You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I can't think of another one who gets so much stick from outside the club and from our own fanbase though. We've got one poster on here who seems to have made it his one man mission to do Nunez down at every available opportunity, just as an example.

I think some of us enjoy watching him so naturally go on the defensive when he gets abuse. We are called 'Liverpool supporters' after all.

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

I can't think of another one who gets so much stick from outside the club and from our own fanbase though. We've got one poster on here who seems to have made it his one man mission to do Nunez down at every available opportunity, just as an example.

I think some of us enjoy watching him so naturally go on the defensive when he gets abuse. We are called 'Liverpool supporters' after all.

That’s fair enough, but it could be and has been argued that the reaction is from people who have been getting told from very early on that he should be loved and enjoyed and you’re wrong if you don’t

see it.

I think he’s alright - does some mind bogglingly stupid stuff, aside from the misses, but also does some great stuff. Personally I couldn’t give a fuck either way whether he’s here or not, but I think I’m like that with all players these days, so not a good test subject for that.

He drives me mad and excites me in almost equal measure, but I feel more attacked by the “if you don’t live him you don’t get it” faction generally than by the ones who moan about him.

As I say, there’s validity to both arguments. I certainly don’t subscribe to “if he wears red then he’s immune to negative stuff” and people who live by this seldom stick to it across the whole

squad.

1 hour ago, Curly said:

I honestly don’t get what sets him apart from other players though to be so loved. 

Now Milan Baros - that’s a lad who deserved more love. He was my Darwin. 1 speed and 1 speed only, whatever he was doing - sprint. Head down. Fucking legging it. I miss Meelan 

He's like Marmite. You either love him or you're gay. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

I know, it's an uncomfortable conversation that people don't want to have but we'd see a lot more honesty, and far less unnecessary protection, if it wasn't the case.

What about him being a scapegoat over others? It works both ways. Gakpo was atrocious in that first half. His thread didn't get bumped with wobblers dying to give him down the banks. Why? 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

What about him being a scapegoat over others? It works both ways. Gakpo was atrocious in that first half. His thread didn't get bumped with wobblers dying to give him down the banks. Why? 

Because no-one would have been arsed to reply. 

The Nunez wars are what keeps the forum alive.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Because he hasn't got a group of cheerleaders fawning over every brow movement, doesn't miss inexplicable shots on the regular, and looks a far more rounded footballer who stepped up for us when we had to mothball Nunez last season because he wasn't cutting it while being here less time and costing half as much.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Because he hasn't got a group of cheerleaders fawning over every brow movement, doesn't miss inexplicable shots on the regular, and looks a far more rounded footballer who stepped up for us when we had to mothball Nunez last season because he wasn't cutting it while being here less time and costing half as much.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

^^^^^^ This guy has posted more than anyone else in this thread.^^^^^^

"cheerleaders fawning"

5e36ec2219ce88654611b308ffb25a24.gif

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

^^^^^^ This guy has posted more than anyone else in this thread.^^^^^^

"cheerleaders fawning"

401 posts. It's borderline demented.

Nunez has been very poor at times recently, I have no problem saying it personally. But aye, I enjoy watching him, I like to see him start & that was a superb goal yesterday.

Nunez can go from the sublime to the ridiculous with the same touch of the ball. Sublimely ace, sublimely frustrating, ridiculously good, ridiculously ridiculous. I think he's boss and he's not even peak Noonyezz yet. Shite tache tho, so hopefully we can sell at a loss sooner rather than 100 goals later.

2 minutes ago, SilverSong said:

Nunez can go from the sublime to the ridiculous with the same touch of the ball. Sublimely ace, sublimely frustrating, ridiculously good, ridiculously ridiculous. I think he's boss and he's not even peak Noonyezz yet. Shite tache tho, so hopefully we can sell at a loss sooner rather than 100 goals later.

We've got quite a few with terrible facial hair. 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

This, basically.

Some people are so overinvested in Darwin being The Next Greatest Striker Ever they can’t or won’t see that he’s not really that level. He’s not shite or anything, I like his attitude, he does put in the effort, and he’s better than he was when he first joined, got to respect that.

But he’s never going to hit the heights of players we’ve had previously like Torres or Suarez or Fowler. There’s no shame in that. They were world class.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I reckon one of Nunez' fry ups would look like CD's efforts.

He has pineapple and aardvark on his fry ups.

Hahaha we did a family Xmas quiz and the answer to one question was eggnog but her auntie had wrote advocaat and we all swapped to mark the papers. Her mum goes “why have you put Aardvark?!” It was at that point we realised how pissed everyone was 

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Great film that 

One of my all time favourite films mate. Ive had a shit in that bar. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

This, basically.

Some people are so overinvested in Darwin being The Next Greatest Striker Ever they can’t or won’t see that he’s not really that level. He’s not shite or anything, I like his attitude, he does put in the effort, and he’s better than he was when he first joined, got to respect that.

But he’s never going to hit the heights of players we’ve had previously like Torres or Suarez or Fowler. There’s no shame in that. They were world class.

Or how about some Liverpool supporters are invested in Liverpool players doing well? While this threads main poster who is more invested in proving his football hipster status and being right than he is willing to give any credit anywhere. The hysteria on this thread is proved by the threads biggest contributor, who's been slagging Nunez off since before he kicked a ball for us. 

• Upvote 3

I like Nunez. He’s a significantly better player now that he was a year ago. 

If we can get our attackers firing more in the 2nd half of the season (I include Diaz & Gakpo in that as well), we’ll go really fucking close to winning the title. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I like Nunez. He’s a significantly better player now that he was a year ago. 

If we can get our attackers firing more in the 2nd half of the season (I include Diaz & Gakpo in that as well), we’ll go really fucking close to winning the title. 

I think all our forwards can contribute more than they did in the 1st half of the season. We also have to be ready for the idea after the last afcon, Salah came back completely exhausted. There's every chance that could happen again, so we need all of the lads to step up and also try and stay fit for the rest of the season. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think all our forwards can contribute more than they did in the 1st half of the season. We also have to be ready for the idea after the last afcon, Salah came back completely exhausted. There's every chance that could happen again, so we need all of the lads to step up and also try and stay fit for the rest of the season. 

I’d be interested to see if Nunez can fill that righthand spot. Both his goals against Newcastle came from that side and it’d be a change from the repeated cutting back inside on both wings. 

• Upvote 1