night. Latest chatter is it wont happen anyway. 

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

Have the Echo done a 'Mac Alister not being suspended for three games will be like a new signing' type article yet?

I am off the bookies to put this weeks shopping money on him picking up an injury before weekend!....

This ESPN Brazil article apparently says (by those that have translated it) that, our offer having been rejected, we are not likely to return to the table in January.

With Doucoure seemingly off the table it’s not looking good at the moment.

Think we are about 70ml net spend this summer. With the players we needed it's fucking ridiculous. I'd understand if we did a deal for Andre in January and decided to wait 6 months as he's the guy, but if they don't address anything it'll be a joke and leaving us in a shit position of wasting another year trying to rebuild next year and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if that was under a new manager. If they don't back Klopp I could easy see him walking for the German job post Euro 2024

Were people seriously expecting them to get another midfielder in after we signed Endo last week?

That's it folks, that's the rebuild.

In fairness, we will be starting a brand new midfield when Endo gets up to speed. Let's hope they can stay fit.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Think we are about 70ml net spend this summer. With the players we needed it's fucking ridiculous. I'd understand if we did a deal for Andre in January and decided to wait 6 months as he's the guy, but if they don't address anything it'll be a joke and leaving us in a shit position of wasting another year trying to rebuild next year and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if that was under a new manager. If they don't back Klopp I could easy see him walking for the German job post Euro 2024

It's around 110 Million net spend if you include Gakpo and the wage bill significantly reduced as the four players coming in will be on far less than the seven that have left.

If Caicedo had accepted our offer they'd have shit themselves. There's no way they seriously wanted to finance a British record fee for a defensive midfielder!

Annoyingly I feel like we are only two players away from having a really good squad. Another centre back and midfielder and we are close to having a title challenging team.

Like a number of people though I think we are done.