You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Horse racing is back from tomorrow. Loads of other sports given the go ahead and shielding has been abandoned. It appears we’ve made it to level one. That was easy. 

99596C9E-E443-43AC-8EDC-F9B5C8FCDB6F.jpeg

Isn't it like horse racing with no crowds and stuff though? Some normality is good for people's mental health.

Also, how long are those being shielded supposed to stay in their houses considering it's a consensus we still may never find a cure?

I can't stand this government or Johnson but I feel a lot of the stuff around lockdown is unrealistic. Loads of people on Facebook posting stuff about it being relaxed too soon. That's easy to say but doesn't take into account things like mental health, deaths from other diseases and the economy. So many businesses are not going to recover from this and people will be moaning about that next.

It's genuinely baffling to me that for a country that repeatedly votes Tory and professes to hate pinkos, everyone seems to want the state to do everything for them at the moment. 

"If dominic cummings flouts the rules then I can too."

Yes you can, but that's on you, not him, you're an adult.

"The country should protect me from a viral product of nature." Governments can try, but beyond shutting your door forever there's not much it can do.

"The government should preserve my job" okay it can for a bit, but its unsustainable longterm.

"Your clearly want me to go back to work so I can catch the aids and die." Don't go back to work then. "This is unjust, you're putting great british businesses on the scrapheap."

Lots of legitimate concerns out there, but lots of big kids too who've developed a taste for simple solutions to complex problems and demand both protection and employment the same way they'd demand a top up for their big head on their john smith's.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Edwyn C said:

Yeah that's fair enough. It seems like a lot of European countries have handled it badly.

It just seems like the tories have dealt with Covid especially badly. I don't know much about the governments in France, Italy, Spain etc  so maybe they have all fucked it up just as badly as we have?  

Not feels, they have.   Only the good old USA have fucked it up more.   England alwags have been theur retarded little brother tbf. 

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Not feels, they have.   Only the good old USA have fucked it up more.   England alwags have been theur retarded little brother tbf. 

You're all over the place 

• Upvote 1

Jenny Harries reassures a caller about fake callers on the track and trace  by saying you know they are not a scammer because the person on the other end of the phone will sound professional. Sadly I believe she wasnt joking.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/jenny-harries-track-and-trace-genuine-professional-a4455656.html

That's ok then

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Interesting read. I’m assuming the studies it refers to have been peer reviewed.

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

One of the videos I posted a few weeks ago talked about it being a virus which attacks the red blood cells to transport itself around the body and get to the ACE2 receptors. I'm so pleased they are working things out so well.

1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

For Brazil just copy and paste United Kingdom 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Jenny Harries reassures a caller about fake callers on the track and trace  by saying you know they are not a scammer because the person on the other end of the phone will sound professional. Sadly I believe she wasnt joking.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/jenny-harries-track-and-trace-genuine-professional-a4455656.html

That's ok then

Fucking hell. 

I can't decide if Jenny Harries is in on "the cull" or just very very wet behind the ears with all the shit she comes out with.  I wouldn't usually use this as a pejorative as it always seems childish, but I think she's probably a virgin. 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

The capacity though! That's nice. Wonder if that's the original headline and story, which really should have focussed on the actual testing number of 115,000. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but do they have the capacity to do 200k tests per day, but haven't got that target yet? 

If so, I'm playing devil's advocate here a bit. They only have a little over 100k applying for a test per day? Not exactly the governments fault if 200k a day don't want a test. 

I know here in Ireland we have the capacity for 10k tests a day. But u don't think they've ever carried that amount out. If they don't get 10k a day wanting them, they can't just grab random people off the street to fulfil a target

I'm presuming that's the case anyway

4 hours ago, TK421 said:

She's fucking awful. She's the one who said Cheltenham was fine to go ahead. 

She strikes me as someone who knows deep down she’s completely out of her depth. This has probably made her a valuable asset to the Govt. who don’t have to work that hard to get her to say, pretty much, anything they want. The risk is that if she’s easily influenced by Govt. she might easily be influenced by other senior medical advisors/scientists. If and when the two camps split (they already are to a degree) she may find herself descending into madness, or at least contradicting herself even more than she does now. 

7 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Sounds like they ran the models and this is what it came up with.

• Upvote 3

We need a rethink on how we work. Hours and shift patterns, what we actually think about life. Disclaimer Covid isn't a good thing I'll just say that now this is devastating  the loss of life and the economic cost. There's no positive to the virus.

But.. I've never had this much time off in my entire life unless you count pre school and isolation from other people aside I've loved not having the entire structure of my life dictated by work it's genuinely the first time in my life I've felt kind of free , mentally physically I feel fucking great, forget the shiny shit money buys, it's the time it can buy you that's what makes someone rich. People born into money must have zero clue about how life is, they are furloughed from the day they are born with the option of working and chasing dreams knowing there's a golden safety net under them all the time. How liberating must that be, you don't have the fear of falling.

My sister's, cousins and friends are spending amazing time with their kids, some of them barely see their kids at all now they are making memories, making things, going for walks of course the sunshine has helped. 

Of course we've got to work but time is the most precious commodity and that should come at a cost, 8+Hrs a day the 40 hour a week seems arbitrary. Quality of life takes a back seat to "just be a worker bee" you can relax when your old and too fucked to do anything else. We are more than cattle.  My grandad retired at 65 and was dead at 67, left school fought in a war then worked 12 hours a day pretty much until he died. Cattle! With Automation and climate change it seems fucking obscene that governments carrying on as usual with no forward thinking for better change. 

I've no idea how a UBI would work in terms of financing or some other way to reduce peoples hours and let them smell the roses. We've all lost people we love some very young, time is everything it's why I believe 100 percent a real living wage should be the absolute minimum hourly rate. Personally I think it would be a fucking disgrace to go back to the politics and systems to the way things were pre covid. Do we have a single forward thinker in British politics that doesn't want the status quo with slight adjustments here and there.

I believe in a mixed economy, I don't particularly like ideology, it's about balance. This country is totally off balance as human beings we are totally off balance. We know what's important really, usually when it's too late we are reminded of it.

• Upvote 15