You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We are apparently actually bidding for Andre. Whether that will happen this summer is the question. Probably not. 

We took the whole of July to think about players. We had the entire shit show of last season to think about players. We must be employing a lot of people who do next to fuck all.

20 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Oh definitely its a learning process.

My worry is that the squad is so paper thin, we won't get the chance to nail it down. If someone had said to you at the start of the summer that we would get rid of 8-9 and bring in three including a 30 year old, no one would accept it.

For me its the same old scene - the team is learning to make do, and I don't know how I would feel being a Salah, or a Virgil watching this stuff unfold and knowing we are short in many areas.

Im also starting to get annoyed with Jurgen because he must be a part of this "planning" by now as theres no one else about. Does he not realise he will have another exodus next summer? I just think sometimes he loves to play the underdog.

I stick by my assertion that it will take two bad results for everything to turn sour if we have finished in the market. Two results.

Who is going next summer? I assume Matip and Thaigo won’t have their contracts renewed. I can’t think of anybody we’d actively get rid of, unless mega money comes from Saudi for players. 

Two results? This place will be in meltdown if we have a bad result on Sunday! 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We took the whole of July to think about players. We had the entire shit show of last season to think about players. We must be employing a lot of people who do next to fuck all.

Football must be one of the few industries where you can make loads of mistakes and be crap at your job, albeit an owner, manager, player or ref and you get paid handsomely before eventually being fired and walking away with bags of cash.

If it was me in my job or any other industry id be fired immediately.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Who is going next summer? I assume Matip and Thaigo won’t have their contracts renewed. I can’t think of anybody we’d actively get rid of, unless mega money comes from Saudi for players. 

Well the way I was looking at is you have:

Matip

Thiago

As definite and then you are looking at VVD, Roberston and Salah being in the dusk of their careers, although Salah is super fit and could adapt his game.

Thats were im at.

PS you are correct theres definitely a scenario where we sell VDV, Robbo and Salah to the Saudis

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Think Salah might be a 50/50 call.

This place was in meltdown after the first pre-season game.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Well the way I was looking at is you have:

Matip

Thiago

As definite and then you are looking at VVD, Roberston and Salah being in the dusk of their careers, although Salah is super fit and could adapt his game.

Thats were im at.

PS you are correct theres definitely a scenario where we sell VDV, Robbo and Salah to the Saudis

Early days but VVD is looking very good again this season, I’ve said a few times, if he stays serious injury free I can see him playing for us until he’s Thiago Silva / Ramos etc again.

Robbo only turns 30 in March and is contracted until 2026. I’d be surprised.

I do think Mo could go either way. Having the worlds most famous sporting Muslim (or most famous Muslim at all) would be a huge feather in the Saudi cap. 

I’m more worried at the rumours of Alisson and Saudi. If they want him and he wants to go, I want a world record fee. Not a world record fee for a keeper, more than what PSG paid for Neymar. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Think Salah might be a 50/50 call.

This place was in meltdown after the first pre-season game.

Agree. I wonder if these Bakayoko links are in preparation for next summer? Still a lot to ask of Doak. 

48 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Early days but VVD is looking very good again this season, I’ve said a few times, if he stays serious injury free I can see him playing for us until he’s Thiago Silva / Ramos etc again.

Robbo only turns 30 in March and is contracted until 2026. I’d be surprised.

I do think Mo could go either way. Having the worlds most famous sporting Muslim (or most famous Muslim at all) would be a huge feather in the Saudi cap. 

I’m more worried at the rumours of Alisson and Saudi. If they want him and he wants to go, I want a world record fee. Not a world record fee for a keeper, more than what PSG paid for Neymar. 

Fair points.

I think in order for VVD to stay the course he needs legs around him and then he can be like Thiago at Chelsea using his positional awareness. I don't think Robbo will provide that in the long run and we don't play with a right back really. If Konate stays fit thats one. If we get in a real engine in the DM position thats younger than Endo it might work.

I think Salah definitely goes next summer for me, I think the club will look to cash in on him with the Saudis fro as much as they can get.

Just now, Reckoner said:

Thought the same about Hendo…Gerrard. Cha ching cha ching!

Salah and Alisson are another level to where Henderson was in his career though, and objectively were always vastly more valuable footballers. 

I agree that Mo will probably move on in the summer, but I reckon he'll give Real or PSG a go. That said, didn't realise he's already 31, though he seems to have Milner/Modric genes. 

29 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I hope we wouldn't entertain any sale of Allison or Salah to Saudi Arabia or anywhere, just don't see us replacing them adequately for any amount of money

Alisson is irreplaceable.

In terms of Salah, if Nunez learns how to play football, he has the goal scoring potential to replace some of the production and then we would sign someone and have Doak in reserve, who Im sure the club rate pretty highly. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Alisson is irreplaceable.

In terms of Salah, if Nunez learns how to play football, he has the goal scoring potential to replace some of the production and then we would sign someone and have Doak in reserve, who Im sure the club rate pretty highly. 

The future looks grim then

1 hour ago, Street Preacher said:

I could be making this up but i'm sure I read that we arw always planning two or three windows ahead. How the fuck does that work out with how this window is going? 

Planning on signing the likes of Bellingham in 3 transfer windows. What could possibly go wrong between now and then. 

1 minute ago, Dave D said:

The future looks grim then

I think we would find that replacing a Salah in his thirties is not as difficult as it would seem. 

This isnt 4 years ago when we had loads of top players at the top of their games that were irreplaceable. 

The proof is that we mega bundled Fabinhos sale and will probably be better for it anyway.